Splat-King Crab?

12 replies to this topic

#1 Xoco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 281 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 05:37 AM

Firstly, I know I'm creating an awful lot of threads, so sorry in advance for spamming the forums. But I haven't seen an odd-duck build like this discussed, so here goes.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9f9b38d6436e61c

The idea is 4xAC2s, and multiple SRMs for close range effectiveness.

I've been doing dual-AC20 for most of my 1 week long career as an Assault. And I noticed that the lack of range is often my undoing (especially in PUG where I'm usually pelted to bits while I'm approaching the enemies). For a while I pulled a Sword and Board Crab (1xAC20, 3xSRM6), and just sacrifice one side on approach. The 3xSRM6, while does not focus the damage very well, does do an incredible amount of damage (to the chagrin of--often friendly--Lights who love to cut in front of me). And frankly at that range, it still hits a fairly compressed area (I'd love to try this build without Artemis, but I don't see the point in modifying my mech just yet). So I think I got the brawling side covered.

What I'm looking for is survivability. But I'm finding on my slow Centurion that the best defense might be a good offense. Mine carries multiple SRMs/Streaks and dual-AC2. I use SRMs for brawling, and I can spam AC2s everywhere while I'm doing the disco twist (sorry to the friendlies I hit--my bad). And when I'm moving from cover to cover, the rapid-fire, screen-shaker seems to really throw off C-ERL and PPCs. I don't even know if they still do any damage at that distance, but they certainly seem to slow down the pace at which I'm getting sniped.

Do you think this kind of build would be viable on a King Crab? Spamming AC2s for CC while at range, and switching to SRMs when I get close. Thanks in advance for advices:D

#2 ShooterMcGavin80

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 146 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 08:03 AM

Combining AC2's with SRM's isn't bad but it isn't pure 'splat'. SRM's are a short range fire and twist weapon. AC2's are a steady mid to long range DPS weapon. In a close in brawl in order to improve your survivability you should be twisting, but that will take your AC2's off target.

Something more like this is more brawly splat-like:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...91c0dbc45dda188

A bit short on ammunition and a little hot but with a close range shoot and twist alpha strike that will kill most things quite quickly. Having an AC20 and 2 ML gives you a little ability to pinpoint a damaged component. Fire, twist, wait for your AC20/SRM6's to cycle back up, then twist and fire again. It might be worth it to ditch the medium lasers for more ammo.

If AC2's are your thing, a full dakka crab where you just keep the crosshairs on target and keep shooting can work:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5b83098b5730539

Check out the metamechs build database for King Crabs to get ideas:

http://metamechs.com/build-database/

and the metamechs king crab guide page:
http://metamechs.com...ides/king-crab/

(not updated yet for the new skill tree stuff, but still might get your brain thinking)

Edited by ShooterMcGavin80, 02 July 2017 - 08:03 AM.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 08:16 AM

AC/2s (a long range DPS weapon that is woefully underpowered at close range) + SRMs is...meh.

Consider twin LB-10X + twin AC/2s or twin AC/5s + SRMs. Forego lasers or keep them tiny. If just the ballistics and missiles just do two groups. Exceptional close range effectiveness but still capable at decent medium-short range.. Alternatively SRMs + AC/20s. Relegates you to short range only, but dayamn.

A King Crab inspired brawler at 85 tons. The IS will soon have the LB-20Xs.

Note the near instant kills this thing produces. Its severe limiting factor is being 85 tons with a big engine and FAR more heatsinks than I need but they are locked (and as such, very little space and tonnage for ammunition), but you're 100 tons and can customize as you please.

Edited by Koniving, 02 July 2017 - 08:16 AM.

#4 Nerokar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 179 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 12:31 AM

As Koniving said. AC2 is a bad brawler weapon.
Switch atleast to Dual UAC5. It frees up 6 tons.
Even better: Switch to a single AC20... Frees up 10 tons... Making even MAX STD Engine possible...
And it can be run Asym allowing you to twist like a boss without losing any shootingtime.
And it is REALY cool.
And you can fit one to three LaZzors in if needed.
And you could strip the empty arm for even more free tonnage...

Or you switch to the one and only REAL Splat-Assault:
REAL Splat-Assault
Well... it runns XL, so skilled Def is a must, twisting and spreading DMG is a must, but after some training... you get other problems like running dry on ammo :D

The last link is just for fun.

#5 Xoco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 281 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 07:06 AM

I am currently running that AC20 + SRMs build (I call it sword and board), and I love the additional weight I get with it, and I find that the damage you can do is pretty amazing.
I pretty much only play PUG, so approaching target from range is a big challenge. Without friendly cover fire, I often has to sacrifice my entire left side to approach the target. Should I focus more on my playstyle than the build then?

#6 Bigbacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:54 PM

i found the crab to be kinda meh with 4xAC2. you are so big and slow you get cored to quickly because you need to keep those ACs firing.

#7 Palfatreos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 398 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 03:05 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6260b50130f2c54

this with civil war in mind it the free crit slot for Light ferro wich give you 0.95 ton extra armor tonnage.

https://kitlaan.gitl...cb332&s=Weapons

you probabaly want reduce amount of consumableson the mech which can put into weapon tree.

#8 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 05 July 2017 - 05:09 AM

View PostXoco, on 02 July 2017 - 05:37 AM, said:

For a while I pulled a Sword and Board Crab (1xAC20, 3xSRM6), and just sacrifice one side on approach.

That is the only way to go if you want to splat-Crab. Although I'd rather do smth like this ...

AC2s and SRMs just don't work together.

#9 Bigbacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 05:42 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 05 July 2017 - 05:09 AM, said:

That is the only way to go if you want to splat-Crab. Although I'd rather do smth like this ...

may have to try this although I'm removing all but 1 armor from the head and beefing up that other arm.

#10 Xoco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 281 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:06 PM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 05 July 2017 - 05:09 AM, said:

Why do you need so much armor on the back? I usually only keep 8 to 10 armor on my back.
Admittedly I play pretty much only PuG, so there are rarely any lights that will gang up on me and shoot my back. And being a splatty crab, I have 1shotted a few lights that attempted to do so. I did get destroyed once when I was out of position and ganked, but I doubt I was going to survive regardless of my back armor. (I was up against an assault, a medium, and a light--I did kill the medium and cored the assault by the time the light killed me though).

#11 Ruccus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:25 PM

View PostXoco, on 13 July 2017 - 05:06 PM, said:

Why do you need so much armor on the back?

Likely he just whipped up the build in Smurfy's and hit the 'max armour' button. Rule of thumb on a Smurfy link is to pay attention to the total amount of armour, not how much is front/back. Put the least amount of back armour you're comfortable running, and the rest on the front.

#12 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 13 July 2017 - 11:58 PM

View PostXoco, on 13 July 2017 - 05:06 PM, said:

Why do you need so much armor on the back?

Don't mind front/rear armor distribution I was just lazy to do it since everyone does its their own way anyway.

#13 Xoco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 281 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 02:19 AM

Oh lord, the RAC2 is just what the doctor ordered for me. I replaced my triple AC2 (which I use mainly to shake people's screen at range) with an RAC2 and an AC20. RAC provides excellent cover fire at range (and it's super easy to hit even on moving target.) And getting an extra AC20 on top of my SRM is a sight to behold.
Another advantage is that most people tend to focus my RAC arm, which actually contribute very little to my actual damage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users