20 replies to this topic

#1 CK16

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 07 July 2017 - 01:03 PM

Sooo.....something I have noticed missing here for awhile now, think the last post of a New mechs Lore write up and Orthos print was the Roughneck! Ever since nothing :( it has been 6 or more months and mech releases yet nothing. I was really hoping the weeks leading up to the July patch would have some of these posts for the Civil War mechs but so far nothing and we are with in 3 or 4 days before the official countdown week starts....Is Mr. Bills still even able to write them since his promotion. Just really enjoyed these little tidbits with very mech added recently.

#2 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 07 July 2017 - 01:17 PM

I think lore and voiced bios is something that we all wanted for the longest time now. I would much rather have PGI take the time and energy out to write up the lore behind each and every mech in game. It would help newer players getting into the battletech universe with voiced narrative bios behind each major battletech event as well. I think I would be much more interested in throwing my money into that instead of a solaris arena feature. Immersion is one thing this game desperately needs right now.

Edited by Arnold The Governator, 07 July 2017 - 01:19 PM.

#3 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 07 July 2017 - 05:22 PM

Minimally viable MWO lore became even more minimal. Sad.

#4 Khalcruth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Steiner
  • Hero of Steiner
  • 808 posts
  • LocationYou gotta lose your mind in Detroit! Rock City!

Posted 07 July 2017 - 05:35 PM

What do you mean by an "ortho"?

#5 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:23 PM

View PostKhalcruth, on 07 July 2017 - 05:35 PM, said:

What do you mean by an "ortho"?

roughneck's ortho:

Posted Image

Google:

What is an orthographic drawing?
An orthographic drawing, sometimes called a working drawing, is usually the last drawing produced by a designer. It normally has three accurate views of a product, a front view, side view and plan view.

... it helps the modelers build the mech in 3d as they can prop up the orthos as a background per view, and will then fill in the details of each view.

An example of how one could use othro's to aid in modeling:

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 07 July 2017 - 06:27 PM.

#6 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:19 PM

I don't even want to reply to this topic its so sad. But through force of will :) I am able to say, it sucks this game is all mechs all the time and nothing else has been added.

#7 Shadowomega1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 987 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:54 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 07 July 2017 - 09:19 PM, said:

I don't even want to reply to this topic its so sad. But through force of will Posted Image I am able to say, it sucks this game is all mechs all the time and nothing else has been added.

Well the issue is messing with lore to much will anger the people fond of the decades of lore already there. Retconning is often hated by many communities, mostly what we have seen is just little pieces that fit within the current lore and timeline or references the old lore directly. Remember the posts denouncing the Roughneck when it came out? Even though they created great piece that fits the nature and lore of the time period. Imagine if they made a massive change in the lore via retcon or set a conflict on going during another conflict like the FedCom civil war that just couldn't happen due to the forces deployed already.

As for Orto's the dev team is likely to busy making sure the 8 mechs coming are done to spec. As for voice acting, the VO of Duncan Fisher from Mechwarrior 4 Mercs, George Ledoux, has done a few over on his youtube channel. However from the looks of his channel feed he has been doing a lot of Voice work and has been to busy.

His youtube channel for those that don't have it.
https://www.youtube....er/CussinGeorge

#8 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 07 July 2017 - 11:14 PM

Lore would give players the impression the company actually cares about the game

Edited by JackalBeast, 07 July 2017 - 11:15 PM.

#9 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 07 July 2017 - 11:20 PM

Just some.basic stuff like CW planet descriptions, and maybe a little made up quotes and descriptions for weapon systems and mech variants would go a long way in making everything feel more alive.

Oh, and actual ingame back stories, or even just links to Sarna, about the current political climate, what the Houses and Clans are, and basic Battletech terms. Little bits of me die inside when I find those who don't know what zellbrigen, batchall, trueborns, or even Clan Diamond Shark are.

#10 Tincan Nightmare

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 11:40 PM

They should have a simply timeline for the history of the IS, giving just a brief nod to the backstory of the game, from the fall of the Star League and Succession Wars, to the Clan Invasion and the Fedcom Civil War (since that's where the timeline has stopped). They should also get the TRO pages for each mech, with the option to view it either from the store or from it's mechbay once purchased. Just copy the real TRO page over, just replacing any drawings with the actual in game model. Maybe even an online glossary of basic terms that apply to BT (like Omnimech, Trueborn, Comstar, Jumpship, etc...). This could be a very simple way to increase player immersion, and considering that (as long as they have permission) it's just a copy and paste job from the numerous sourcebooks and TRO's, not even that complicated.

