How Would You Fix Fw?

Mode

207 replies to this topic

#201 inqmannen

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:38 AM

Fixing FP is to remove it and make Quickplay alot better like adding 4vs4, 8vs8 options to Quickplay.

And ofcourse! - bring back maps like forest colony snow and frozen city night !

#202 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:06 PM

View Postsycocys, on 24 July 2017 - 05:28 AM, said:

That's why you just fold the solo quick play directly into FW basically as-is, just make it so all the game participation counts towards CW.

There's just no purpose in having QP be a separate pool from CW in this game, there should only be one mode. The problems with past CW design is that it was opening up 40+ buckets of games (easy to see how much better the mode worked in the Tuk events when groups couldn't just wait for pugs to show up) and the forced tech limitations on mercenaries.

Get rid of those two things by allowing players to run whatever mechs they want, then rewarding them for matching their chosen contract, and putting EVERYONE in 4 group size pools gets rid of the modes biggest problems - and has the entire game population engaged in the faction control.

Have campaign mode (multi-matches) and you easily create a feeling of progressing and tension for each matchup that progresses in difficulty and variation the larger groups you run (and more matches you unlock to play in a row).

You can pretty well eliminate the entire PSR/MM part of the system because people will either be totally random (solo drops) or dropping into matches that will pretty naturally balance themselves out (all the group drops).

Lastly - you can actually balance the techs out because the entire game is wide open to your mech selection choices.

That's not really going to work as intended as people play casually in Quick Play and having that affect the outcome/results does not really help the mode as a whole.

You don't really want to have casual players affect competitive-organized matches (not hardcore like league-level).

What ends up happening is faction stacking, which doesn't really help CW population or CW contracts whatsoever.

Edited by Deathlike, 24 July 2017 - 07:08 PM.

#203 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 04:40 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 24 July 2017 - 07:06 PM, said:

That's not really going to work as intended as people play casually in Quick Play and having that affect the outcome/results does not really help the mode as a whole.

You don't really want to have casual players affect competitive-organized matches (not hardcore like league-level).

What ends up happening is faction stacking, which doesn't really help CW population or CW contracts whatsoever.

Casual players wouldn't have any affect on competitive matches, unlike the current system where scouting affects the 12v12 matches. The only thing it affects is the background storyline of planet control, background being the key word there - there's simply no need for the players to have any control over that at all.
-- scouting matches (bonus earning matches) are built right into the group sized campaigns instead of being a side affect of random players interjecting into competitive matches.

Faction stacking wouldn't make one bit of difference either as everyone go into the same set of mixed pools. If people feel like lopsiding the factions to affect the background story then so be it, the method I suggested removed that strategy from having any affect on the actual gameplay.
- so it wouldn't matter one bit if all the big units all went to the same faction, its quite possible they get pitted against each other having matches that only serve to add points to unit control with zero sum effect on planet control.
-- there'd be no more faction v faction/IS v Clan. Everything is mixed drop and decks are all capable of selecting both sets of mechs - rewards are lowered overall then adjusted up for adhering to your contract specifications.

What this means is there would be 4 TOTAL queues outside of comp mode 5 if you want to add an alternative 1 drop group mode. 1 solo, 3 different group size. No pug farming, if you drop group you are facing another group of the same size 100% of the time. If you drop solo, you are facing solo 100% of the time.

#204 Kyrie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 04:48 AM

See signature and related links, specifically the hex map concept from MPBT 3025.

#205 LordFatman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 183 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 09:43 AM

I would say fix the drop ship so do don't get stuck under water or in a rock wait to 3 more times till if fixes and drops you with damaged legs

#206 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 July 2017 - 10:06 AM

My ideas to improve FP:

1. Faction Specific Mechs get heavily incentivized. We need to provide some difference between the banners on both sides of the tech tree and this would be a great way to start. Factions with fewer options could have different reward pay outs for certain mechs to incentivize their use when playing for that faction. Allowing for a "salvaged mech" slot (1 of 4 not being specific to said faction) with lower rewards would allow for players to use all mechs, but would still provide incentive for the use of mechs typical for their faction.

2. A dynamic political campaign system in which rewards for completing a weekly objective will provide a short rewards boost, competition for conquered planets could be negotiated (i.e. trade rewards boost for planet claim) or by a battle challenge (i.e. Clan Wolf challenges Jade Falcon for both rewards and planet while other factions will fight along side their allied Clan)

3. Mission conditions that place restrictions on drop deck tonnage or mech weight classes allowed (i.e. matches with only lights and mediums, or matches requiring heavies and assaults). We'd finally get some interesting variations to the standard drop deck tonnage which would add to variety and create new situations for players to react to.

#207 Commander A9

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 8
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationGDI East Coast Command, Fort Dix, NJ

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:57 PM

How would I fix Faction Warfare?

I'd set both sides' tonnage to 250 tons and never change it again!

And even though it might saturate the market, I'd give a C-Bill bonus alongside the existing MC bonus to every member of a unit which puts a tag up on a planet when that planet is captured.

For the capturing House/Clan/ Faction, all players who participated in at least one Faction Warfare match in that cycle after scoring over 150 match score would receive a one-time C-Bill bonus per combat cycle resulting in a successful capture.

I.e., Clan Wolf captures a planet. The capturing unit gets an MC bonus. All members of that unit get a C-Bill reward, and all members of Clan Wolf who played 1 match of Faction Warfare and scored 150 match score get a C-Bill bonus. Loyalists get the most. Mercenaries get a little less. Freelancers get none until they choose a House/Faction to fight for.

Edited by Commander A9, 27 July 2017 - 04:01 PM.

#208 Moonlight Grimoire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 941 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 27 July 2017 - 04:54 PM

Remove random siege as siege is terrible tbh. Keep it as the final push to capture, but, by the stars, it is a horrid mode. I did my time in Phase 1 and 2 of CW, I actually enjoy the other modes with respawns as people actually are willing to fight instead of pussyfoot around. Siege on the other hand is just down right infuriating to play. Hell have the competitive mode be Siege, best 3/5 and it flips each round. Yeah, sure, takes forever, but, you know then it would have a place where it would be enjoyed by people who like it and not forced down the throats of people who otherwise just want to play CW modes except for siege like we were able to for a short while, until "random siege" was introduced.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users