#21 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:22 PM

View Postmycroft000, on 01 July 2017 - 10:10 PM, said:

I've run several matches in my NVA-S with 12 ERmicros and 4HMGs, I do not know what anyone is complaining about with the HMGs, they are FANTASTIC.

Im not sure 4hmg are really worth taking. At the very least if they are its really at the bottom.

What about , PNT-10P RVN-4X FS9-H ASN-26 CDA-3M. All of these can only run 2
Russ kind of sold me these as a weapon for mech that didn't have 6 tons to use an ac2.

I kind of wish they would even double or even quadruple the weight
increase the dmg
Use normal mg range(or more if 4x weight).
Maybe low range but a long fall off like the heavy gauss.
lower the crits
Give them heat.
Cap them around 3-5 with heat.

Maybe fire them in bursts to keep the dps down but the damage up.

I want a weapon a lighter mech with 2-4 hardpoints could use as a primary weapon.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 01 July 2017 - 10:39 PM.

#22 Brain Cancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:50 PM

I'm in the "restore the original damage but reduce the crit damage" club here. Lights have higher critmongering than standard, heavy MG's have higher damage than standard but lower crit bonuses.

Problem solved, even if I want to see retrotech like rifles and small ballistics like the AP Gauss and Magshot sooner or later.

#23 Aggravated Assault Mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 825 posts
  • Locationlocation location

Posted 01 July 2017 - 11:43 PM

View PostSOL Ranger, on 01 July 2017 - 08:39 PM, said:

Get some perspective and stop claiming I want anything but what I have written in this thread, if you want to know what I want MG's to be try reading my posts I wrote in this thread and you will know.

I have no more time for you nor your continually made up hyperbolic taken out of context non issues.

Wanting a 1t, essentially heat-free weapon to hit out to 960m is basically delusional. Like you clearly don't understand that MGs have a pretty well-defined role in the game, and part of that design includes being short range, to balance them vs. SL/SPL (and now micro), SRM2s etc. which have their own penalties in terms of heat, velocity and spread etc. That's not hyperbolic in any sense.

"Perspective" would be that MGs aren't supposed to just get slotted into every excess ballistic slot. "Perspective" would also be that the HMG has to be balanced against the MG and LMG. Are you going to increase range for those too?

#24 Vlad Striker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 02 July 2017 - 04:07 AM

Nova with 12 micro lasers and 4 hmg doing approx. 20dps at range 80m. Can Nova survive at 80 m - another problem.

Edited by Vlad Striker, 02 July 2017 - 04:07 AM.

#25 Guile Votoms

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunsho-ni
  • Gunsho-ni
  • 239 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 05:42 AM

Some of these comments. Jesus.
HMGs are pretty good but not overpowered, except MAYBE on two mechs.

I can solo fresh assault mechs in my Locust 1V with 4 heavy machine guns now.
Not really an issue since you can also do that with 6 small pulse on the 1E.

I wouldn't even see a problem with the Piranha, once we get it, which can carry 12.
The main limiting factor is that they weigh a ton each and you'll run out of ammo quick.

On heavies and assaults they also seem fine as you need to sacrifice valuable ballistic slots.

It could become a problem on medium omnimechs which would get a big but relatively lightweight attack boost when they don't really need it.

The Nova is already a really good mech, but now with heavy machine guns on top ...
The Shadowcat can carry 7 HMGs and a large energy or missile weapon which is also pretty worrying.

I feel like this should be addressed by balancing the omnimech system though and not HMGs.

#26 SOL Ranger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 232 posts
  • LocationEndor, exterminating little evil bear people for the Empire.

Posted 02 July 2017 - 06:27 AM

View PostAggravated Assault Mech, on 01 July 2017 - 11:43 PM, said:

Wanting a 1t, essentially heat-free weapon to hit out to 960m is basically delusional. Like you clearly don't understand that MGs have a pretty well-defined role in the game, and part of that design includes being short range, to balance them vs. SL/SPL (and now micro), SRM2s etc. which have their own penalties in terms of heat, velocity and spread etc. That's not hyperbolic in any sense.

"Perspective" would be that MGs aren't supposed to just get slotted into every excess ballistic slot. "Perspective" would also be that the HMG has to be balanced against the MG and LMG. Are you going to increase range for those too?

This has already been answered if you actually read the posts I made to the other angry guy, what is it with you guys cherry picking values and details ignoring context and weapon properties as a whole just to drive your narrative. You're using exactly the same style of irrational debating as Ruor did, believing excluding all the facts surrounding the highlighted part you hastily react to gives any validity to your statements and also thinking insults will further your cause. Neither is rational and I would urge you to stop and think instead.

