Clan Targeting Computer Bug?

11 replies to this topic

#1 Antares102

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 12:35 PM

... does no longer provide range bonus to energy weapons.
Is this a bug? In most cases the was the primary reason why I equiped it.
If this bonus is gone I see no reason to use it.

Edited by Antares102, 01 July 2017 - 12:52 PM.

#2 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 12:36 PM

Not a bug, actual change. TBQH, I think it should have stayed on the Clan targeting computer.

#3 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 01 July 2017 - 12:38 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 01 July 2017 - 12:36 PM, said:

Not a bug, actual change. TBQH, I think it should have stayed on the Clan targeting computer.

The Equipment.XML file in the PTS data says that Clan and IS TC's are supposed to be boosting the range on all laser types.

For example:
<Module id="9013" name="TargetingComputerMkI" CType="CTargetingComputerStats" faction="Clan">
	<Loc nameTag="@TargetingComputerMkI" shortNameTag="@ui_TargetingComputerMkI" descTag="@TargetingComputerMkI_desc" iconTag="StoreIcons\TargetingComputerMkI.png" />
	<ModuleStats slots="1" tons="1.0" health="5" amountAllowed="1" />
	<TargetingComputerStats moduleDestroyedHudWarning="eHUD_TARGETING_COMPUTER_DESTROYED">
	  <WeaponStatsFilter tag="BeamWeapons" compatibleWeapons="SmallLaser,MediumLaser,LargeLaser,ClanERMicroLaser,ERSmallLaser,ClanERSmallLaser,ERMediumLaser,ClanERMediumLaser,ERLargeLaser,ClanERLargeLaser,ClanMicroPulseLaser,SmallPulseLaser,ClanSmallPulseLaser,MediumPulseLaser,ClanMediumPulseLaser,LargePulseLaser,ClanLargePulseLaser,ClanHeavySmallLaser,ClanHeavyMediumLaser,ClanHeavyLargeLaser">
		<WeaponStats operation="+" critChanceIncrease="0.0114,0.0064,0.0014" />
		<WeaponStats operation="*" longRange="1.04" maxRange="1.04" />
	  </WeaponStatsFilter>
	  <WeaponStatsFilter tag="ProjectileWeapons" compatibleWeapons="AutoCannon2,ClanAutoCannon2,AutoCannon5,ClanAutoCannon5,AutoCannon10,ClanAutoCannon10,AutoCannon20,ClanAutoCannon20,GaussRifle,ClanGaussRifle,LightGaussRifle,HeavyGaussRifle,UltraAutoCannon2,ClanUltraAutoCannon2,UltraAutoCannon5,ClanUltraAutoCannon5,UltraAutoCannon10,ClanUltraAutoCannon10,UltraAutoCannon20,ClanUltraAutoCannon20,PPC,ERPPC,ClanERPPC,LightPPC,HeavyPPC,SnubNosePPC">
		<WeaponStats operation="*" speed="1.05" />
	  </WeaponStatsFilter>
	</TargetingComputerStats>
	<Audio OnDestroyedDialogue="BB_Targeting_Computer_Destroyed" />
  </Module>

And the IS version with inexplicably inferior stats:
<Module id="9023" name="ISTargetingComputerMkI" CType="CTargetingComputerStats" faction="InnerSphere">
    <Loc nameTag="@ISTargetingComputerMkI" shortNameTag="@ui_ISTargetingComputerMkI" descTag="@ISTargetingComputerMkI_desc" iconTag="StoreIcons\ISTargetingComputerMkI.png" />
    <ModuleStats slots="1" tons="1.0" health="7.5" amountAllowed="1" />
    <TargetingComputerStats moduleDestroyedHudWarning="eHUD_TARGETING_COMPUTER_DESTROYED">
	  <WeaponStatsFilter tag="BeamWeapons" compatibleWeapons="SmallLaser,MediumLaser,LargeLaser,ClanERMicroLaser,ERSmallLaser,ClanERSmallLaser,ERMediumLaser,ClanERMediumLaser,ERLargeLaser,ClanERLargeLaser,ClanMicroPulseLaser,SmallPulseLaser,ClanSmallPulseLaser,MediumPulseLaser,ClanMediumPulseLaser,LargePulseLaser,ClanLargePulseLaser,ClanHeavySmallLaser,ClanHeavyMediumLaser,ClanHeavyLargeLaser">
	    <WeaponStats operation="+" critChanceIncrease="0.0057,0.0032,0.0007" />
	    <WeaponStats operation="*" longRange="1.035" maxRange="1.035" />
	  </WeaponStatsFilter>
	  <WeaponStatsFilter tag="ProjectileWeapons" compatibleWeapons="AutoCannon2,ClanAutoCannon2,AutoCannon5,ClanAutoCannon5,AutoCannon10,ClanAutoCannon10,AutoCannon20,ClanAutoCannon20,GaussRifle,ClanGaussRifle,LightGaussRifle,HeavyGaussRifle,UltraAutoCannon2,ClanUltraAutoCannon2,UltraAutoCannon5,ClanUltraAutoCannon5,UltraAutoCannon10,ClanUltraAutoCannon10,UltraAutoCannon20,ClanUltraAutoCannon20,PPC,ERPPC,ClanERPPC,LightPPC,HeavyPPC,SnubNosePPC">
	    <WeaponStats operation="*" speed="1.025" />
	  </WeaponStatsFilter>
  </Module>

Edited by FupDup, 01 July 2017 - 12:39 PM.

