I Was Too Sadmad To Post Till Now Ghr-5P

34 replies to this topic

#21 KekistanWillRiseAgain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 06:00 PM

[Redacted]

Edited by draiocht, 04 July 2017 - 12:07 PM.
unconstructive

#22 jonfett

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 355 posts
  • LocationSitting on a NaCl mountain in a place called Puglandia

Posted 02 July 2017 - 10:31 PM

I just played my 5P, and why does it move around like it has tank treads? It slides instead of walking... Also, the inside-the-cockpit turning is all over-extended. I can;t get used to how wonky it is right now. WTF did PGI do to it?!

Edited by jonfett, 03 July 2017 - 11:26 AM.

#23 Baron Zen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 371 posts
  • LocationVenice (Italy)

Posted 02 July 2017 - 10:46 PM

I bought a grasshopper 5p after the so "nerf"so I had the chance to study it without previous know how, so I reached these conclusions: it is too much tall for tanking anything, armor or not, ppl use it as a hill humper but still take damage in trading, so we have a tall mech but that fits also 4 JJs and has same jump height of a night but but with better mounts... So what I did? 4 large pulse laser (and 2 small lasers for just have the pulse in high mount ) mid range poptart, it take profit of an otherwise bad design choice, that height means less need to fly and expose, together with high mounts, magically i doubled my damage, k/d with this March and have an IS night gyr like without the laser heatsink of a gyr ok, but a 20x2 damage almost pinpoint is nothing to scoff at, also you can reach those magic spots where no jj mechs can do nothing to you ;).

P.s. I think the black knight 7L had a worse nerf, it traded his long range bonus, it's selling point, for a 5% laser duration reduction when usually the Knight uses large pulse lasers.

Edited by Baron Zen, 02 July 2017 - 10:50 PM.

#24 Ruslan Savelyev

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 11:35 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 02 July 2017 - 05:10 PM, said:

Whar is your tier level? Show me your tier now so it can lend weight to your argument.

If he got that avg match score in group queue that question is entirely pointless, that mode matches first timers in with / against comp drops all the time.

View PostKekistanWillRiseAgain, on 02 July 2017 - 06:00 PM, said:

[Redacted]

Near 2-1 W/L and 3.5-1 KDR with probably 700-850 avg damage per game is not contributing to a "rollstomp"(roflstomp?) in a game where the average contribution of an assault or heavy is probably around 270. 5xERLL GHR is an overwatch 'Mech and it should do quite a bit of damage and die last, so you are really attempting to insult someone for effectively playing a build in exactly its intended role.

I'm not a fan of PGIs P2Optimize design philosophy, but the -5P was never really intended to be tanky and did just lose .15 sec of duration with the energy balance pass. Mental math... 12% or so less exposure time, it is probably better off that it was before June 20 for someone good at the poke game.

Edited by draiocht, 04 July 2017 - 12:08 PM.
Quote Clean-Up

#25 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 03 July 2017 - 12:21 AM

View PostRuslan Savelyev, on 02 July 2017 - 11:35 PM, said:

If he got that avg match score in group queue that question is entirely pointless, that mode matches first timers in with / against comp drops all the time.

Nah I think he solo-qed the leaderboard challenge. His tier will tell me if he farmed lowbies or faced any challenge at all.

#26 Roadbuster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,437 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 03 July 2017 - 02:08 AM

I understand the value of high weapon mounts, but why do people dislike arm hardpoints that much?
I'm running the 5J and 5H (don't ask me why), and they run very well. I use them as skirmishers though. Not as sniper or poptart, because there are better mechs for sniping and I don't poptart.
I can't count the times I was able to kill mechs without any danger because I was able to shoot down or up at them, while they couldn't reach me with their torso weapons.
Arm weapons, and arms in general, enable you to target fast mechs with ease, and they also increase your survivability, if you know how to spread incomming damage.

Off topic:
Sometimes I find it funny when people say that the firepower skill tree is worthless, or how important the survival tree is, while crying about a 5% range "nerf" or taking all armor out of the arms.
*grabs popcorn*

#27 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 03 July 2017 - 03:24 AM

View PostRoadbuster, on 03 July 2017 - 02:08 AM, said:

I understand the value of high weapon mounts, but why do people dislike arm hardpoints that much?
I'm running the 5J and 5H (don't ask me why), and they run very well. I use them as skirmishers though. Not as sniper or poptart, because there are better mechs for sniping and I don't poptart.
I can't count the times I was able to kill mechs without any danger because I was able to shoot down or up at them, while they couldn't reach me with their torso weapons.
Arm weapons, and arms in general, enable you to target fast mechs with ease, and they also increase your survivability, if you know how to spread incomming damage.

One: Arms are easily shot off.
Two: More specifically to the 5P, the thing was used as the primary heavy for answering clan long range PPFLD. No other heavy IS mech had its combo of quirks, high hard points, durability and JJ. A 5J with most of its hard points in the arms just can't do the 5P's (former) job as well. As to the 5H I think an argument was always there that it was a close second to the 5P but not due to its arm mounts but rather because of its armor quirks. The real question -especially if you favor arm mounts- is what about the 5N? Combo of 4 torso and 4 arms ought to perfect, and yet...

#28 Cyrion

• PipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 07:25 AM

View PostKekistanWillRiseAgain, on 02 July 2017 - 06:00 PM, said:

[Redacted]

What's puzzling to me is why you would assume anything about a match you weren't a part of. I was on the front the entire time. It was HPG which has lots of nice little ways to stay up front and then get out of the line of fire. I think I died after getting down to 25% on my mech. Because of the boxer roll I mentioned and because the 5P is a great mech.

