Is Ultra Ac/20's Do Not Have Ghost Heat

15 replies to this topic

#1 SpectralFury

Rookie

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 06:21 PM

Probably an oversight. Simply put this allows some astonishing burst if you're running a dual UAC/20 build. I was able to double-double tap 3.5 times on a heat neutral map before an overheat with 4 external heatsinks.

#2 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 06:24 PM

I mean, I'm okay with that. I think even the standard AC/20 and cUAC/20 need that limit removed; they aren't exactly the shining stars of MWO.

#3 davoodoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 06:29 PM

I love how iconic weaponry of kgc is worst build you can do due to ghost heat.

#4 Chados

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 30 June 2017 - 06:50 PM

Oh yeah. I got stuck in front of a dual u20 KGC in a Banshee and melted like a sno-cone in Brooklyn in August. You'd think the darn thing would have jammed on him once or twice. When I try that I jam every other shot!

#5 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 06:52 PM

View PostChados, on 30 June 2017 - 06:50 PM, said:

Oh yeah. I got stuck in front of a dual u20 KGC in a Banshee and melted like a sno-cone in Brooklyn in August. You'd think the darn thing would have jammed on him once or twice. When I try that I jam every other shot!

RNGesus was displeased with you, clearly.

#6 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:15 PM

View PostChados, on 30 June 2017 - 06:50 PM, said:

You dont pack 30 tons of ballistic weaponry + at least 8 tons of ammo + at least 14 dhs including engine to tickle enemy to death do you?

#7 Aggravated Assault Mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 825 posts
  • Locationlocation location

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:17 PM

The only mech that can really abuse it is the MAL-2P. King Crab jam chance is too high.

When MAL-2P got the additional 10% UAC jam chance in the last live patch I was expecting to run it with UAC10s after the CW patch, but that was because I was taking it for granted that UAC20s would have ghost heat.

I don't think dual UAC20 is quite powerful enough to warrant lowering the ghost heat cap considering the size and weight investment vs. Clan ballistics, but the MAL-2P will probably need its UAC jam chance quirk toned back.

Edited by Aggravated Assault Mech, 30 June 2017 - 07:18 PM.

#8 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:19 PM

Well theres always chance to make mauler into is kodiak, 2 uac10 2 uac5.

#9 Aggravated Assault Mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 825 posts
  • Locationlocation location

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:52 PM

View Postdavoodoo, on 30 June 2017 - 07:19 PM, said:

Well theres always chance to make mauler into is kodiak, 2 uac10 2 uac5.

It will be viable but I don't think it'll make it's way to the top.

It runs a lot hotter and carries a lot less ammo than the Kodiak. The Mauler is more agile than the Kodiak (which is faster), but it's still about as close as you can get to the "slow" end of the spectrum without being in a 100t mech- which is a major deciding factor in viability in the current meta. In my test it really felt like I was forcing it to work rather than adapting to the strengths of the chassis and general tech base.

On the MAL-1R and -1P, Quad UAC5s makes much more sense since it fits an LFE, letting you take a 325, armored arms and a pair of SL/single ML/ton of ammo. Alternatively quad AC5 or LB5X, 2 MPL, 325 LFE. Even if you can accept the heat on 2x UAC10 + 2x UAC5, 62kph > 52kph massively improves your ability to stay alive and contribute to victory.

The -2P with the UAC jam quirks only carries two ballistic hardpoints, so it's basically UAC10s or UAC20s with an 325 LFE and two MPL.

MX90 will probably still be 5 AC5s.

Edited by Aggravated Assault Mech, 30 June 2017 - 07:55 PM.

#10 John1352

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:02 PM

I think it is long past time for 2x IS AC20 to have its ghost heat reduced by about 80%. Even clan heavy mechs like NTGs can run around with 40 PPFLD (2 Gauss, 1 ERPPC) producing roughly half as much heat as 2 AC20s fired together, with more than double the range.

As far as ultras, maybe an extra ~8 heat for firing 2x UAC20s at once? It would make the choice between alternating fire and alpha striking a tough one that depends on the situation.

Edited by John1352, 30 June 2017 - 08:03 PM.

#11 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 01:11 AM

Seems reaonable to me. It's not like it's pinpoint damage anymore with multiple bullets.

And eve AC/20 shouldn't have a Ghost Heat trigger of 2. We got worse alpha strike potential than that in the game already, and often at higher range than the AC/20.

There was a time where most or all ballistics had a maximum range of triple their optimal range, at that point, the Dual AC/20 might have been too good.

#12 Juju Shinobi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 01 July 2017 - 01:36 AM

Leave it without ghost heat. It's actually really usable and fun to use when you can fire 2 of them at a time. It also makes the King Crab's iconic build actually decent

#13 SmokedJag

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 03:29 AM

Remove or reduce the ghost heat from the other 20's instead.

#14 l33tworks

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,270 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 01 July 2017 - 03:43 AM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 01 July 2017 - 01:11 AM, said:

Seems reaonable to me. It's not like it's pinpoint damage anymore with multiple bullets.

And eve AC/20 shouldn't have a Ghost Heat trigger of 2. We got worse alpha strike potential than that in the game already, and often at higher range than the AC/20.

There was a time where most or all ballistics had a maximum range of triple their optimal range, at that point, the Dual AC/20 might have been too good.

Exactly. Its burst so its not pinpoint. It was probably done on purpose. And Yes we do have much higher PP alpha strikes.

#15 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 07:15 AM

2xuac20, 6 mls.

Do it, the giggles are contagious.

It's a fun Mauler.

#16 Top Leliel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:08 AM

PGI should do the following:

1) remove ghost heat from AC/20

2) remove ghost heat from Clan UACs

3) reduce clan UAC jam chances in general(since IS have similar weapons now and the kodiak lost its agility)

4) remove ghost heat from RACs

At this point, there is a major imbalance in the game due to arbitrary nerfs like these: these ballistic weapons are not "meta" anymore and don't deserve the pain.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users