This needs to be said because frankly I'm tired of these angry hastily emotionally written posts that keep coming. If you don't like the suggestion then that is fine and express that but don't make up silly insulting posts because you're angry and instead argue the points you dislike factually. "I like the traditional role for the weapon more and we shouldn't change things so much as you suggest" would suffice as a valid opinion and comment.

However beginning to tell me how delusional I am for disagreeing with your desires, for suggesting a mechanic and property you clearly do not understand nor want to understand really doesn't make a good case for your argument, it simply shows you have no valid argument.

Facts:
  • We do not need three near identical and dysfunctional crit seeking short range ballistic weapons that most of will end up highly underused/unused.
  • The old manuscripts are dysfunctional for a game like MWO and could well do with some practical alterations to create more fun gameplay options.
  • Critical seeking HMG's cannot be balanced properly without neutering the weapon into something else entirely already.
  • 80m HMG's will only be applicable on the very few fastest, ballistics hardpoint inflated mechs in the game.
  • We need something practical in the short/medium ranges for ballistics as there is a gaping hole there.
  • There is no moderate to longer range suppressive fire weapon to be found.
  • There is no short/moderate range general purpose ballistics weapon on the low end.
That is why I am suggesting a role and use case change.

I want the weapon to actually serve some meaningful role oriented purpose beyond existing in the weapons list on live later with the rigidly TT appropriate properties nobody but maybe ACH/MLX/Piranha and SHC pilots want to ever use.

Can we have a proper conversation now?

#27 Ruar

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 07:13 AM

View PostSOL Ranger, on 02 July 2017 - 06:27 AM, said:

This has already been answered if you actually read the posts I made to the other angry guy, what is it with you guys cherry picking values and details ignoring context and weapon properties as a whole just to drive your narrative. You're using exactly the same style of irrational debating as Ruor did, believing excluding all the facts surrounding the highlighted part you hastily react to gives any validity to your statements and also thinking insults will further your cause. Neither is rational and I would urge you to stop and think instead.

This needs to be said because frankly I'm tired of these angry hastily emotionally written posts that keep coming. If you don't like the suggestion then that is fine and express that but don't make up silly insulting posts because you're angry and instead argue the points you dislike factually. "I like the traditional role for the weapon more and we shouldn't change things so much as you suggest" would suffice as a valid opinion and comment.

However beginning to tell me how delusional I am for disagreeing with your desires, for suggesting a mechanic and property you clearly do not understand nor want to understand really doesn't make a good case for your argument, it simply shows you have no valid argument.

Facts:
  • We do not need three near identical and dysfunctional crit seeking short range ballistic weapons that most of will end up highly underused/unused.
  • The old manuscripts are dysfunctional for a game like MWO and could well do with some practical alterations to create more fun gameplay options.
  • Critical seeking HMG's cannot be balanced properly without neutering the weapon into something else entirely already.
  • 80m HMG's will only be applicable on the very few fastest, ballistics hardpoint inflated mechs in the game.
  • We need something practical in the short/medium ranges for ballistics as there is a gaping hole there.
  • There is no moderate to longer range suppressive fire weapon to be found.
  • There is no short/moderate range general purpose ballistics weapon on the low end.
That is why I am suggesting a role and use case change.

I want the weapon to actually serve some meaningful role oriented purpose beyond existing in the weapons list on live later with the rigidly TT appropriate properties nobody but maybe ACH/MLX/Piranha and SHC pilots want to ever use.

Can we have a proper conversation now?

Your actually the one who got emotional, I just got sarcastic since you seem to want MGs to be the best ballistic weapons in the game with some sensational stats.

As for your facts...

Your first one is an opinion.

Your second is an opinion.

Your third is an opinion.

Your fourth is an opinion and already proven wrong on test.

Your fifth is an opinion and proven wrong with weapons like AC20, AC10, UAC20, UAC10, and Heavy Gauss. If you had said for light mechs then the answer is HMG, MG, Light Gauss, AC5.

Your sixth is opinion and moot because there is no such thing as suppression fire in MWO.

Your seventh is the same as your fifth, see above for answer.

Basically you have an unsupported opinion and you are passing it off as if it's concrete facts when it isn't. It's just your opinion. Then you get upset when I've been picking your opinion apart. I don't need to go through each line when you open with things like let a heat free, 1.4 dps weapon that can be stacked to be better tonnage and slots than an AC5 have similar range with the only significant difference being a CoF which you think would balance because it provides suppression fire.

I then pointed out the CoF would get changed to make the weapon effective, again because no such ting as suppression fire in MWO, because people want their weapons to actually do damage.

Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I'm angry. I'm not. Your suggestions will gain no traction and won't happen. Just because you have reasons for you changes doesn't make them reasonable, logical, or fit in the game. You want to turn a very nasty short range weapon into the single best weapon in the game and then say the only balance needed is CoF bloom because people are afraid of tracers coming at them which will suppress them.

