35 replies to this topic

#21 vandalhooch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 891 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 03:10 PM

View PostGwei Loong, on 05 July 2017 - 01:02 PM, said:

This is every game that has a MM. The only games where it does not matter are MMO's. Of course MMORPG's also have groups/guilds but they are player made.
The only real problems are when the team loses and that's not even a real issue because you don't lose anything. It's just that some people can't cope with lose, we are not = in are sportsmanship. People except things better when they choose to though and if it’s a group of friends that lost together I find they are ok with that but when someone loses on a team with a person they don’t like then we sometimes hear about it. All MOBA's are like this, MWO is no different.
I kind of think Solaris is the way to go. When you are unhappy with your groups you can just drop 1 v 1. I bet it'll be way busier than the comp. Everyone who's ever complained about solo/group que should agree with this.

I predict the exact opposite will happen. Once faced with the fact that there are much better pilots than themselves, most players will abandon Solaris. Without any teammates to deflect responsibility too, most people don't handle solo losses very well.

If I was PGI I wouldn’t waist anytime trying to fix solo/group que. If you make a que that takes 5-10 mins to find a game MWO will die. So as broken as you may make it out to be it’s better than no server to play on at all. These robots I own depend on PGI or they do not exsits.

View PostCathy, on 05 July 2017 - 02:49 PM, said:

Here we go again

The MM is built to try and give you a win loss ratio of 1/1

The better you play the more potato you have to eat

Irony meter reading is HIGH.

MM does not try to give anyone any sort of W/L ratio.

#22 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,565 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 05 July 2017 - 03:33 PM

The MM can only do so much.

Most battles are won and lost in the mechlab, before any mech on your team leaves a footprint on the map. 80% of the rest of your losses come from collectively poor battlefield choices made by your team. 10% of what's left are due to bad luck, and the rest of your losses are due to the enemy team being better than you.

If you have a team full of tier1 players with builds that don't complement each other, you're probably screwed.
If you have a whole lance of LRM Supernovas (I wish I was joking) you're probably screwed.
If you have a lot of players with mixed playstyles (aggressive/defensive/brawlers etc.) and they don't play to each other's strengths, you're probably screwed.
If the enemy out ranges you on typically open maps like Polar, you're probably screwed.
If your team makes unfavorable trades early, you're probably screwed.
If your team splits, you're probably screwed.
If a few of your mechs get caught out of position early and mauled, you're probably screwed.

There's a myriad of factors at play to explain a loss - and (IMHO) the average level of player experience and skill across your team has little to do with it.

#23 Paigan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 03:36 PM

Goota?
Posted Image

Goata?
Posted Image

My opinion is:
Demandning a change based on a FOUR sample statistic is nothing but whining.
Collect 1000 samples. Correctly and unbiased. Then you can say something with significance.

Edited by Paigan, 05 July 2017 - 03:43 PM.

#24 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 04:01 PM

HOnestly, if everyone that complained about how awful the Solo PUG MM was just went and played groups and comps.. We'd be better off.

I'd rather drop with bad players every time, than listen to some Pro that wants to pug stomp and then ***** about he is pug stomping...

View PostKiiyor, on 05 July 2017 - 03:33 PM, said:

The MM can only do so much.

Most battles are won and lost in the mechlab, before any mech on your team leaves a footprint on the map. 80% of the rest of your losses come from collectively poor battlefield choices made by your team. 10% of what's left are due to bad luck, and the rest of your losses are due to the enemy team being better than you.

If you have a team full of tier1 players with builds that don't complement each other, you're probably screwed.
If you have a whole lance of LRM Supernovas (I wish I was joking) you're probably screwed.
If you have a lot of players with mixed playstyles (aggressive/defensive/brawlers etc.) and they don't play to each other's strengths, you're probably screwed.
If the enemy out ranges you on typically open maps like Polar, you're probably screwed.
If your team makes unfavorable trades early, you're probably screwed.
If your team splits, you're probably screwed.
If a few of your mechs get caught out of position early and mauled, you're probably screwed.

