• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 07:38 AM

make the map random!!!

make the game mode what you vote on.

I agree with this.

99% of the time it is grim plexus
after that maybe manifold (I like manifold though)
if lucky you get tourmaline
and if you are super extra lucky and save your votes you can single handedly get terra thema played.

map voting thing is THE WORST Addition to the game they ever did. Not only does it make it take longer to get to play, you get the same map over and over and over.

Edited by Bigbacon, 09 July 2017 - 07:40 AM.

#42 Requiemking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 09 July 2017 - 07:59 AM

Map and mode should both be random, with a score system that primarily caters to those who are actually trying to win the mode properly, i.e. the objective. Take Skirmish for example. The winning team in Skirmish would receive a base payout of roughly 150k CBills, with a further 50k on top of that for each kill the player scored. So, a player on the winning team who scored three kills would have a base payout of 300k CBills before bonuses.

#43 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 09 July 2017 - 08:21 AM

You reap what you saw. "Majority" wanted map voting, "majority" got map voting.
Deal with it.

#44 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 09 July 2017 - 09:01 AM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 08 July 2017 - 10:22 AM, said:

Time to go back to 100% random.

Or maybe...... doing better maps?

View PostBigbacon, on 09 July 2017 - 07:38 AM, said:

make the map random better!!!

make the game mode what you vote on.

I agree with this.

99% of the time it is grim plexus
after that maybe manifold (I like manifold though)
if lucky you get tourmaline

and then Canyon.

Oh, look.....
Maps in which ppl can actually have good vision.

#45 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 09 July 2017 - 09:06 AM

game has become stale and dull because of bad map rotation, this has been caused by the community endlessly whining about having to play on what they call bad maps.

What this really means is they are bad, if they can't have a cookie cutter map for their cookie cutter play style.

Only thing that P.G.I can be blamed for is putting in map voting for the sad people that cried loudest, like they always do.

#46 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 09 July 2017 - 09:13 AM

Too be honest most my fun come from the so called "bad" maps because they are differnet and allow me to approach them differently then already know what I'm walking into with no care in the world. Seriously Bog is my favorite map but it's so rare for me to see on Solo queue I get more frozen and crimson than bog and even if it comes up I luck out and everyone goes the most common map for nth time in a row.

The game stales extremely fast when everyone pick no challenge maps because theirs to much junk on the ground,or I'm too lazy use heat or night vision, or I can't manage my heat even tho we have 2 coolshots 18's or you can't alpha 3-4 times before cooling off.

#47 HIGH LORD KIT FAWKS THE WATCHFUL

• PipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 10:28 AM

There is a genuine reason I believe the QP meta would be influenced by a random map selection with random quadrants of the map being playable.

Generally speaking the same maps are picked time and again because those same maps are the most favorable to our current PPFLD meta. These high selection maps are generally-

A: Favorable in sightlines, provide ample visibility.

B: Generally are the "cooler" maps in temperature ranges compared to lower picks.

C: Have an easy to navigate layout, generally allowing players to focus on lining up shots vs. finding the optimal vantage.

D: Nearly all high pick maps have an area mainly designed to be one big arena. There are few/none that are designed in such a way as to mitigate the "Gather here and we form a firing line here" mentality.

A proposed solution could be that the best course of action would be to-

A: Randomize map selection

--This has the effect of nullifying player favoritism of cooler maps, which in turn may affect the current PPFLD meta by changing the way we approach our battles. Knowing that nine out of ten times my map selection will only rotate to "acceptable" maps that favor the current meta means that most players will build to match that.

B: Make use of the ample map sizes by designing new boundaries to quadrant off the maps, then randomize which one is used when that map is selected.

-- Sectioning the map into playable quadrants means that often overlooked, rarely used sections of maps will find themselves being used far more often. If we did a heatmap analysis of all maps currently in use, I guarantee that there are *very* few sections of these maps actually in major use.

-- Sectioning the map into quadrants adds even more of an unpredictable nature to what we will expect in a fight. Due to the fact we currently favor the "arena" areas of most maps, our current meta reflects exactly that. If players do not know the layout by heart with every drop, players will (assumingly) shift to manage this by changing both tactics and loadouts.

C: Show the map selection, and what area of the map the players would battle in and then allow players to vote on map mode.

--This directly allows the players to govern when and where the action will take place. Are the players attempting to hold a point? (KOTH). Are the players guiding a VIP?

This allows players to choose a game mode most favorable to their build, playstyle, and desires.

D: Increase the weighted value for accomplishing the objective during non-deathmatch game modes, so as to incentivize play.

--Self explanatory. If you are tired of everything boiling down to DM, then incentive is needed. Carrots usually work better than sticks.

---

There, now the idea is a bit more fleshed out. Any thoughts?

#48 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 10:30 AM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 09 July 2017 - 09:01 AM, said:

Or maybe...... doing better maps?

and then Canyon.