MGs are short range ballistic weapons. They are niche. In that niche right now the HMG is performing above standard because of it's higher damage and boosted critical damage. Having both high damage and crit boost is too much because the 80m range limitation isn't a useful balancing tool. The mechs boating HMGs are able to get into optimum range easily enough. Which means something else has to be used to balance. Since we don't really need three MGs doing the same thing it only makes sense to differentiate between them. The LMG with low damage, best range, and also does the best with criticals. The regular MG has a bit less range, a little more damage, and a little less critical than the LMG. The HMG does the most damage, has the shortest range, and does the least critical damage.

This gives three distinct options for what you want to do, provides some different range considerations for how you prefer to play, and helps keep some balance so MGs don't become the ruler of all short range encounters.

#28 Mycroft000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 511 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 02 July 2017 - 07:37 AM

Running 3v3 and 4v4 in the private lobby with my 12 ER Micro and 4HMG I've been consistently getting well over 400 damage and(at least in my group) most of the kills. Admittedly if I can't get close, I'm useless, but if I do get inside of 150 meters, then I'm very effective.

#29 Mycroft000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 511 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 02 July 2017 - 07:44 AM

View PostRuar, on 02 July 2017 - 07:13 AM, said:

Your sixth is opinion and moot because there is no such thing as suppression fire in MWO.

I disagree with this, but it is only in very limited circumstances. I would consider some use of LRMS to be suppression fire, as well as Dire Wolf or King Crab with 6x AC2, UAC2 or LB2. Those can be quite effective at keeping an enemy from poking since they can put out a constant stream of AC rounds at very long range and do so for quite a long time.

#30 Ruar

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 07:52 AM

View Postmycroft000, on 02 July 2017 - 07:44 AM, said:

I disagree with this, but it is only in very limited circumstances. I would consider some use of LRMS to be suppression fire, as well as Dire Wolf or King Crab with 6x AC2, UAC2 or LB2. Those can be quite effective at keeping an enemy from poking since they can put out a constant stream of AC rounds at very long range and do so for quite a long time.

But the reason people aren't peaking is because they take actual damage, not because of visual effects from a weapon that does almost no effective damage.

I've tried to use LRMs in a suppression role, but it doesn't really work. Your point about the AC2s is valid but you are also correct it's in very limited situations.

#31 SOL Ranger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 232 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 08:46 AM

View PostRuar, on 02 July 2017 - 07:52 AM, said:

But the reason people aren't peaking is because they take actual damage, not because of visual effects from a weapon that does almost no effective damage.

I've tried to use LRMs in a suppression role, but it doesn't really work. Your point about the AC2s is valid but you are also correct it's in very limited situations.

Some people are hardened, some people are skittish, applying damage of any kind to some people will make them hesitate, get confused and turn back or do other irrational things. Taking damage from multiple directions regardless of much of it being trickle damage will confuse almost anyone.

An HMG that can instantly apply such pressure over medium/long ranges, psychological pressure most of all will most certainly scare/confuse and make players make decisions they will regret, if that is to run away, slow down, unnecessarily torso twist and give you seconds of safety or just stay blatantly in the open taking actually serious damage while masked as minor trickles at first obfuscating real damage.

LRM streaming is most certainly an effective suppressive factor and creates a hell of a lot of confusion, fear and loss of tactical control.

You'll claim anything just to fit your narrative for the moment.

#32 Ruar

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 08:51 AM

View PostSOL Ranger, on 02 July 2017 - 08:46 AM, said:

Some people are hardened, some people are skittish, applying damage of any kind to some people will make them hesitate, get confused and turn back or do other irrational things. Taking damage from multiple directions regardless of much of it being trickle damage will confuse almost anyone.

An HMG that can instantly apply such pressure over medium/long ranges, psychological pressure most of all will most certainly scare/confuse and make players make decisions they will regret, if that is to run away, slow down, unnecessarily torso twist and give you seconds of safety or just stay blatantly in the open taking actually serious damage while masked as minor trickles at first obfuscating real damage.

LRM streaming is most certainly an effective suppressive factor and creates a hell of a lot of confusion, fear and loss of tactical control.

You'll claim anything just to fit your narrative for the moment.

I state what I see. Feel free to disagree. Lrms do damage and I don't consider that suppression as it is an actual attack. The same way having globs of PPCS flung my way is an actual attack. Sure, some new players might panic at MG tracers for a few matches and then the gimmick is over. In the meantime you would turn HMGS into the best weapon at 350m and under because you want to scare some newbs with tracers.

I'd much rather have a serious discussion about changes that make sense.