#4 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 01 July 2017 - 12:39 PM

If you don't like the clan computer you much really hate the IS computer :P

#5 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 12:43 PM

View PostFupDup, on 01 July 2017 - 12:38 PM, said:

The Equipment.XML file in the PTS data says that Clan and IS TC's are supposed to be boosting the range on all laser types.

For example:
<Module id="9013" name="TargetingComputerMkI" CType="CTargetingComputerStats" faction="Clan">
	<Loc nameTag="@TargetingComputerMkI" shortNameTag="@ui_TargetingComputerMkI" descTag="@TargetingComputerMkI_desc" iconTag="StoreIcons\TargetingComputerMkI.png" />
	<ModuleStats slots="1" tons="1.0" health="5" amountAllowed="1" />
		<WeaponStats operation="*" longRange="1.04" maxRange="1.04" />
	  </WeaponStatsFilter>
		<WeaponStats operation="*" speed="1.05" />
	  </WeaponStatsFilter>
  </Module>

And the IS version with inexplicably inferior stats:
<Module id="9023" name="ISTargetingComputerMkI" CType="CTargetingComputerStats" faction="InnerSphere">
	<Loc nameTag="@ISTargetingComputerMkI" shortNameTag="@ui_ISTargetingComputerMkI" descTag="@ISTargetingComputerMkI_desc" iconTag="StoreIcons\ISTargetingComputerMkI.png" />
	<ModuleStats slots="1" tons="1.0" health="7.5" amountAllowed="1" />
		<WeaponStats operation="*" longRange="1.035" maxRange="1.035" />
	  </WeaponStatsFilter>
		<WeaponStats operation="*" speed="1.025" />
	  </WeaponStatsFilter>
  </Module>

Intradesting.

Well, IMHO I actually think the IS TC should not be boosting laser range, the reason being that the Clans have less than 2x laser range and they can sacrifice some of those copious heatsinks to get that little bit back if they want to run just as heat-inefficient for the damage as their Sphere counterparts.

#6 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 12:45 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 01 July 2017 - 12:43 PM, said:

Intradesting.

Well, IMHO I actually think the IS TC should not be boosting laser range, the reason being that the Clans have less than 2x laser range and they can sacrifice some of those copious heatsinks to get that little bit back if they want to run just as heat-inefficient for the damage as their Sphere counterparts.

The IS version gives weaker values in all areas, though, so it needs something in its favor...maybe beam duration?

If anything that would make more sense than range because the point of the TC was to make your shots more accurate/precise, which isn't impacted by buffing range (buffing stuff like velocity on the other hand does represent that).

Edited by FupDup, 01 July 2017 - 12:46 PM.

#7 Cy Mitchell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 12:46 PM

Both IS and Clan TC do not enhance beam range. This was brought up when Chris was answering questions on NGNG.tv and he said that was intentional. I have removed the TCs from my laser builds because first crit percentages were reduced and now there is no additional beam range. They are still good for ballistics/ppcs but beyond that the only significant boost is targeting time which a laser build can do without. An extra heatsink provides me better benefits.

#8 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 12:47 PM

View PostRampage, on 01 July 2017 - 12:46 PM, said:

Both IS and Clan TC do not enhance beam range. This was brought up when Chris was answering questions on NGNG.tv and he said that was intentional. I have removed the TCs from my laser builds because first crit percentages were reduced and now there is no additional beam range. They are still good for ballistics/ppcs but beyond that the only significant boost is targeting time which a laser build can do without. An extra heatsink provides me better benefits.

I wonder how they made it not boost laser range while the laser range stat is still listed in the XML files. :\

#9 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 12:47 PM

View PostFupDup, on 01 July 2017 - 12:45 PM, said:

The IS version gives weaker values in all areas, though, so it needs something in its favor...maybe beam duration?

If anything that would make more sense than range because the point of the TC was to make your shots more accurate/precise, which isn't impacted by buffing range (buffing stuff like velocity on the other hand does represent that).

It would make sense, but IMHO beam duration is too powerful to play with like that. The skill tree is enough.

Greater velocity for ballistics and PPCs would actually be my preference.

#10 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 12:51 PM

View PostFupDup, on 01 July 2017 - 12:47 PM, said:

I wonder how they made it not boost laser range while the laser range stat is still listed in the XML files. :\

Maybe it is not supposed to be there. I just took them off. I did not try looking at the range before and after to see if they make a difference. I will do that now.

Edit: without TC range on HLL 499m. With TC1 range on HLL 499m. Even though the beam effect is still in the code description, it must not be turned on.

Edited by Rampage, 01 July 2017 - 12:57 PM.

#11 Blackhound

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 130 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 11:40 PM

View PostFupDup, on 01 July 2017 - 12:47 PM, said:

They have changed file reliance before, so while you still may see info located in some file available to players, the actual calls come from somewhere else obscured from our sight. Actuator hitpoints are an example.

#12 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 08:36 AM

Chris was on the NGNG.tv stream last night and answering a few questions while he was dropping in PTS games. I got the chance to ask him about the laser beam range being taken out of TCs. He said that he had not known it was missing until it was pointed out to him by players. He does not know whether it was a design decision or an oversight but he would ask and try to get an answer.

I take it that he does not design equipment or weapon attributes but is responsible for "dialing them in" from a performance and balance standpoint. He may also have input into their function and act as a conduit to provide feedback to the designers who create them. I expect we will get some information about the TCs soon and maybe even a fix if the change in question here was unintentional.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users