Stealth Armor + Rocket Launcher = Broken Game

97 replies to this topic

#81 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 12:00 PM

Honestly, I expect them to simply revert to 1/missile like in TT.

That's enough to massively drop the alpha damage.

then why even use them?

the problem isnt that rocket launchers do a lot of damage

the problem is that you can fire multiple rocket launchers that do a lot of damage and do massive damage and instakill someone

so they just need to remove the ability to fire multiple rocket launchers

hardcap the number you can fire to one at a time. and have a universal cooldown that triggers for X seconds before the next one can be fired.

Edited by Khobai, 29 June 2017 - 12:01 PM.

#82 GrimRiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationIf not here and not there, then where?

Posted 29 June 2017 - 12:10 PM

View PostKhobai, on 29 June 2017 - 12:00 PM, said:

then why even use them?

the problem isnt that rocket launchers do a lot of damage

the problem is that you can fire multiple rocket launchers that do a lot of damage and do massive damage and instakill someone

so they just need to remove the ability to fire multiple rocket launchers

hardcap the number you can fire to one at a time. and have a universal cooldown that triggers for X seconds before the next one can be fired.

I wouldn't be opposed to the idea.

I can see the concerns for FW light suicide rush boating a bunch of RL20's for pure trolling.

Even though they are 1 shot the fact some people are already talking about suicide rush is troubling and after they're used the lights are pretty much useless running around waiting to die.

Maybe hardlock them to 2 at a time or something?

#83 Brain Cancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 12:18 PM

Knowing PGI, they'd get a Gauss-style charge and release, with the identical 2-per limit.

But yeah, limiting your max fired at once will also work.

#84 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 June 2017 - 12:30 PM

View PostSnazzy Dragon, on 28 June 2017 - 06:15 PM, said:

Ghost heat on a weapon that already just gets a single shot isn't going to do anything when the intent is to make just 1 shot count.

This ^...it's one shot and there are 11 others mechs. In QP the odds are you will not be the one that is hit with the RL and also that enemy pilot now has wasted slots and tonnage on a single shot weapon and is now gimped the rest of the match.

As far as Stealth Armor, you don't dissipate any heat at all when it is activated so any kind of combat will cause unbelievable heat. It cannot be sustained.

Edited by Coolant, 29 June 2017 - 12:31 PM.

#85 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 29 June 2017 - 02:24 PM

View PostrazenWing, on 28 June 2017 - 08:47 PM, said:

Really? Not from what I saw on theb33f's stream. He literally had it on and ran around for 2 minutes with no heat buildup.

So one of you guys are not playing the right game. Also, watch what b33f did, you can literally do what I described with all those restrictions you mentioned.

View PostThorn Hallis, on 29 June 2017 - 11:18 AM, said:

Uhm...aren't RL supposed to be one-shot-weapons?

And why is there no heat on the stealth armor? In BT you get constant 10 heat points when activating it.

I'm seriously confused. Posted Image

I'm not sure you guys understand the mechanic...

If it generates 1 H/s ALL THE TIME, no matter what...you'll never gain heat

That's because your mech, with 10 TrueDubs, dissipates at 2 H/s AT ALL TIMES, meaning you now have 10 SHS
That affects your guns a lot, but not your movement

PGI's version does not do that
It seems to generate 1% heat every 3 seconds (on a 15 DHS, no efficiency mech) while moving
It also completely stops dissipation

Left the game for 5 minutes after testing some weapons, still at the same % heat.
So, it's MUCH more punitive than TT. Stopping dissipation (2 MLs generating 8% heat, which is the same as the armor off)

#86 Orkimedes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 147 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 10:37 AM

When I tested stealth armour on Pirate's Bane, heat WAS dissipating from the mech, just very very slowly. ~a third of regular dissipation. This approximately falls in line with +1heat/second as it had 10 heat sinks, 7 of which in-engine.

light gauss stealth armour cicadas are probably going to be super annoying.

#87 East Indy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,229 posts
  • LocationPacifica Training School, waiting for BakPhar shares to rise

Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:02 PM

View PostKhobai, on 28 June 2017 - 06:28 PM, said:

I suppose another solution would be just to limit the number of rocket launchers that can fire at once to only one and then have a universal cooldown that prevents a second rocket launcher from firing until X amount of time passes.