#33 SOL Ranger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 232 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 09:40 AM

View PostRuar, on 02 July 2017 - 08:51 AM, said:

I state what I see. Feel free to disagree. Lrms do damage and I don't consider that suppression as it is an actual attack. The same way having globs of PPCS flung my way is an actual attack. Sure, some new players might panic at MG tracers for a few matches and then the gimmick is over. In the meantime you would turn HMGS into the best weapon at 350m and under because you want to scare some newbs with tracers.

I'd much rather have a serious discussion about changes that make sense.

It is not the best weapon in the game nor within 350m, it is a perfectly viable short to mid range supplementary ballistic but also has a suppressive quality as a viable secondary role option which you can ignore or use as you see fit. You still keep taking single details out of context and claiming wild conclusions, mind stopping?

If you honestly think a streamed damage 1.8dps weapon without any extra critical properties that has a CoF that covers a whole atlas and more at 320m, that splits damage on a still target over 3+ components at 150m, is the best weapon in the game like you claimed is my goal previously then I guess you are free to believe that but you're just making things up to fit a narrative. It's like you don't even consider any other factors when you think you found something to contest.

You've already made clear what you think makes sense, removing the weapon outright or making it effectively DOA, niche and unused with two other identical copies with it, you'll have to excuse me but that none of that is something I would like to see.

I guess I disagree with you on pretty much everything and then some, thanks.

#34 Aggravated Assault Mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 825 posts
  • Locationlocation location

Posted 02 July 2017 - 09:40 AM

View PostSOL Ranger, on 02 July 2017 - 06:27 AM, said:

This has already been answered if you actually read the posts

I read the posts. Your notion that HMGs should be able to hit out to long range really is just delusional. It doesn't harmonize with the overall balance of the game in terms of tonnage:effect, and trying to redesign HMGs as suppressive weapons makes no sense from a game design or lore perspective. I'm not going to be "suppressed", I'm just going to shoot them for about 10x more damage than they're doing to me. Furthermore, MGs aren't really supposed to be useful- they are anti-infantry weapons.

Maybe you're not getting the feedback you seek because your proposal is just deeply flawed, and nobody really wants to slog it out with a person clearly convinced of their own genius about why 1t hitscan weapons shouldn't be able to shoot 900m away for no heat.

"Dreams are free" man.

#35 Mycroft000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 511 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 02 July 2017 - 10:04 AM

View PostRuar, on 02 July 2017 - 07:52 AM, said:

The reason LRMS work in suppression is because they cause people to look for cover, as soon as they change their focus from the enemy to the nearby terrain/cover, you've done some level of suppression. The more you can divide the enemy's attention, the more effective LRMS become in a suppressive role.

And the multiple AC2s with or without a macro are effective both as suppression and as a damage dealing set of weapons.

#36 phoboskomboa

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 10:56 AM

You don't need to give them insane range or damage to make them good. Just give them the stats they had in the original PTS, and give them some sort of number cap. Ghost heat makes no sense for them, but ghost jamming would be fine. ie, if you fire more than 3 or 4 (where ever the cap feels balanced) they jam.

This allows mechs with fewer ballistic hardpoints to take advantage of comparable builds to the 6 mg ones that are currently only possible on a few mechs.

#37 SOL Ranger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 232 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 11:56 AM

View PostAggravated Assault Mech, on 02 July 2017 - 09:40 AM, said:

I read the posts. Your notion that HMGs should be able to hit out to long range really is just delusional. It doesn't harmonize with the overall balance of the game in terms of tonnage:effect, and trying to redesign HMGs as suppressive weapons makes no sense from a game design or lore perspective. I'm not going to be "suppressed", I'm just going to shoot them for about 10x more damage than they're doing to me. Furthermore, MGs aren't really supposed to be useful- they are anti-infantry weapons.

Maybe you're not getting the feedback you seek because your proposal is just deeply flawed, and nobody really wants to slog it out with a person clearly convinced of their own genius about why 1t hitscan weapons shouldn't be able to shoot 900m away for no heat.

"Dreams are free" man.

Disagreeing with suggestions and explaining why is worthwhile discussion, even honestly simply based on a lore or gut feeling because personal taste is also a big deal is fine, however making up wild out of context exaggerations and anecdotally unsubstantiated opinionated excuses to falsely dismiss things out of hand because you want none of it is not fine for a reasonable discussion, nor is delving into personal attacks.

I have no time nor desire to reply to this kind of passive aggressive anger posts, if you don't like my suggestion just say so honestly instead of making up convoluted out of context excuses that I can easily disprove. Hint: I cannot disprove subjective views, only objective claims.

#38 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 July 2017 - 12:54 PM

I almost feel like IS HMG should deal more damage than cHMG.

- IS weighs twice as much, it's harder to mount them.
- Clans have up to double the hardpoints to mount their half-weight versions.

... but I could say the same for all MGs.

Edited by Tarogato, 02 July 2017 - 12:55 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users