Clan Heavy Lasers... The Colours Violet And Orange Are Reserved For You!

6 replies to this topic

#1 Felbombling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,976 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 29 June 2017 - 03:44 PM

I alluded to this in another post yesterday, about being disappointed that the new Clan laser weapons were not taking advantage of the colour spectrum when it comes to intensity. I'm just thinking that violet would be a wonderful colour for the Clan Heavy Laser, and orange would be a great choice for the Heavy Medium Laser.

Let's put some bugs in PGI's collective ear and get this changed. It would be a great visual cue to the players, as well as a welcome addition to the already colourful battlefield.

Edited by Felbombling, 29 June 2017 - 03:45 PM.

#2 Gryphorim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 382 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 05:35 PM

Personally, I'd leave orange or violet for the microlasers, and use a different visual effect to differentiate heavy lasers. I'd suggest intensifying the flicker that lasers all have, to nearly as pronounced as a pulse laser, but without any rhythm to the flickering. Alternatively, or additionally, have the beam emit embers along it's length, to make it seem "hotter."

Howver heavy lasers need some balance adjustment first. Personally, I think their duration needs to be brought down to same as ER lasers. They weigh the same, but pay for increased up front damage with crit space, heat, range, and cooldown, so it seems reasonable to shorten their duration to the same as the clans previous worst performers.

#3 MechTech Dragoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 308 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 08:04 PM

Personally, for heavy lasers i think their duration should be shorter than clan regular lasers, however they should have much wider beams resulting in splash damage.
Also, different colors is a must at least. Purely from a fidelity perspective, them being the same as others is a problem.
Also....different laser barrels for different size lasers...

#4 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:50 PM

Personally, I'd leave orange or violet for the microlasers

microlasers should be pink. weaker lasers should have lighter colors.

stronger lasers should have darker colors. orange, turquoise/cyan, and purple should be for the heavy lasers.

Personally, for heavy lasers i think their duration should be shorter than clan regular lasers

then why would you ever use regular lasers? their durations should definitely be the longest durations of all clan lasers, but their durations should be shorter than they are now.

Heavy Small should be 1.2 instead of 1.35
Heavy Medium should be 1.35 instead of 1.6
Heavy Large should be 1.5 instead of 1.7

Heavy Large also needs its heat reduced from 17 to like 13-14

The main purpose of heavy lasers is for mechs that have limited energy hardpoints. It basically allows you to stick two lasers in one hardpoint. That hardpoint compression is really their only advantage and the only reason to ever use them.

Edited by Khobai, 29 June 2017 - 09:56 PM.

#5 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,924 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:29 PM

no two lasers should look the same. that is all. this includes is and clan all laser types.

#6 Felbombling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,976 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 30 June 2017 - 10:34 AM

Yeah, I cannot agree with Gryphorim on the micro lasers. The 'heavier' the beam, the more toward the upper end of wave frequency the colour should be, thus my suggestion for violet being assigned to the Heavy Large Laser. Seems to make perfect sense to me from that standpoint. I will agree that the Clan Heavy Lasers seem to be punished in every way imaginable with the current stats. Long burn time, bulky, long cool down, high heat and stunted range. PGI needs to give them something somewhere to make them viable. The only Mechs that will end up using them will be energy hard point starved Mechs with extra crit space available, but not spare tonnage... and that would only be if the player had a specific weapon combination in mind. I imagine Heavy Lasers + Gauss Rifle or some other similarly cool weapon could be viable, but there always seems to be a better alternative on the weapon tables than opting for the Heavy Laser class.

Edited by Felbombling, 30 June 2017 - 10:35 AM.

#7 MechTech Dragoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 308 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 11:22 AM

[color=#959595]then why would you ever use regular lasers? their durations should definitely be the longest durations of all clan lasers, but their durations should be shorter than they are now[/color]

*resulting in splash* meaning the beams damage gets spread over an area. So youd get a stronger laser with shorter beam duration, but that spread its damage over a wider area.
Aside from this, electrical interference with aiming after firing should be a disadvantage as well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users