Er Laser Ranges

6 replies to this topic

#1 Schlauke

Rookie

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 03:10 AM

According to the recent patch note about the energy weapons changes and the rebalancings for ER lasers in that patch the idea was for clans to have better damage and range while IS has the advantage in burn durations and heat generation.

Looking at that statement and at the new IS ER lasers (small and medium) I am wondering why those lasers outrange their clan counterparts?
  • Clan ER small laser max range: 360
  • IS ER small laser max range: 400
  • Clan ER medium laser max range: 688
  • IS ER medium laser max range: 720

I think with the IS getting ER lasers and target computers loosing their beam range bonus maybe its time to revert the max range reduction clan ER small and medium lasers got a while ago, making them have a max range of double their optimal range again.

That would make the destinction between clan and IS lasers more consistent as well.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 30 June 2017 - 03:17 AM

For me the surprise was the IS ERSL having the same optimal range of 200m as the Clan ERSL. However, it can't really be reduced at all because the weapon is barely on the edge of viability and also the regular IS SL has its own range heavily boosted.

#3 ADI84000

• PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 04:41 AM

LOL and in the tooltips clan lasers have longer ranges but take longer to do damage..... well is er lasers have greater range and shorter burn time i guess .....

#4 davoodoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 05:29 AM

View PostADI84000, on 30 June 2017 - 04:41 AM, said:

LOL and in the tooltips clan lasers have longer ranges but take longer to do damage..... well is er lasers have greater range and shorter burn time i guess .....

Less damage though.

is ermed 5 dmg for 4.5 heat, clan ermed 7 dmg for 6 heat.

If something clans are actually more heat efficient.
1.16 dmg per heat vs 1.11 of is.

#5 Schlauke

Rookie

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 05:54 AM

Yes for ER small and ER medium lasers clans are more heat efficient than IS, but less max range.
For all other lasers its the other way around, so thats strange / inconsistent I think.

#6 Zhiel

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:38 AM

View PostSchlauke, on 30 June 2017 - 03:10 AM, said:

According to the recent patch note about the energy weapons changes and the rebalancings for ER lasers in that patch the idea was for clans to have better damage and range while IS has the advantage in burn durations and heat generation.

Looking at that statement and at the new IS ER lasers (small and medium) I am wondering why those lasers outrange their clan counterparts?
I think with the IS getting ER lasers and target computers loosing their beam range bonus maybe its time to revert the max range reduction clan ER small and medium lasers got a while ago, making them have a max range of double their optimal range again.

That would make the destinction between clan and IS lasers more consistent as well.

This.

#7 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:42 AM

View PostSchlauke, on 30 June 2017 - 03:10 AM, said:

The Clan ER Lasers also deal more damage than the IS ER Lasers, so the range advantage is mostly theoretically. Yes, you can deal minimum amount of damage beyond the range of the Clan Laser, but you're mostly just heating your mech up.

You don't kill enemies at 688 or 720m range with these weapons. The range it makes sense you're using these weapons is probably somewhere around 600m, and at that range, the Clan lasers are already better.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users