Feedback On Atms And Racs

2 replies to this topic

#1 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 01:12 PM

A lot of debate on the topics. I'm only giving feedback on these two things because I've tested them extensively and feel I've got enough familiarity on them to give useful feedback.

RACs: Right now they're just bad UACs. I get the intent but DPS doesn't happen in a vacuum. It's about shots you take and can take and what that does for you. Also what you can and can't build. With RACs a slot bigger I can put 2xUAC5s in a ST with LFE, can't do that with RAC5s.

No jam bar fill while spinning up, longer run time before filling. The tradeoff you give for the DPS is, in mechanical practice, steep. You have to stare which makes you vulnerable to all return fire from all visible enemies and you've got to commit to engaging a target for an extended period. No snap-shots, you lose every single brief exchange with lasers, ACs, UACs and PPFLD.

To make that worthwhile the DPS they do over a 3-5 second stretch has to be *way* higher. The weapon loses out for boating, pokes, snapshots and trades. The moment you put it on your mech you've committed to losing a lot of situations. If they're not the best DPS weapon by a good stretch then you're losing way more than you're gaining.

ATMs: The most potential to really change the game of every weapon. That sweet spot of a good mid range middle weapon. The existence of good ATMs can bridge the gap between long range poke mechs and dedicated brawlers. However they have 2 hard counters that mean they will never really be viable while these 2 things are true:

1. Weak vs AMS. The ability to functionally turn off 80% of the value of the weapon system means the weapon can't be taken seriously in a competitive/serious way. Unless they have SRM health they're going to be a pug queue weapon, good for farming potatoes and that's it.

2. 120m and less 0 damage. Any weapon that is situationally worthless is functionally overall worthless. Ppc/Gauss is weak in a brawl but not WORTHLESS. If Gauss and Erppcs had a flat min range then all anyone would seriously use would be lasers. They can be weak up close (1 damage, even less up super close) but they need to be able to damage or kill someone up close.

My recommendation would be scale damage from 1 or even 0.5 damage from 0m to 180m at 2.7 damage, 2.7 damage from 180 to 270, then scale down to 0 at 810m. That would make them a solid, viable mid range weapon without stomping on other missiles.

A velocity boost would also help a lot. At the least though those 2 things.

#2 Bad Pun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 01:48 PM

On ATMs, I'd be happy with only a few small changes. It can keep the deadzone, but only if it's 90 meters at most. Second, ammo count is too low, 90 per ton would be IMO a good number. Third, velocity. Only reaching a target in the time an LRM would is silly for a (nearly) direct fire missile. 200+ m/s feels like what it needs. And lastly, your point you made, health V. AMS. Half again as much would keep them from being little more than matchscore nibbles for the target.

RACs though? I've pretty much given up on them. Somebody in the design side of it went way too crazy on them and ended up with something too complicated.

#3 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 02:03 PM

The velocity isn't quite as bad because of a flat trajectory. I'd like it, but could live without it. The problem with a 90m minimum is it just increases the feast/famine issue that makes them brutal vs pugs but weak vs good players. 3 damage from 90-270m is a bit much. 3 damage at all is a bit much. I'm playing over 100 damage alpha mechs consistently as it is and it's an issue - right up until min range, then it's worthless. That will never fly in a serious environment.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users