Are Atms Supposed To Have A 180M Minimum Range?

8 replies to this topic

#1 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:32 AM

I just tested ATM3 in testing ground and was somewhat suprised to find they did nothing at 179m, 181m they hit and do damage but not at 179.
is this intentional or accidental, and has anyone else noticed this?

#2 Duvanor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 477 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:50 AM

It is intentional, it makes no sense, people have noticed.

Here: https://mwomercs.com...no-reduced-yes/
or here: https://mwomercs.com...mo-per-ton-why/

#3 Tyroki

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 109 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:51 AM

It's intentional, and no, no one likes it.

#4 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 29 June 2017 - 03:44 AM

it would have been nice if PGI put something about this on the new weapons breakdown.

with them like this I will never use them because they cannot hit for most of their optomal range, also lock on makes them much less useful for killing and removing componants than regular SRMs.
I suppose the extra damage up close makes them slightly better than cLRMs

#5 Duvanor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 477 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 05:01 AM

ATMs are only better than cLRMs at 180 to 270 meters. More than that and LRMs have more damage per ton of ammo and damage per salvo is not that different because ATMs shoot less missiles. Less missiles also means AMS is more effective because every missile it shoots down counts for 2 damage in medium range.

So, as it is, no ATM for me. LRM and SRM will do way better.

Edited by Duvanor, 29 June 2017 - 05:01 AM.

#6 Weepy Wanebow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 171 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 05:14 AM

http://www.sarna.net...actical_Missile

The weapon is supposed to have different Ammo types and for all purposes have a built in Artemis system. PGI doesn't do different ammo types so they have it's damage changing by range of impact. The high yield, shot range missiles in lore have no minimum range and in MWO the variable damage based on range lip service system shouldn't have a minimum range either. It doesn't have indirect fire (which is good and how it should be) but ATMs shouldn't behave like a weird semi-streak missile system.

#7 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 June 2017 - 05:22 AM

Would you prefere if the damage drop would be linear until the max range instead of "stairs" ?

Or would you "need" a increasing dmg ramp up similar to cLRM before you would use ATMs?
... without making SRM /LRM obsolete!

#8 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 06:52 AM

I think ATMs are good except for the minimum range.
Compared to LRM and SRM they are heavier, generate more heat and have a longer cooldown. Also they are easly shut down by AMS because of their slow speed and they spread a lot.
Also an most imporent, you have to carry a LOT of ammo compared to LRM/SRM builds that use the same tonnage.

So I think ATMs have enough drawbacks to drop the minimal range !

#9 RaptorRage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 133 posts
  • LocationLB-79

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:23 AM

Minimum range for ATMs in the source material is 4 hexes or 120 meters for the standard and long range ammo, not 180 meters like the LRMs. Besides the whole issue that minimum range is supposed to be an accuracy penalty and not a damage cutoff. But the HE ammo for ATMs has no minimum range and if the damage dropoff of the ATMs in this implementation is meant to be a substitute for the inability to have ammo switching then there shouldn't be any minimum range at all to represent the HE ammo being used at close range.

Edited by RaptorRage, 29 June 2017 - 10:24 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users