Oh, look.....
Maps in which ppl can actually have good vision.

a lot o fthe maps are fine to play but have environmental isses that people don't want to deal with...HEAT.

Most of the maps are HUGE and have lot of space and interesting areas to go fight but they always boil down to the same 10% being used. So the maps aren't so much the problem, the players are for never wanting to do anything but the same old junk.

#49 ShadowFire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 211 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 12:07 PM

Lets all face it. We should have at least three times the number of maps we have in game by now.... PGI dropped this ball at the start and does not seem inclined to play catch up.

But maybe I should be cutting PGI some slack. Maybe, just maybe, they learned their lesson and have their map makers building a large starter set of maps for the up coming game, MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries (MW5 Merc). One could hope.....

Edited by ShadowFire, 10 July 2017 - 05:43 PM.

#50 HIGH LORD KIT FAWKS THE WATCHFUL

• PipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 12:12 PM

Shadowfire-

Would the quadrants thing not be a stopgap solution to that very problem?

#51 r4plez

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 812 posts
  • LocationFoundry

Posted 09 July 2017 - 12:35 PM

map random
mode vote

+1

#52 Serial Number

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 208 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 01:10 PM

Just get OLD Forest Colony and OLD Frozen City to rotation and u can see these maps being voted over and over, just like it used to be earlier.

Noone enjoy playing big, crap maps such as alpine, new forest/frozen or polar.

#53 HIGH LORD KIT FAWKS THE WATCHFUL

• PipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 01:21 PM

I'm not getting this.... seriously again wouldn't just sectioning off current maps do exactly what you guys want?

#54 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 02:40 PM

People vote for the maps they want to play :shrug:. I'm sorry you have to be a snowflake.

#55 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 09 July 2017 - 03:01 PM

View PostBigbacon, on 09 July 2017 - 10:30 AM, said:

a lot o fthe maps are fine to play but have environmental isses that people don't want to deal with...HEAT.

Most of the maps are HUGE and have lot of space and interesting areas to go fight but they always boil down to the same 10% being used. So the maps aren't so much the problem, the players are for never wanting to do anything but the same old junk.

My first issue is visibility.

I really hate most maps because of silly fog. For instance they ruined Crimson, imo. Old one was good for visibility.

Also Terra, or Forest colony, I cannot see mechs at more than medium range.

Anyway, you are right: teams always do the same movements....... I note this above all in solo que. It's terrible.

Edited by Stefka Kerensky, 09 July 2017 - 03:06 PM.

#56 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 03:52 PM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 09 July 2017 - 03:01 PM, said:

My first issue is visibility.

I really hate most maps because of silly fog. For instance they ruined Crimson, imo. Old one was good for visibility.

Also Terra, or Forest colony, I cannot see mechs at more than medium range.

Anyway, you are right: teams always do the same movements....... I note this above all in solo que. It's terrible.

true the visibilty does stink.

I at least just run aorund the maps anymore, use the weird areas if I can although I'm usually just sniping with ERPPCs to watch players go in "IJustTookDamagePanic" mode.

#57 HIGH LORD KIT FAWKS THE WATCHFUL

• PipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 04:13 PM

I should build another gauss UM with JJ and stealth armor. Might be funny to see what I can get into.

Visibility is a terrible issue with a large portion of maps, but think, in normal warfighting situations there is rarely a time visibility is very....conducive.

#58 RangerGee412

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 308 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 07:32 PM

How about instead of having 4 maps to vote for with varYing temperatures, have all 4 maps have similar ambient temperature instead?

For example, Polar Highlands, Alpine peaks, frozen city, and Grim plexus get put together for a vote.

Then you could have Crimson, canyon, river city and mining collective.

Terra, caustic, viridian, and tormaline.

Hpg, can be thrown in with the cold maps to replace one randomly. Also any other maps I have forgotten to mention.

People will still be able to vote , but at least they will have to be mindful of varying temperatures instead of playing a majority of cold maps 90 Percent of the time.

#59 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 10 July 2017 - 12:51 AM

View PostGwahlur, on 08 July 2017 - 09:19 AM, said:

I'm soooooooooooooo booooooooooooooooored of playing Grim Plexus. Something has to be done about the map rotation.

Yeah.. I agree.. and here's what needs to be done:

1) ADD MORE MAPS! The old ones are getting stale..

2) Let us choose from more maps in the voting screen.. like 8 or even 12 map choice.. that would increase the randomness of the maps chosen.. or would at least clearly indicate which maps need adjusting and such..

3) Group similar maps together.. cold with cold, hot with hot, ranged with ranged and such.. cose' between polar, alpine and tourmaline, there is a good choice.. but between Terra therma, HPG, River city and Caustic Valley, HPG will always be a clear choice for most players..

#60 P10k56

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:20 AM

Why such hate for polar?
One of the better Maps with nicely done trench warfare.
For semi enjoyable play on Canyon on need mech with JJ.
I Really do not like Mining and Manifold.

19 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 19 guests, 0 anonymous users