There's a myriad of factors at play to explain a loss - and (IMHO) the average level of player experience and skill across your team has little to do with it.

LOL.. So in other words.. YOUR SCREWED!!! :P

#25 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,565 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 05 July 2017 - 04:14 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 05 July 2017 - 04:01 PM, said:

HOnestly, if everyone that complained about how awful the Solo PUG MM was just went and played groups and comps.. We'd be better off.

I'd rather drop with bad players every time, than listen to some Pro that wants to pug stomp and then ***** about he is pug stomping...

LOL.. So in other words.. YOUR SCREWED!!! Posted Image

Yep. Hopefully less than 50% of the time, if you're lucky :)

#26 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:13 AM

View PostInatu Elimor, on 05 July 2017 - 07:55 AM, said:

I lost 4 games big numbers and it wasn' t me. I don' t blame my team; it was inexperienced while the enemy was. I understand PGI don' t want mechwarriors to wait to long in cue so a mismatch can happen; later it will be balanced by you playing in the experienced team vs not experienced etc.

I BELIEVE THIS NO FUN. I' d like to fight in an even match.

What is you guys opinion ?

The playerbase is too small for the MM to do it's job properly, This is why this happens. PGI needs to invest in marketing and attract new players to expand the player base. Only then will things improve, regardless of what they do to the MM.

Also, another point.

We have Comp play now.. and yet.. these big comp teams still trudge among non-comp population, enforcing and bulling, and making the game only fun for them - and no one else.

This is why we get 48:2 stomps in FP and why most casual players refuse to play FP, and the ones that do get ridiculous wait times, only to be stomped by a comp 12-man premade (some of which are known to have "strange things" happen when you play against them).

If you ask me, the following should be done to curb 12-man stomps and get better matches overall:

1) Invest in marketing and attract new players to increase the player population.

2) Limit the group size in group que to 4, and in FP to 6. Allow bigger groups only in Comp Mode. This way, big groups can't throw their weight around and bully other casual players.

3) Disband ALL units. Instead, organize the playerbase per-faction. Use PGI sponsored TS servers or in-game equivalent. (So no more "EVIL", "MJ12", CWI, "MERC", "228" "HHoD" and other big groups. Instead - "Clan Wolf", "Kurita", "Clan Smoke Jaguar", Davion"..

4) When abuse reports are sent in, right now, they seem to do exactly - nothing. PGI needs to be more active in investigating reports and dealing with abusive players and cheaters. I know a few players I myself have reported for obvious cheating are still doing the same old thing, still cheating, and laughing in the face of everyone else. This is even more so with abusive players that harass an bully others over Voip or chat, and the LRM users have it worst, they (or rather we) have basically become the local punching bag. Enough is enough. PGI needs to clean up it's community of this, cose' this game is turning into a salt-saturated mess of non-fun.

5) After all of this is done - make the matchmaker do it's job and make it impossible for a T1 to drop with a T5. Right now, this happens regularly.

Edited by Vellron2005, 06 July 2017 - 12:15 AM.

#27 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:17 AM

All these people that mention or refer to "a match maker".

What game are you playing? There us no match maker in MWO

#28 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:38 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 06 July 2017 - 12:17 AM, said:

All these people that mention or refer to "a match maker".

What game are you playing? There us no match maker in MWO

I know it looks like that, but there actually is.. but cose' of the small palyerbase, it's not doing it's job properly..

If there was none, there would be no reason for PSR Tiers, Elo rankings and stuff like that..

I know you're being sarcastic, but I'm posting just in case someone doesn't get that.. ;-)

Edited by Vellron2005, 06 July 2017 - 04:38 AM.

#29 Haipyng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 593 posts
  • LocationIn Transit

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:52 AM

I understand where you are coming from. When I brought new players into the group queue so we could play together, we would get squished so hard that it soured them on the game.

