10 replies to this topic

#1 AnswerIsOne

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 27 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 July 2017 - 02:40 PM

The heat values on the IS PPCs are not working in the testing grounds (crimson straight) as they should per their mechlab stats.
one Heavy PPC should produce 14.5 heat but it's currently producing 25
one light PPC should produce 5 heat but im getting 7-10
one snub nose PPC should Produce 10 but its currently producing 15

Are these going to be corrected soon?
We cannot properly test the viability of using these weapons in builds until the values associated with the weapon is correctly implemented.

#2 AnswerIsOne

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 27 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 July 2017 - 02:48 PM

Clan heavy large laser is producing 27 heat! WTF? the weapon stat says 17 heat

#3 Midnight Camel

• PipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 02:52 PM

How can you tell how much heat a weapon is producing?

#4 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 01 July 2017 - 02:56 PM

View PostMidnight Camel, on 01 July 2017 - 02:52 PM, said:

How can you tell how much heat a weapon is producing?

I think he might have been confusing the heat threshold percentage as a literal heat value.

#5 AnswerIsOne

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 27 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 July 2017 - 03:04 PM

View PostFupDup, on 01 July 2017 - 02:56 PM, said:

I think he might have been confusing the heat threshold percentage as a literal heat value.

that may be it, I thought they were one in the same.
Why whould the Heat Threshold BAR in th UI have different values than the heat generation listed in the weapon description, did someone who designed the UI **** the bed?

Edited by Answer74, 01 July 2017 - 03:05 PM.

#6 AnswerIsOne

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 27 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 July 2017 - 03:34 PM

Well looking at a weapon I understand...medium lasers
My medium lasers produce 3.4 heat (skilled)
firing 3 of them gives me a heat scale of 0.18 they have a 1times multiplier (making it easier)
so 3 medium lasers produce 10.2 x 1.18 heat ( 12.036 ) looking at my UI heat threshold the bar fills to nearly 13%
that is why I assumed the Bar was an equal correlation to the Heat Values each weapon has in its description.

@FupDup
How then do we calculate the heat generated in relation to the heat threshold indicator in the UI?

Edited by Answer74, 01 July 2017 - 03:35 PM.

#7 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 03:38 PM

View PostAnswer74, on 01 July 2017 - 03:34 PM, said:

Well looking at a weapon I understand...medium lasers
My medium lasers produce 3.4 heat (skilled)
firing 3 of them gives me a heat scale of 0.18 they have a 1times multiplier (making it easier)
so 3 medium lasers produce 10.2 x 1.18 heat ( 12.036 ) looking at my UI heat threshold the bar fills to nearly 13%
that is why I assumed the Bar was an equal correlation to the Heat Values each weapon has in its description.

@FupDup
How then do we calculate the heat generated in relation to the heat threshold indicator in the UI?

You need to know what your mech's specific max heat threshold is, based on the number of heatsinks you have, type of heatsinks, and possibly heat containment skills if you have those unlocked.

After that it's just a matter of weapon heat divided by heat threshold equals percentage of heat generated. Also note that the map you're on will have an impact.

The base heat threshold is 50 I'm pretty sure, every DHS added on top of that gives +1.5 and every SHS gives +1.2. The heat containment buff on top of that is easy to figure out with simple multiplying.

Edited by FupDup, 01 July 2017 - 03:45 PM.

#8 AnswerIsOne

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 27 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 July 2017 - 03:46 PM

View PostFupDup, on 01 July 2017 - 03:38 PM, said:

You need to know what your mech's specific max heat threshold is, based on the number of heatsinks you have, type of heatsinks, and possibly heat containment skills if you have those unlocked.

After that it's just a matter of weapon heat divided by heat threshold equals percentage of heat generated. Also note that the map you're on will have an impact.

so the number of heatsinks is relevant to the heat generation?, I thought heat generation was purely a weapon (and map) stat.
and that Heatsinks only purpose was to shed the heat after it has been generated. I understand how heat threshold is adjusted by the heat containment skill, and I understand the skills affect on heat generation.
What I don't understand is how to figure seatsinks into the calculation.

Edited by Answer74, 01 July 2017 - 03:46 PM.

#9 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 03:50 PM

View PostAnswer74, on 01 July 2017 - 03:46 PM, said:

so the number of heatsinks is relevant to the heat generation?, I thought heat generation was purely a weapon (and map) stat.
and that Heatsinks only purpose was to shed the heat after it has been generated. I understand how heat threshold is adjusted by the heat containment skill, and I understand the skills affect on heat generation.
What I don't understand is how to figure seatsinks into the calculation.

The heatsinks don't affect the actual weapon heat buildup. What they do affect is how much heat you can dissipate and how much heat you can handle before shutdown.

The heat bar on the UI is based on a percentage of your threshold rather than a specific number, so a mech that generates 25 heat with a 50 threshold will be displayed at 50% heat, while a mech with a 100 cap generating 50 heat will also be displayed at 50%.

Your heat capacity calculation is (50 + (DHS * 1.5)) * (Heat Containment amount)
Your heat capacity calculation is (50 * Heat Containment amount) + (DHS Count * 1.5)

EDIT: Actually, I remember hearing that Heat Containment only affects the base engine sinks rather than external ones. Let me test this one a bit and report back.

EDIT2: Seems to be confirmed as not affecting external sinks. I tried a complete overkill build with 2 Clan ERPPCs and a whopping 26 DHS and full Heat Contain (15%) to make the effect as apparent as possible. However, even then it's only like a 2% difference on the UI scale (and a heat capacity difference of 3.6).

Edited by FupDup, 01 July 2017 - 04:08 PM.

#10 AnswerIsOne

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 27 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 July 2017 - 04:09 PM

I did a similar test with a banshee and 24 standard (not double) heatsinks in addition to the ten internal ones Engine mounted
I have figured that once you put in more than 14 the standard heatsinks are better than the double ones

The heavy PPC produces 19 % heat at the above example.

#11 AnswerIsOne

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 27 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 July 2017 - 04:27 PM

I'm missing something, if the engine (10 sinks) dissipates .1 or .2 heat per second (single or double) then some of the heat generated would be dissipated the moment it is generated other factors are if the Mech uses additional standard heatsinks or double heatsinks 1.0 or 1.4 dissipation , other factors such as map modifiers to heat and whether you are moving or jumping also affect the heat generation/second.
nope I'm lost, I need a dev to layout the math for me. Any Developer available to explain the values?
I can do the math but I'm missing some values somewhere.
So my question is how is the heat generation value listed under the weapon description translate to the heat threshold in the UI
please also note I am OK with long mathematical solutions, as long as all the variables are detailed.

Edited by Answer74, 01 July 2017 - 04:27 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users