Atms 2.0

11 replies to this topic

#1 ADI84000

• PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 05:53 AM

well for the number of slots/tons/ to little ammo...
and also huge cooldown.... it does nothing almost
it needs more velocity to be able to hit a target before it goes to cover i tried shooting a guy and it gave him 1-2 seconds to run back to cover and my missiles where in the air when he started running....so if they peek and poke u have no chance of hitting them .... because the velocity is very low.... and cooldown very high
also when u get in brawling range... it does mostly nothig it needs to have no minimum range... so u can use them in all tactics brawl mid range long range its a tactical missile with no brawl use and not good at peek and poke
double its velocity and reduce spread....... and lower cooldown and lets see if we can use it for something ....

#2 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 01 July 2017 - 07:01 AM

The problem is they're a cross with a streak,srm and lrm. You can't make them must better without basically removing the others.

If you want better long range you go with lrm.
If you need speed for poke fights it's srm.
If you need no min with tracking it's streaks.

If you want everything but not as good ATM.

Biggest issue I see with them now is ams takes them out way to easy. I would like to see more health on the missiles.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 01 July 2017 - 07:03 AM.

#3 ADI84000

• PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 07:06 AM

lol ure reply ..... well they need to be almost as good as lrms . streaks and srms considering u cant boat em like having 6 streaks or srms... or 6 lrms with low cooldown ... and they have more heat tonnage and less ammo

#4 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 01 July 2017 - 07:28 AM

Was do they need to be almost as good as lrms? If they did just as much dmg at 600+m there would be little reason to ever take lrms.

Right now they're almost as good as streaks. I might never take streaks again. They're legging lights without much issue.

#5 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 07:33 AM

Streaks are **** for anything but lights.

What they need is a velocity increase so I can use them effectively in concert with direct fire and then damage scaling falloff inside 120m.

Then they're a great weapon that is flexible enough to do what has never happened - make missiles viable with direct fire and put all those mechs with a bunch of mixes hardpoints back on the table again.

#6 ADI84000

• PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 08:19 AM

needs more velocity ... allot more and no min range...

#7 Furball72

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 08:31 AM

I think they've completely ignored the BT rules regarding ATMs.

ATMs are supposed to have their ranges based on the type of ammo being used... 2 types of ammo have a minimum range of 120m (not the 180 that PGI has given them), while the 3rd type of ammo has no minimum range but a range of 270m

ATMs are also supposed to be Streak-style weapons, so if the weapon fires (which requires a lock), all the missiles hit. Being the way they are, they cannot be fired indirectly (which is why LRMs will continue to have a place in the Clan arsenal)

PGI has really dropped the ball on this one, because this seems more of a regression than an advancement.

Edited by Furball72, 01 July 2017 - 08:33 AM.

#8 ADI84000

• PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 08:35 AM

well just remove min range and .... just make the velocity 20% higher and u can fire them at short range like water hose
also the 72 ammo per ton... is very low ....
also atm 9 6 3 should have theyre cooldowns much lower and lower heat...

Edited by ADI84000, 01 July 2017 - 08:36 AM.

#9 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:27 AM

How about seeing you can dry fire them , buff the speed when dry fired but leave them slower when locked.

A locked low skill weapon shouldn't be replacing srms.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 01 July 2017 - 10:41 AM.

#10 Jeldar Darkmantle

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:39 AM

View PostFurball72, on 01 July 2017 - 08:31 AM, said:

ATMs are also supposed to be Streak-style weapons, so if the weapon fires (which requires a lock), all the missiles hit.

In TT this is not true. ATMs have built in artemis fire control not streak. There was some experimental tech in one of the sourcebooks which had iATMs, which had streak technology. Again this was experimental tech though, which was then burned to the ground.

#11 Brain Cancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:41 AM

I love all the complaints asking for higher velocity.

If only people had been so energized about LRM launchers, which have the exact same speed.

View PostFurball72, on 01 July 2017 - 08:31 AM, said:

I think they've completely ignored the BT rules regarding ATMs.

ATMs are supposed to have their ranges based on the type of ammo being used... 2 types of ammo have a minimum range of 120m (not the 180 that PGI has given them), while the 3rd type of ammo has no minimum range but a range of 270m

They can't ammo switch, thus the hybrid. I do think they'd be fine with damage reduction for 120m, thanks to the one-size-fits-all ammo type.

ATMs are also supposed to be Streak-style weapons, so if the weapon fires (which requires a lock), all the missiles hit. Being the way they are, they cannot be fired indirectly (which is why LRMs will continue to have a place in the Clan arsenal)

PGI has really dropped the ball on this one, because this seems more of a regression than an advancement.

Categorically incorrect. ATMs in TT roll on the normal cluster hits table, but have a built-in Artemis system (+2 bonus on the roll). iATM (the second generation version) has a true Streak guidance system and indirect fire capacity besides.

ATMs suffer most from the same problem most missiles do after any real distance- insufficient velocity to actually reach a target at range, where an ATM will basically be a luck shot after about 500-600m of travel, basically half of it's range. As long as they're as slow as LRMs, they'll be as clumsy a ranged weapon as LRMs- and they fire in an arc they really shouldn't to begin with, being a direct fire missile.

#12 Snowbluff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:59 AM

They're garbage.

Trying to maneuver to get in a good bracket is a chore, even in a medium.

AMS wreck them.

Not many Omnis can carry them well due to fixed slots.

The Spread is terrible (on the 12s at least).

Running them on a Pahket I get much more mileage and more kills with the SRM4s I brought as back up.

Edited by Snowbluff, 01 July 2017 - 11:01 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users