#21 Gentleman Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrench
  • The Wrench
  • 733 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, the land of slurpees and potholes

Posted 04 July 2017 - 03:47 PM

View Postpyrocomp, on 04 July 2017 - 03:35 PM, said:

Is it possible for ATMs to have different speed at different flight stages? To be more comparable to cSRMs (ATMs are hotter, heavier and can have higher spread for their damage) at lower ranges, on par with cSSRMs (damage, spread, etc.) and later slowing down to match to LRMs?

Or if not, can you make it so missile spread can change at distance? If you can make the missiles cluster tighter as it enters each consecutive damage "stage" then that might help solve the dilemma with ATMs being horribly ineffective at range.

#22 pyrocomp

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 03:50 PM

View PostGentleman Reaper, on 04 July 2017 - 03:47 PM, said:

Or if not, can you make it so missile spread can change at distance? If you can make the missiles cluster tighter as it enters each consecutive damage "stage" then that might help solve the dilemma with ATMs being horribly ineffective at range.

Tightening before of after the entering the next stage? E.g. there should be an are of ineffectiveness (while missiles group up) or the area of higher effectiveness (when missiles again group up but don not loose the damage yet)? Second option is illogical but fun in providing resons to speciffically keep at exact range which is plausible in lights and next to impossible in heavies?

#23 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 04 July 2017 - 03:55 PM

View Postpyrocomp, on 04 July 2017 - 03:35 PM, said:

Is it possible for ATMs to have different speed at different flight stages? To be more comparable to cSRMs (ATMs are hotter, heavier and can have higher spread for their damage) at lower ranges, on par with cSSRMs (damage, spread, etc.) and later slowing down to match to LRMs?

Kinda like my suggestion?

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 04 July 2017 - 02:59 PM, said:

If i would ever touch the velocity, i'd just make it so they have variable velocity over ranges: https://mwomercs.com...ile-speed-atms/

The thing is that, the only issue is long range right? So why not just introduce fast flight over long range?

I don't think that it should go fast and then slower cause it presents an exponential decrease for the success rate of impact of missiles. Going at 400 units projectile speed at short range means higher success rate of hit at lower ranges, but 130 units projectile speed at longer ranges presents lower success rate of hit. It would just emphasize close-range effectiveness, when it's supposed to be decent at all ranges, when all specialized missile systems are exceptional at their specialized ranges.

Making it pickup speed, 130/260/400 missile speed seems to be the right way. At 270m, it's still slow enough for AMS and cover, yet at 540m and beyond it should be just as vulnerable to cover and AMS, at between 0m-270m, relatively and without adding the time it took to reach 540m and speed.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 04 July 2017 - 03:58 PM.

#24 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 07:09 PM

View PostChris Lowrey, on 04 July 2017 - 02:32 PM, said:

I cannot get into the engine reasons behind why this is so, but for the moment, this is intentional and by design. But again, everything is subject to feedback and review. So if you feel there is some gameplay reason that ATM's should have faster velocities then LRM's, we'll be sure to look over that feedback against what we are wanting to do with the weapon.

I assumed it was something like this actually but it would still be nice to get accurate numbers in the game, say indicate LRMs are 160 and ATMs are 140 or something to distinguish the fact that whatever the reason, ATMs are reaching their targets slower than physics allows. I mean one of the big debates that has come up when discussing ATM vs LRM is that because ATMs the same speed but have a shallower arc, they actually are faster to the target than LRMs. That is "supposedly" and advantage because most people, like me, aren't thinking in terms of the game engine, they are thinking in terms of velocity and distance. However, obviously time to target isn't something ATMs have as an advantage over LRMs so knowing that, perhaps we might want to feed back that it should be an advantage which in turn might convince you that ATMs should have a 180 velocity as compared to LRMs.

Anyway, it is what it is but just wanted to point out how important little things like that really are.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users