#11 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,575 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 08 July 2017 - 12:04 AM

When they mentioned a wiki here I was hoping it meant fans could fill tbe gap, but alas...

#12 BrunoSSace

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 1,032 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 July 2017 - 01:43 AM

They could do a fornightly news bulletin or lore download of a mech. Lore battles or important pilots in history and their mech load outs. I know they probably wouldn't make any money from it. But be nice if they pretend to care a little. I know I watch Youtube and read Sarna to get my Lore fix on the new mechs I pilot.

#13 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 06:53 AM

Only die hards are going to care about lore and ortho, most people probably want stompy robot fights.

Mwo isnt TT BT, its an action game utilizing assets from BT/MW

#14 Red-Mattila

• PipPipPip
  • Warrior - Point 1
  • Warrior - Point 1
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 07:15 AM

View PostBigbacon, on 08 July 2017 - 06:53 AM, said:

Only die hards are going to care about lore and ortho, most people probably want stompy robot fights.

Mwo isnt TT BT, its an action game utilizing assets from BT/MW

Yes this is an action game but the rewards for playing the game is to get c-bills to buy more mechs, that's it. If all I get for playing for hours is another stompy robot that plays just like every other one shouldn't there be a little lore to get me excited about buying it? If pgi is going to pop out a $40 mech pack every other week they can at least take a few minutes and go to Sarna and write up a paragraph or two, it's not hard.

Edited by Red-Mattila, 08 July 2017 - 08:20 AM.

#15 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 08 July 2017 - 09:51 PM

Russ says : No 3PV is to difficult for the Players, my little Boy can not play with only Firstpersonview ...now we Have Blink Blink 3PV Drones

Now Russ says ...City Maps to difficult

a real FW with Tactical and Strategical elements with real Funtions (Factory Worlds -Logistic-Travelltimes-Droproutes) ...its to difficult ?

Minimap ..4 Years for clear contrasting Letters and Numbers of it , and with a Colorfull Screenie as background with nothing Tactical sense ...Minimap with clear topographic View to difficult ?

First days the Maps to small (with Large Laser of river you can sniping from one to other Spawn) ..ok, lets snipping the Range of Heat/Nightview ...the Maps now Larger, the Views further snipping in Range.

Collisions and IK ,Ammo and Reapir all gone ...its to difficult

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 08 July 2017 - 09:52 PM.

#16 Oldbob10025

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 831 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationOldfolks home

Posted 09 July 2017 - 01:04 AM

Lore would bring in more players and also the majority of players want lore. Yes some want "Pew pew pew" but you would get lore with "pew pew pew" still so everyone would be happy in the long run. It would take one person about 4 days to fill out all the planets are each planet has about 10 pages of lore on it and only need to snip only .05% of the lore of that planet. Also every mech in the game would have a short bio about the mech and some history to get people excited on the game...

We can only wish and hope but I think the lore part will be Battletech Online when it comes out from HBS. Untill then "pew pew pew"

#17 xVLFBERHxT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 698 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 01:16 AM

No lore, no orthos for PetMechs.

"Deal with it" and buy the next 8 chassi super ulta everybodys ICONIC ubermech mechpack you always wanted...

Edited by xVLFBERHxT, 09 July 2017 - 01:18 AM.

#18 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 07:42 AM

View PostOldbob10025, on 09 July 2017 - 01:04 AM, said:

Lore would bring in more players and also the majority of players want lore. Yes some want "Pew pew pew" but you would get lore with "pew pew pew" still so everyone would be happy in the long run. It would take one person about 4 days to fill out all the planets are each planet has about 10 pages of lore on it and only need to snip only .05% of the lore of that planet. Also every mech in the game would have a short bio about the mech and some history to get people excited on the game...

We can only wish and hope but I think the lore part will be Battletech Online when it comes out from HBS. Untill then "pew pew pew"

no it really won't bring in more players.

#19 BumbleBee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 527 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 11:04 AM

Actually, I ended up spending almost as much time in the Archive Holoprojector as I did in mission back in MW2. That was my introduction to Battletech and I'm still around, chances are I'm not the only one

#20 ShadowFire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 211 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 11:42 AM

PGI should at least let fans submit background stories for the hero mechs and then publish the best with their sales promotions. A win, win, bragging rights for the talented authors and extra depth/immersion for PGI and it's fan base.

Edited by ShadowFire, 09 July 2017 - 02:28 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users