Sorry you aren't good enough to do well in such a clearly awesome mech. But hey, you're a tough guy on the forums and that's what counts, right? Posted Image

Edited by draiocht, 04 July 2017 - 12:08 PM.
Quote Clean-Up

#29 Cyrion

• PipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 07:37 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 03 July 2017 - 12:21 AM, said:

Nah I think he solo-qed the leaderboard challenge. His tier will tell me if he farmed lowbies or faced any challenge at all.

I started playing in January, Bandito. Been playing a bit every week since then. I'm just about to crack into Tier 1. You let me know how to show it on here and I'll be glad to throw it up. Though the matchmaker is so awful I don't know why you think this matters. When I was Tier 5 and 4 months ago I was getting thrown into games where guys from EmP, DERP, EVIL, and the like were on the opposite side. I've also been in games where people talk about how they're Tier 1 and then they can't even seem to pilot their mech well, much less shoot straight. The Tier system in this game is a joke, IMHO.

99% of my games are in solo queue. That's where I landed Top 50 on the GHR leaderboard w/ the 5P. That's where I landed Top 50 on the K9 and Grinner boards, too. /humblebrag Posted Image

Outside of that one game in solo queue, I played 10 games in a row in Group Queue w/ my brother all in the 5P. Ran the gamut from scrubs to KCom on the other side. I specifically did it because of this thread. Normally I'd jump around between mechs. Actually sticking to the same mech helps a lot. You get into a groove and things get real fun.

The 5P is a great mech. I think you guys just get overly sensitive when a really great IS mech takes a quirk hit. Which is somewhat understandable since so many of the IS mechs are trash-tier, but the histrionics is a little much in this case. The 5P is still a killer. I won't sit here and argue it's the best Heavy in the game (though isn't that really all subjective in the end?), but it's great and fun to play.

I'm not an amazing player, but I do amazing in the 5P. Don't see why great players like yourself couldn't as well.

Edit: Found the checkbox under the Profile page! Confirmed Forum Warrior now. Posted Image

Edited by Cyrion, 03 July 2017 - 07:59 AM.

#30 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 03 July 2017 - 07:50 AM

PGI killed the 5P to boost sales of the Mjolnir. They can dress it up any way they like. But that is very obviously what happened.

I believe the only thing that saved the 5H's heat quirks is that there's an (S) version in a Steam Pack.

Edited by Appogee, 03 July 2017 - 08:19 AM.

#31 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 05:28 PM

View PostCyrion, on 03 July 2017 - 07:37 AM, said:

I started playing in January, Bandito. Been playing a bit every week since then. I'm just about to crack into Tier 1. You let me know how to show it on here and I'll be glad to throw it up. Though the matchmaker is so awful I don't know why you think this matters. When I was Tier 5 and 4 months ago I was getting thrown into games where guys from EmP, DERP, EVIL, and the like were on the opposite side. I've also been in games where people talk about how they're Tier 1 and then they can't even seem to pilot their mech well, much less shoot straight. The Tier system in this game is a joke, IMHO.

99% of my games are in solo queue. That's where I landed Top 50 on the GHR leaderboard w/ the 5P. That's where I landed Top 50 on the K9 and Grinner boards, too. /humblebrag Posted Image

Outside of that one game in solo queue, I played 10 games in a row in Group Queue w/ my brother all in the 5P. Ran the gamut from scrubs to KCom on the other side. I specifically did it because of this thread. Normally I'd jump around between mechs. Actually sticking to the same mech helps a lot. You get into a groove and things get real fun.

The 5P is a great mech. I think you guys just get overly sensitive when a really great IS mech takes a quirk hit. Which is somewhat understandable since so many of the IS mechs are trash-tier, but the histrionics is a little much in this case. The 5P is still a killer. I won't sit here and argue it's the best Heavy in the game (though isn't that really all subjective in the end?), but it's great and fun to play.

I'm not an amazing player, but I do amazing in the 5P. Don't see why great players like yourself couldn't as well.

Thats all I needed to see. Even though MM is truly bad, tiers still mean something on average. You are T2 so you are more likely than me to face T4-5 potatoes on average. Still, it is high enough to lend weight to your argument. Perhaps I should take another look at the 5P.

#32 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 05:32 PM

Im do think the removal of defensive quirks had shoehorned the 5P into sniper role, where as it did good in mid-range as well as sniping.

#33 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 03 July 2017 - 05:46 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 03 July 2017 - 05:32 PM, said:

Im do think the removal of defensive quirks had shoehorned the 5P into sniper role, where as it did good in mid-range as well as sniping.

5P is optimally built for sniping, whereas the 5H is optimal for "energy brawling" due to heat gen quirks.

#34 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 05:51 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 03 July 2017 - 05:46 PM, said:

5P is optimally built for sniping, whereas the 5H is optimal for "energy brawling" due to heat gen quirks.

Having all three LPLs on high mounts was very good for my midrange 5P. Far less capable now that it is nerfed.

#35 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 03 July 2017 - 07:10 PM

View Postjonfett, on 02 July 2017 - 10:31 PM, said:

I just played my 5P, and why does it move around like it has tank treads? It slides instead of walking... Also, the inside-the-cockpit turning is all over-extended. I can;t get used to how wonky it is right now. WTF did PGI do to it?!

Well they changed nothing in relation to what you are talking about.

Just some quirks, which have no bearing on what you are making up outta thin air.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users