8 replies to this topic

#1 EekaBlitzer

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 06:47 AM

The Laser AMS.

Weighs as much as a normal AMS + one ton of ammo.
Takes up two slots.
Generates heat.

I realise it cannot therefore run out of ammo, but I do not think it will bring any net benefit to a build.
If it took up one space, then that would be another matter.

#2 Messiah Complex

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 06:51 AM

I think its a good trade off, laser ams is fine for extended fights like Faction play or quick play if you have the space for it. Also not having to carry another potentially explodey ammo is nice. Carrying normal AMS is nice because you essentially crit slot split since the ammo can be stored anywhere else.

#3 Ruar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 06:57 AM

I imagine the LAMS will see use on a few very low heat builds, but for the most part it's pretty much worthless with the high heat. An extra ton of ammo is worth more than trying to put in enough DHS to compensate for the LMS. I rarely run out of AMS ammo with a ton and a half, so why should I risk overheating my mech for something that is only useful in the longest of fights?

#4 Mycroft000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 511 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 05 July 2017 - 07:27 AM

LAMS needs to function in one of two ways; either it needs to have a heat cap of 90% and will not increase heat beyond that; or it needs to have a function where it will not fire when your heat is above 90%.

#5 Ruar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 07:35 AM

View Postmycroft000, on 05 July 2017 - 07:27 AM, said:

LAMS needs to function in one of two ways; either it needs to have a heat cap of 90% and will not increase heat beyond that; or it needs to have a function where it will not fire when your heat is above 90%.

I think it should just have low enough heat it's not a huge consideration. So you wouldn't want one on a hot build, but if you have a decently heat friendly build the LAMS is a good option. 1-2 heat should be all it has considering the tonnage and criticals it takes up.

I just don't see the LAMS being that big of a deal compared to a regular AMS. There is just no need for such a steep penalty.

#6 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:00 AM

A must have for a gauss sniper if you want ams... but for most build and match std ams look good enough and you can take half a ton ammo and be able to block some damage.

#7 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:51 AM

I've tried it on the CTF-4X with SnPPC and 2xUAC10. It's acceptable. You just need to find the right mech for it. But, yeah, the same tonnage as an AMS + 1 ton ammo, same crits, never runs out of ammo? If you have a cold running build you could do worse, but most mechs will not be a good fit for it.

#8 Cy Mitchell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 01:19 PM

AS all the others said, for a cool running Gauss or ballistic build it should work fine and will find a place. It is too hot to include on a pure energy build or a mixed build that is heavy on energy. For those, you are better off with the traditional AMS.

#9 Yukikaze Alecto

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 07:35 PM

I'd argue that its a niche piece of equipment. I tried it on the dual AMS Wolfhound, and then sat back for a bit and didn't shoot at all against other players. It works phenomenally well if you're a light, playing defensive cover for larger mechs. The only real issue is, obviously, once you do need to start to shoot back, which again, is why I put it on the Wolfhound - fairly weak offensive armament compared to the big boys and not quite fast enough to really keep up with The Swarm...err....Locusts.

Now mounting it on something like the triple AMS Nova? Or a Kit Fox? Bad Bad HORRIBLE idea. I'd even flat out suggest that even on the Nova-A (or anything with the Nova-A's parts that allow for dual AMS) which only mounts doubles, that it'd be a bad idea to carry one, let alone two.

But a light Mech that normally isn't going to be part of a brawl until the final moments of it, which is to say, isn't going to be spamming its weapons as fast as you can fire them, is likely to be much more effective with a LAMS or dual LAMS than any heavier Mechs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users