Reinforced Spider

24 replies to this topic

#1 digital O-Q

• PipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:02 AM

I have seen differing thoughts as to adding skill points to structural strength on lights, what is the current thinking I have very little use for adding weapon range as I run a 4 mg spider with an erll . . . thoughts welcome

#2 Shifty McSwift

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:12 AM

View Postdigital O-Q, on 11 July 2017 - 02:02 AM, said:

I have seen differing thoughts as to adding skill points to structural strength on lights, what is the current thinking I have very little use for adding weapon range as I run a 4 mg spider with an erll . . . thoughts welcome

Mine is only one of those many varying opinions you mention, but my beliefs come down to the faster and smaller you are the tougher you are naturally, any kind of structure or armor increase there (on the smallest and fastest mechs) will increase your survivablility chances as much as the percentages will do for larger targets, you will still be getting hit at a lower percentage (EXCEPT vs weapons and situation in which you take full percentages of damage, which are the same for all sizes, but which have less effect with more armor, that is where the assault numbers bonues in particular shines, but that only incorporates a percentage of weapons and scenarios, not all).

So yeah, if you have all you need out of mobility in your lights skill tree, structure will be noticeably effective to your survivability, even for a spider. Just don't go assuming because you took structure perks you can suddenly relax on your "tanking", which for a light is nonstop moving and twisting etc.

Edited by Shifty McSwift, 11 July 2017 - 02:15 AM.

#3 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:27 AM

TBH unless you're in a "medium with insufficient tonnage" like the Adder, I don't really think the defense tree is worth it for lights. A lot of points for almost no armor.

Pretty sure I'm objectively in the wrong though for what I'd allocate those points to instead, since I'd go JJ skills before durability on a Spider myself.

Also, every time the Spider is mentioned, I just think of the Stalking Spider. Damn you Juodas..

#4 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:34 AM

View PostRestosIII, on 11 July 2017 - 02:27 AM, said:

TBH unless you're in a "medium with insufficient tonnage" like the Adder, I don't really think the defense tree is worth it for lights. A lot of points for almost no armor.

Urbie says otherwise, it already has a medium-esque armor amount. Imagine armor skills with it. :0

#5 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:36 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 11 July 2017 - 02:34 AM, said:

Urbie says otherwise, it already has a medium-esque armor amount. Imagine armor skills with it. :0

The urbie is in the same tier as the Adder, so yes, armor skills are a thing I'd use on it.

#6 ocular tb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 542 posts
  • LocationCaught Somewhere in Time

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:54 AM

On my Spider I use 12 survival nodes currently. Are they needed on the Spider? Not sure since they're pretty agile with good hit boxes and can be hard to hit . If you're not intending to use the firepower or jump jet trees I say go for it since you're not really sacrificing any real meaningful improvements and there really isn't much else to spend the points on. Of course your experience may vary. Good luck!

Edited by ocular tb, 11 July 2017 - 02:56 AM.

#7 Alexander of Macedon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 05:48 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 11 July 2017 - 02:34 AM, said:

Can confirm, they're stupidly good with full survival tree.

#8 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,076 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:26 AM

Comparing fire power to survival on my lights survival is normally the better option. Only the slowest of my lights at 97kph go for firepower over survival. In general I go for full mobility first on lights then a mix of fire power vs survival on how I think i want to play the light.

All survival and mobility with a standard engine on a spider is just making a mini medium and lots of fun. I had a panther get accused of being hacked by a pug when it didn't die with side torso loss.

I went full jump jets on the 5v. While it isn't able to jump and uppercut superman out of orbit it comes pretty close. http://SDR-5V spidurman

#9 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:42 AM

personally i think lights are too tough already as compared to MW4. Add in unlimited respawn, reduce lights survivability and firepower, add in a game mode like Team Battle in MW4 where there is a multiplier in match score for tonnage, where the multiplier is greater the less tonnage a mech has.

#10 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:48 AM

View PostCoolant, on 11 July 2017 - 09:42 AM, said:

personally i think lights are too tough already as compared to MW4. Add in unlimited respawn, reduce lights survivability and firepower, add in a game mode like Team Battle in MW4 where there is a multiplier in match score for tonnage, where the multiplier is greater the less tonnage a mech has.

Once again Coolant, MWO is not MW4. MWO is supposed to be balanced so that all mechs at all weightclasses have a roughly equal chance of success. Right now, Lights are severely disadvantaged compared to the other weightclasses, so they need to be brought up to par, regardless of how they performed in other games.

#11 HIGH LORD KIT FAWKS THE WATCHFUL

• PipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:01 AM

SSHHHHHHH. DONT SAY UM IS GOOD IN ANY WAY PLEASE.

I can sense the nerf hammer for no godawful reason...

Last thing I need to see in the changelog is UM losing access to any engine above STD60 and all its armor removed for the sake of balance..

Edited by THE GOD KING URBIE LORD OF MECHS, 11 July 2017 - 10:03 AM.

#12 BaconTWOfourACTUAL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:05 AM

View PostCoolant, on 11 July 2017 - 09:42 AM, said:

personally i think lights are too tough already as compared to MW4.

They should be more common. As it takes less resources to field a light mech than a Heavy or an Assault. But in reality, you can't tell me that Lights are too tough, when an alpha strike from anything larger than 70 tons can pretty much end your match right then and there.
Are they tough because they're hard to hit? Are you aiming in the wrong spot?

View PostRequiemking, on 11 July 2017 - 09:48 AM, said:

Once again Coolant, MWO is not MW4. MWO is supposed to be balanced so that all mechs at all weightclasses have a roughly equal chance of success. Right now, Lights are severely disadvantaged compared to the other weightclasses, so they need to be brought up to par, regardless of how they performed in other games.

Although I would argue, I will take a good light pilot, over a mediocre assault pilot any day of the week. What we lack in tonnage we more than make up for with insanity.

#13 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:25 AM

Speed is armor for light mechs, so seems pretty pointless to me to waste your SP on armor skills

#14 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:33 AM

Yes, but an extra 6 points of armor on each leg makes that speed last several hits longer...

#15 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:44 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 11 July 2017 - 10:33 AM, said:

Yes, but an extra 6 points of armor on each leg makes that speed last several hits longer...

6... meh

#16 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,076 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:08 AM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 11 July 2017 - 10:44 AM, said:

6... meh

About that meh 6. Give it to a good light pilot and this can happen, kind of funny when a 20 ton mech can do as much damage as three assault mechs:

Posted Image

#17 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:10 AM

Played the 5D a lot last night and i wouldnt spend a single points on armor or structure. Better chances to avoid damage is greater than taking one extra hit before dying.

Edited by DAYLEET, 11 July 2017 - 11:11 AM.

#18 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:14 AM

View PostJediPanther, on 11 July 2017 - 11:08 AM, said:

About that meh 6. Give it to a good light pilot and this can happen, kind of funny when a 20 ton mech can do as much damage as three assault mechs:

Yep. Locust pilots in the 800 club REALLY benefit from 6 more leg armor. Nice job.

#19 BaconTWOfourACTUAL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:17 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 11 July 2017 - 11:14 AM, said:

Yep. Locust pilots in the 800 club REALLY benefit from 6 more leg armor. Nice job.

Yeah I would be a member of the 1200 club if I had 6 extra leg armor.

#20 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,076 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:19 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 11 July 2017 - 11:14 AM, said:

Thanks. Where is your screen shot of entry into it? I want to know what locust you use and build.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users