3 replies to this topic

#1 Zergling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 07:03 PM

For Civil War tech:

ER Micro Laser - it has worse damage/heat ratio than Clan ER Small Laser; reduce heat from 1.7 to 1.4
Micro Pulse Laser - worse DPS than Clan ER Small Laser and far too short ranged; increase damage from 3.0 to 3.3, increase optimal range from 90 to 120, increase maximum range from 180 to 240.

Heavy Small Laser - barely more damage and worse damage/heat ratio than Clan ER Small Laser, along with half the range; increase damage from 6 to 7, reduce heat from 4.25 to 4.0, increase cooldown from 3.9 to 4.75, increase optimal range from 100 to 120, increase max range from 180 to 240.
Heavy Medium Laser - beam duration is too long and has more DPS than Clan ER Medium; reduce duration from 1.45 to 1.35, increase cooldown from 5.15 to 5.75.
Heavy Large Laser - beam duration is too long and it is too hot; reduce beam duration from 1.55 to 1.45, reduce heat from 17 to 14, increase cooldown from 6.00 to 6.25.

ATM3/6/9/12 - minimum range is a poor method to prevent them from being better than Streak SRMs at close range. Remove the minimum range and increase their spread at shorter ranges so they don't focus damage so good. Also give them a flat missile arc so they can't be used indirectly, as in TT.

MRM10/20/30/40 - too much spread to work in the role of a medium range weapon; reduce spread by at least 25%
MRM10 - DPS/ton needs to be higher for the smallest MRM launcher; decrease cooldown from 4.3 to 4.0.
MRM20 - has the worst DPS/ton ratio of all MRM launchers and shared best damage/heat ratio; reduce cooldown from 4.3 to 4.0, increase heat from 6 to 7.
MRM40 - needs to have slightly worse DPS/ton ratio than other MRM launchers; increase cooldown from 4.75 to 4.80.

Light Gauss - still has substantially worse DPS/ton ratio than regular Inner Sphere Gauss Rifle; reduce cooldown from 3.75 to 3.00.
Heavy Gauss - 180 meter optimal range forces it to compete with AC20s that it can never hope to compete with; increase optimal range from 180 meters to 600 meters, increase maximum range from 810 to 1200 meters, reduce damage from 25 to 20, reduce cooldown from 6.5 to 5.75.

Heavy PPC - far too hot; reduce heat from 14.5 to 12.0.
Snub-Nosed PPC - too hot again, reduce heat from 10 to 8.

Inner Sphere ER Medium Laser - has worse damage/heat ratio than Inner Sphere ER Large Laser; reduce heat from 4.5 to 4.2.

What the ghost heat limits should be for each weapon:
ER Micro Laser = 12
Micro Pulse Laser = 6
Heavy Small Laser = 6
Heavy Medium Laser = 6
Heavy Large Laser = 2
ATM 3 = 6
ATM 6 = 3
ATM 9 = 2
ATM 12 = 1
MRM10 = 5
MRM20 = 3
MRM30 = 2
MRM40 = 1
Light Gauss = 4
Heavy Gauss = 2
Light PPC = 4
Heavy PPC = 2
Snub-Nosed PPC = 2
RAC2 = 4
RAC5 = 2

Edited by Zergling, 06 July 2017 - 11:12 PM.

#2 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 09:29 PM

Not bad; I think the omission of existing weapons and their deficiencies kinda hurts a little.

If the HPPC is 12, heat with no damage or velocity changes, that puts the standard PPC out of a job without a heat change and makes the ER PPC look even worse. A colder standard PPC likewise puts an 8 heat SN-PPC and a 5-heat LPPC out of a job. Butterfly effect.

Disagree with the heat generation on the Heavy Large lasers. That makes them more viable massed on 'Mechs that don't deserve any more laser firepower than they can already bring. Meanwhile, the chief 'Mechs that benefit from their existence actually can more than adequately cool the 17-heat (because the whole build is only 40). We don't need Shadowcats running around with the same repeatability as a BJ-1X on top of the JJs, MASC, and ECM. Furthermore, decreasing the heat and increasing the cool-down kind of cancel each other out, save for now you can bring more guns to fire mid-cycle with the extra heat capacity (which goes back to the first statement in this section).

The Heavy Small Laser's problem isn't raw damage, it's range and cycle. A range buff to 120-150 meters and reduction of the cool-down to 2.75 or 3.00 seconds would be both more appropriate and more effective, I think. At 7 damage and an even longer cycle, they are just as clumsy and unwieldy within that hyper-close brawl as they are now.

Very much agree with the HGauss change.

#3 Zergling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:11 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 06 July 2017 - 09:29 PM, said:

If the HPPC is 12, heat with no damage or velocity changes, that puts the standard PPC out of a job without a heat change and makes the ER PPC look even worse. A colder standard PPC likewise puts an 8 heat SN-PPC and a 5-heat LPPC out of a job. Butterfly effect.

What would you propose then? All PPCs (not including ER PPC) having the same damage/heat ratio?

