Heavy Mech Blues...

8 replies to this topic

#1 Antonius Zalman

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationNew Kent

Posted 02 July 2017 - 11:19 AM

So i have been looking at the Resistance Hero heavy mech and i am torn between the Grasshopper or the Black Knight. Both have very similar loadouts. Either which way i build it i come to the exact same load out.

-4 Med Lasers
-1 ER LL
-1 LB-10X

Of course with the new tech coming out i want to revamp the load out with a SNPPC and UAC10.

The Grasshopper i did not add the JJs, so im thinking if you guys say "go for the BK if you are not gonna use JJs" If that is the case i think i answered my own question.

But, not entirely sure of my loadout Posted Image

#2 Shifty McSwift

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 11:22 AM

Grasshopper is pretty boxy (simple target frame) and slow over the black knight, so I guess that's another vote for BK.

#3 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 11:56 AM

What role are you going for in this mech exactly? The weapon ranges seem all over the place, you have a single ERLL that will let you do damage at range but also make you lose any trade that you take against anybody built for long range, which there are quite a few people who do per game. The 4 ML and LBX10 puts out 30 points of damage in brawling range but have a duration to hold on target and its only 30 damage and spread in the first place, making you lose even against light mech brawlers who bring 4 SRM4s.

I'd suggest coming up with a role and game plan for each drop and create a build that revolves around getting that task done.

For example, if you were going for long range you could mix 3 ERLL and a gauss rifle like this:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8c2f230372c4b98

If you wanted a poptart this might work:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...79fb97f53967f9c

If you want a brawler maybe this build could do well:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2a9c64513d2ee1a

Black Knight would be better if you wanted to bring an AC20:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8c83a0337fde7ca

Overall Grasshopper offers the ability to poptart and has higher mounted hardpoints for the energy weapons in the torso, allowing it to build some decent trading builds. Black Knight has low mounts and the ability to bring an AC20, its basically all brawl all the time with it.

I'd go with the Grasshopper out of the two due to the options it has.

#4 Antonius Zalman

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationNew Kent

Posted 02 July 2017 - 12:04 PM

I actually like that BK AC20, i am more into brawling!

#5 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 02:18 PM

Black Knight - 1 x AC/20, 6 x ML now with current tech. 1 x AC/20, 3 x ER ML, 2 x Light PPC and an LFE after new tech. Actually if you really want to get down to it, there are a ton of combos available after the new tech.

Grasshopper is good too because your getting those two high shoulder mounted Energy Hard Points, something the Black Knight doesn't get. You can't do the AC/20 but you can do something like an Light Gauss, 2 x Light PPCs in the shoulder and some combo of ER MLs and ER SL in the arm and torso also using an LFE while still retaining good jump capability.

Basically there isn't a right answer to which one is better. Personally I see them as rather equal in terms of performance.

View PostDakota1000, on 02 July 2017 - 11:56 AM, said:

Overall Grasshopper offers the ability to poptart and has higher mounted hardpoints for the energy weapons in the torso, allowing it to build some decent trading builds. Black Knight has low mounts and the ability to bring an AC20, its basically all brawl all the time with it.

I'd go with the Grasshopper out of the two due to the options it has.

This person brings up a very good point. The Grasshopper is more versatile and can be built to taste while the Black Knight tends to be a bit more one dimensional.

Edited by Viktor Drake, 02 July 2017 - 02:20 PM.

#6 BrunoSSace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 1,032 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 July 2017 - 02:42 PM

I own all the Grasshopers and it has a great tanky hit box. Its super safe to run Xl engine in pluss it has jump jets. I don't own a black Knight but they all seem to run standard engines and have low energy hard points. They are tanky but they should be cause they are 5 tons heavier. So they will only get better with the light fusion engines, in my opinion my Grasshopers will stay xl.
Your call, both great mechs I'm just a jumper fan boy.
I own the Grasshopper hero. I didn't use the ballistic hard point. I went xl340 max engine 2 large pulse in high mounts and 4 medim pulse. I had 4 jumpjets and heats of heatsinks. Got me 5th place on the hero leader board.

Edited by BrunoSSace, 02 July 2017 - 02:46 PM.

#7 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 02 July 2017 - 04:33 PM

I would save your money and just build it on a Cataphract or Warhammer. I find a single arm ballistic of little use generally.

#8 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 03 July 2017 - 01:28 AM

The Black Knight I have is visually nice, but it's horribly low mounts make the mech unusable for me.. You have to expose the whole mech to hit anything, and it's just bad..

This is why this mech is stabled and I never use it..

I don't own a Grasshopper, but I see many in-game, and being used by some famous unit players, so I'm guessing it's better in some way..

#9 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 03 July 2017 - 02:15 AM

Neither.

If you absolutely want to use that loadout get yourself a non-hero Stormcrow. Save yourself 20t and money.

Edited by PhoenixFire55, 03 July 2017 - 02:16 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users