Unfortunately, this is as good as it is going to get. This debate has all happened before and will happen again. The MM does not factor in group size or builds and either it can't or won't. PSR is over ridden by population size often to prevent long queue times. We lost real choice in game type in order to prevent long queue times when we got map and game type voting.

MM is what it is based on what they could give us. If they could have made it better I am sure they would have as finding balanced games is one of the biggest hurdles faced by bringing new players in and getting them to stay without being fans of the Game Universe.

#30 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 06 July 2017 - 06:29 AM

View PostInatu Elimor, on 05 July 2017 - 07:55 AM, said:

What is you guys opinion ?

Potatoe queue is filled with potatoes.

#31 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 July 2017 - 07:31 AM

There was no matchmaker in MW4:Mercs. You picked a server and stayed in it until you didn't want to play with the people in there anymore (cause you would see them over and over and over) or the population dwindled and then you picked another server. You always had a mixture of bad, good and average pilots all the time.

I don't understand why a matchmaker is such a big deal.

#32 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 06 July 2017 - 07:41 AM

View PostCoolant, on 06 July 2017 - 07:31 AM, said:

I don't understand why a matchmaker is such a big deal.

Because back in our time there weren't any safezones and we liked it.

#33 Colonel ONeill

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 662 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 July 2017 - 08:08 AM

View PostTWIAFU, on 06 July 2017 - 06:29 AM, said:

Potatoe queue is filled with potatoes.

Pretty much this.

2-3 Years ago (during8v8) the matches have been quite some fun. Usually everybody was contributing on the level I was playing back then.
Right now, intresting games are really rare due to the lack of matchmaking.

Around 4-6 guys usually struggle to get past doubledigits. Just 1-3 guys get quite high numbers and some finish OKish.

I think a good ELO system and a matchmaking that would take 1-3min instead of 3sec would raise the quality of games by a huge amount!
I feel like Quickplay is getting to the level CW had 1-2yrs ago.

#34 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 10:29 AM

Solo MM, horrible as it is, is less likely to leave you repeatedly getting the same groups over and over again.

Because solo > group > comp in terms of a player pool size.

I think a good ELO system and a matchmaking that would take 1-3min instead of 3sec would raise the quality of games by a huge amount!

The current system makes it no harder to gain or easier to lose progress whether you're a T5 scrub or T1, in EMP, and can kill people at 1000m with a small laser because they simply drop dead from knowing you aimed at them, you superior sonofagun.

And that's why the turds float with the cream to the top.

#35 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 06 July 2017 - 10:37 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 06 July 2017 - 04:38 AM, said:

I know it looks like that, but there actually is.. but cose' of the small palyerbase, it's not doing it's job properly..

If there was none, there would be no reason for PSR Tiers, Elo rankings and stuff like that..

I know you're being sarcastic, but I'm posting just in case someone doesn't get that.. ;-)

Funny thing is he is being sarcastic, but he isnt at the same time.

Because a MM with not enough people to make it function properly is pretty much no MM.

View PostBrain Cancer, on 06 July 2017 - 10:29 AM, said:

Solo MM, horrible as it is, is less likely to leave you repeatedly getting the same groups over and over again.

Because solo > group > comp in terms of a player pool size.

The current system makes it no harder to gain or easier to lose progress whether you're a T5 scrub or T1, in EMP, and can kill people at 1000m with a small laser because they simply drop dead from knowing you aimed at them, you superior sonofagun.

And that's why the turds float with the cream to the top.

Actually the current systems makes it hard lose PSR ever. Even in really bad losses you go down 1 pt where as in a bad win you gain 3. Good wins you would gain like 5.

#36 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 10:57 AM

Actually the current systems makes it hard lose PSR ever. Even in really bad losses you go down 1 pt where as in a bad win you gain 3. Good wins you would gain like 5.

That too, which means most players don't get dropped down in tiers. It'd be nearly impossible for me to go any direction but T1 now, because the entire PSR system is designed to stuff all players, regardless of actual skill into the same pool.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users