As for SN-PPC, it really doesn't compete with the other PPCs due to much shorter optimal range and no minimum range.
It compares more with Medium Lasers and the Large Pulse Laser. Beyond its optimal range, the SN-PPC is really terrible compared to other PPCs, and within its optimal range it is still underwhelming compared to lasers.

View PostYeonne Greene, on 06 July 2017 - 09:29 PM, said:

Disagree with the heat generation on the Heavy Large lasers. That makes them more viable massed on 'Mechs that don't deserve any more laser firepower than they can already bring. Meanwhile, the chief 'Mechs that benefit from their existence actually can more than adequately cool the 17-heat (because the whole build is only 40). We don't need Shadowcats running around with the same repeatability as a BJ-1X on top of the JJs, MASC, and ECM. Furthermore, decreasing the heat and increasing the cool-down kind of cancel each other out, save for now you can bring more guns to fire mid-cycle with the extra heat capacity (which goes back to the first statement in this section).

The Heavy Small Laser's problem isn't raw damage, it's range and cycle. A range buff to 120-150 meters and reduction of the cool-down to 2.75 or 3.00 seconds would be both more appropriate and more effective, I think. At 7 damage and an even longer cycle, they are just as clumsy and unwieldy within that hyper-close brawl as they are now.

Near as I can tell, the niche for Heavy Lasers is supposed to be high alpha. Compared to ER Lasers, their drawbacks should be higher beam duration and shorter range for sure, while the Heavy Small and Heavy Large indicate they should also have less DPS than Clan ER Lasers of the same size (Heavy Medium somehow has higher DPS and Damage/Heat than the Clan ER Medium).

Given their shorter range than Clan ER Lasers, damage/heat ratios for the Heavy Lasers should also be higher than Clan ER Lasers; they'll be forced into brawls more often where that ratio is important (see regular IS Lasers versus IS ER Lasers for precedent for that).
They shouldn't be as high as Clan Pulse Lasers though (and pulse lasers should be superior in DPS/ton too).

As for the Heavy Small, doing 6 damage versus the ER Small at 5 just isn't enough of an advantage for the drawbacks of higher beam duration, shorter range and less DPS.
Even if the weapon was adjusted to have a higher damage/heat ratio than the ER Small (but lower than the Micro Pulse), it still wouldn't offset its disadvantages.

Eg, here is how the ER Small, Heavy Small and Micro Pulse compare now:
ER Small = 5 damage, 1.30 DPS, 1.67 damage/heat, 1.1 duration, 200 optimal range,
Heavy Small = 6 damage, 1.18 DPS, 1.41 damage/heat, 1.2 duration, 100 optimal range
Micro Pulse = 3 damage, 1.25 DPS, 1.76 damage/heat, 0.5 duration, 90 optimal range

The Heavy Small is just about worthless; for 20% higher alpha damage it is worse in all other areas.

Reducing cooldown and increasing the Heavy Small's range isn't much of a way to get it to compete with the ER Small; all that is doing is turning it into another (but still inferior) ER Small.

If the Heavy Small received 3.00 second cooldown, it'd have 1.43 DPS; it'd be beating the Micro Pulse then, and pulse lasers are supposed to be the best when it comes to DPS (according to PGI's recent laser re-balance, anyway), so that's not an option.

Reducing heat to 3.5 gives it a damage/heat ratio of 1.71, between the ER Small and Micro Pulse.
That isn't much of an advantage; nowhere near enough to make for a viable weapon.

Of course, the Micro Pulse would be buffed in damage/heat ratio if it received a damage increase from 3 to 3.3; it'd go up to 1.94, which gives more room for a higher damage/heat ratio for the Heavy Small over the ER Small.
The Heavy Small could then have its heat reduced to 3.25, increasing damage/heat to 1.85.

That sorta works, but I still feel as if the niche it has still isn't distinctive enough, and also contrasts to the much higher cooldowns of the Heavy Medium and Large.

Lastly, I'm all for a range increase for the Heavy Small; I forgot to mention that one in the OP. At the very least, it should be increased to 120 meter optimal and 240 max range.
I've edited the OP to mention that now.

Edited by Zergling, 06 July 2017 - 11:21 PM.

#4 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:55 PM

View PostZergling, on 06 July 2017 - 11:11 PM, said:

What would you propose then? All PPCs (not including ER PPC) having the same damage/heat ratio?

As for SN-PPC, it really doesn't compete with the other PPCs due to much shorter optimal range and no minimum range.
It compares more with Medium Lasers and the Large Pulse Laser. Beyond its optimal range, the SN-PPC is really terrible.

