Rac's Should Fire During Spool-Up

10 replies to this topic

#1 Midnight Camel

• PipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 07:55 PM

In lieu of the current system wherein spooling up a RAC causes its jam bar to fill before the first shot is fired, i think the most elegant solution that addresses all concerns is to have the RAC immediately fire a round upon trigger pull and then slowly spool up its full ROF as the trigger is held down. The jam bar would fill at a rate proportional to the current ROF.

I presume that the designers intend for this weapon to have limited utility for poking and snap shooting, so the initial ROF could be adjusted to achieve the desired initial effectiveness.

Firing during spool-up also pevents the possibility of macro abuse that a non-firing, non-jamming spool-up would invite.

#2 SPNKRGrenth

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 184 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 09:07 PM

Agreed completely. Firing while spinning up would both make sense, and prevent abuse. A very sensible suggestion I think.

#3 Tyroki

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 09:18 PM

Agreed for the above reasons, and that it will just outright feel better.
It's a shame that they didn't just do this outright.
It's been a while since I last saw a game with anything similar to RACs having to spool up first. They normally have spooling up without firing as an alternative fire, which in MWO's case would maintain potential abuse.

It would also make more sense that the Jam bar starts on spool up.
In fact, they could make the Jam bar start slow and progressively speed up as the weapon spools up, ending at whatever speed the jam bar is intended to be at (which still seems ridiculously fast)

#4 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 02 July 2017 - 09:42 PM

Its already anti macro. If you pulse it to keep it spinning it will keep building the bar.

Over all it even if it wasnt here its not macro abuse when you can do it by hand. I was doing it just fine without a macro until i saw the bar filling up.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 02 July 2017 - 10:01 PM.

#5 Midnight Camel

• PipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 10:29 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 02 July 2017 - 09:42 PM, said:

Its already anti macro. If you pulse it to keep it spinning it will keep building the bar.

You are correct, the current system is anti-macro. I brought up the macro issue because the fix to RAC's most often discussed is to not increment the jam bar while spooling up, making the system macro friendly, which is why some were arguing against it. I was simply pointing out that the solution I'm proposing avoids that whole argument.

#6 Tyroki

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 10:39 PM

Also it firing while spooling up would be more fun.

#7 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 10:50 PM

It would make sense to me.

But is suspect that they can't actually give a weapon a variable rate of fire. It's either firing with its full stats, or it's not firing at all. And that would mean the weapon has no spool-up time at all.

Which to me would be fine, because it's a questionable idea in the first place, and it's reducing the usability of the weapon further, on top of the drawbacks of needing to constantly face your enemy to deliver noteworthy damage. But obviously they wanted to have this mechanic.

#8 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 02 July 2017 - 10:53 PM

View PostMidnight Camel, on 02 July 2017 - 10:29 PM, said:

You are correct, the current system is anti-macro. I brought up the macro issue because the fix to RAC's most often discussed is to not increment the jam bar while spooling up, making the system macro friendly, which is why some were arguing against it. I was simply pointing out that the solution I'm proposing avoids that whole argument.

Personally i would remove it make the spin up time even longer and put some skill into the weapon to keep it spinning. Hopefully this would allow for some buff to bad weapon.

I dont believe in the macro abuse

#9 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,827 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 11:55 PM

i never liked the gatling gun == charging trope that games tend to use. thats not the way they work, gatling guns start to fire as soon as a chambered round passes the firing pin position, every time the barrels turn 1/numberOfBarrels times no matter how fast it spins. obviously you have to do something because irl gatling guns just chew through whatever you point them at, you need to weaken them a lot to keep them from being op. the charging is not the only way to accomplish this. a ramping rate of fire might be the best way to go. its not like the gun is very powerful while its going full tilt.

Edited by LordNothing, 02 July 2017 - 11:56 PM.

#10 Blue Leviathan

Rookie

• The God
  • The God
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 12:06 AM

I agree, start as slow as AC2 then ramp up to full speed until jam bar fills, even ignoring the benefit of getting to fire when you need, would give it a nice effect.

#11 Midnight Camel

• PipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 03:25 PM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 02 July 2017 - 10:50 PM, said:

It would make sense to me.

But is suspect that they can't actually give a weapon a variable rate of fire. It's either firing with its full stats, or it's not firing at all.

That's possible but they didn't have a jam bar before this release either, so they seem to be willing to put in the coding work. Anyway, all we can do is make the best suggestions we can and hope PGI can see their way to implementing them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users