Incidentally, that's how PGI could('ve) solve(d) alphas without Heat Scale, weapon nerfs that reduce the value of non-massed weapons, or indirect nerfs that usually end up hurting CQC.

Just fractions of seconds for most systems would be enough for the user to experience firing near-simultaneously while allowing dodging, twisting targets to spread damage — all without touching performance of individual weapons.

But anyway. Maybe next MWO.

#88 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:04 PM

what youre describing is literally energy draw. PGI was going to implement it but it was so unpopular they backed off on it.

#89 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:21 PM

What PGI learned is that weapons that can multi-strike to a single point break the game easier than everything else.

Thus, virtually every weapon is insured to have some kind of spread/splash/crippling flaw designed to keep them from doing so in the update.

It's a bit like poptarting. Rather than a good fix (weapons always shake when in midair, no matter what), they half-fixed it and broke jump jets.

When instant, perfect converging weapons are the problem, PGI does everything but address instant, perfect convergence.

#90 HaXX0r1337

• Pip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 05:44 PM

View PostrazenWing, on 28 June 2017 - 06:09 PM, said:

Technically, a lot of things in this game can be considered broken as hell, but this retardation is beyond believe.

Remember back 3 months ago when I predicted that Stealth Armor would be the most broken OP shat ever, and 75% of the people were like, "nah, there would be some sort of balance"

Nope.

Just watched theb33f ran around for 2 minutes straight with no heat buildup. ZERO. NONE. Yup, no need to ever turn it off.

And then, I watched theb33f used a Javalin with 6 RL20 launchers and erased an assault mech.

Put 2 and 2 together... and this is probably the most ******** combination ever that will break all kind of game play.

Jesus...

Cry baby, cry.
That means in total, you will gain max 210 dmg per match and one kill. And only if the enemy is dumb enough. Using RL makes you even dumber as your enemy.

#91 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:19 PM

View PostKhobai, on 30 June 2017 - 12:04 PM, said:

what youre describing is literally energy draw. PGI was going to implement it but it was so unpopular they backed off on it.

PGI's ED system was just a glorified GHv2. It was far cry from the Forced Chainfire mechanism I had envisioned for the ED.

#92 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:26 PM

forced chainfire seems a bit excessive to me.

most of MWO's PPFLD problems stem from the same two offending weapons.

PGI just needs to be more heavy handed when balancing those weapons.

#93 Lances107

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 291 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:41 PM

I am not so sure this is a question of the one item being op. Referring to the stealth armor. Assuming it is picked up by seismic sensor, then there really is only two things that need to be done. The seismic sensor needs to be added at the very beginning of one of the skill trees. There must be a major heat penalty.

Argument for the heat penalty is simple, clan weapons from top to bottom are chocked with ghost heat. Now the reasoning behind this is, without it clans would be op. Well ok right back at you on the stealth armor.

Now look at the rockets one shot one kill. Really? Now look at the mangled mess that is the ATM. Lock on, must be fired before the minimum damage, and does spread damage. At the very least these rockets should be doing a very wide spread damage all over the place. Otherwise ungimp the ATMs so the clans have there equivalent of one shot one kill. Speaking of which if I recall correctly you increased the spread of the srms for clans. Even if you go ahead do what I am suggestion for rockets, I would suggest you unerf the srms in this area to give us somewhat a fighting chance. This is assuming the information I read int he op is accurate. I am not testing at this current time.

#94 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:43 PM

nah, that rl troll will probibly get iced by his own team before he encounters the enemy.

#95 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 03 July 2017 - 07:46 PM

its funny that people are actually surprised by PGI's genius level $#@$ still

#96 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 03 July 2017 - 07:59 PM

I'm surprised that people seem to forget they are a one use weapon. You'd get one kill but your effectively useless after that.

#97 Valhallan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 484 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 09:46 PM

And that beef's kills were point blank rear shots, you could accomplish the same with the srm36 fat jenner2c, and that one could reload.

#98 qS Sachiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 373 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 11:43 PM

ghost heat?
change stealth armor heat buildup/
insert xyz balance strategy?

don't worry, keep whinging and it will get changed....
eventually?

View PostLupis Volk, on 03 July 2017 - 07:59 PM, said:

I'm surprised that people seem to forget they are a one use weapon. You'd get one kill but your effectively useless after that.

*cough* theresyourbalance*cough*

Edited by qS Sachiel, 03 July 2017 - 11:50 PM.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users