Well, there are several options. A heat drop across the entire class is one. Increasing the value on other stats is another option. Some combination of both, too, i.e.:

LPPC = 5 dam, 4.5 heat, 540 m, 3.5 s cooldown, 1300 m/s velocity, hard 90 m minimum range
PPC = 10 dam, 8.5 heat, 650 m, 4 s cooldown, 1300 m/s velocity, exponential minimum decay
ER PPC = 10 dam, 12.5 heat, 810 m, 4 s cooldown, 1600 m/s velocity, no minimum
HPPC = 15 dam, 15 heat, 540 m, 4.5 s cooldown, 1200 m/s velocity, no minimum

The BJ-3 is my measuring stick for where the PPC and ERPPC ought to perform, the rest revolve around it.

SN-PPC at 8 heat is probably fine, or even 8.5 heat. What it really needs after that point is lower cool-down, i.e. 3.25 seconds similar to the LPL. They don't share range, they don't share ease of use, there is little danger of one straight-up obsoleting the other. I wouldn't take SN-PPC on a laser boat, for instance, especially not when it's capped to 270 meters. I would take it on an SRM bomber, though, since it would be a better fit than the LPL.

Near as I can tell, the niche for Heavy Lasers is supposed to be high alpha. Compared to ER Lasers, their drawbacks should be higher beam duration and shorter range for sure, while the Heavy Small and Heavy Large indicate they should also have less DPS than Clan ER Lasers of the same size (Heavy Medium somehow has higher DPS and Damage/Heat than the Clan ER Medium).

Given their shorter range than Clan ER Lasers, damage/heat ratios for the Heavy Lasers should also be higher than Clan ER Lasers; they'll be forced into brawls more often where that ratio is important (see regular IS Lasers versus IS ER Lasers for precedent for that).
They shouldn't be as high as Clan Pulse Lasers though (and pulse lasers should be superior in DPS/ton too).

Eh, not really how I see them. I see their niche as being superior firepower per hardpoint. They are the solution 'Mechs like the Shadowcat have been waiting for if they want to go energy-centric. On that note, 2x cHLL ought to have the capability of similar DPS to 4x isLL...if you can mount the cooling to keep it there. Which you can do, if you don't boat them and leave enough room for the appropriate amount of heatsinks.

For the brawl question: I don't think that's the way to think about it. Nobody brawls with isMedLas or isLargeLas, they strike with them. As in, hit and run, poke, or a short-range push for the kill. I see Heavy Lasers operating in that same mode. Their chief competition comes from the cMPL, which also works in that mode.

As for the Heavy Small, doing 6 damage versus the ER Small at 5 just isn't enough of an advantage for the drawbacks of higher beam duration, shorter range and less DPS.
Even if the weapon was adjusted to have a higher damage/heat ratio than the ER Small (but lower than the Micro Pulse), it still wouldn't offset its disadvantages.

Eg, here is how the ER Small, Heavy Small and Micro Pulse compare now:
ER Small = 5 damage, 1.30 DPS, 1.67 damage/heat, 1.1 duration, 200 optimal range,
Heavy Small = 6 damage, 1.18 DPS, 1.41 damage/heat, 1.2 duration, 100 optimal range
Micro Pulse = 3 damage, 1.25 DPS, 1.76 damage/heat, 0.5 duration, 90 optimal range

The Heavy Small is just about worthless; for 20% higher alpha damage it is worse in all other areas.

Reducing cooldown and increasing the Heavy Small's range isn't much of a way to get it to compete with the ER Small; all that is doing is turning it into another (but still inferior) ER Small.

If the Heavy Small received 3.00 second cooldown, it'd have 1.43 DPS; it'd be beating the Micro Pulse then, and pulse lasers are supposed to be the best when it comes to DPS (according to PGI's recent laser re-balance, anyway), so that's not an option.

See, we're encountering what I call a "crunch" at the small, close-range bracket. There simply isn't enough battlefield diversity to support so many guns with such similar traits.

The way I look at it, the ridiculous tonnage savings of Micro lasers is why you take them. On something like an ammo-dependent Light, you might be able to fit some of them and deal some non-trivial supplemental damage without digging into your ammo reserve too much. That is their strength. It's not in the damage, DPS, heat, etc., it's in the weight. Less so the Micro Pulse, which may actually have merit as a brawl weapon on its own, but still.

For the ERSL and HSL, the problem the HSL has even up close is follow-through. The numbers don't tell you the whole story, especially when you consider that you aren't ever really firing your lasers as fast as you possibly can. But, in practice, the cool-down and long duration on the HSL forces that gap to be longer than the acceptable cadence at face-grinding ranges. You sit there and eat two volleys from ERSL before you can get your second HSL volley out, and that's a problem.

Personally, what I did for my laser variables was have a hard rule where all Clan lasers had a max range of 1.75x optimum. That A.) allowed better balance against IS lasers with weaker damage ratings and inferior optimums and B.) constrained the more diverse Clan lasers to more tightly defined range brackets, giving each of the options greater meaning. When you went from Micro Pulse to HSL, you traded great DPS for twice the up-front damage. When you went from HSL to ERSL, you traded damage away for range. Granted, I may have made the MicroPulse a little too good, but it also has the worst range of every laser on that chart.

Edited by Yeonne Greene, 06 July 2017 - 11:56 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users