Portal Wants To Reinstall The Game All Over Again

9 replies to this topic

#1 Mekwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

Posted 09 July 2017 - 10:31 PM

I have mwo online installed and it kept prompting that I had to use the portal soon etc.

So I installed the portal which seems to be just a screen with some hyperlinks that open up the web browser.

At the bottom right there is an option to install (but I don't want to install the whole game again since it's already installed). There seems to be no way to set a directory that the game is installed in.

I even went through the trouble of installing the portal within the piranha games directory next to the Mechwarrior Online directory but it still doesn't find it.

Have I done something that no one else has somehow or do you really have to reinstall the entire game just to use this "portal"?

#2 l33tworks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 10 July 2017 - 04:33 AM

Hmm thats no good. You can try STARTING the new download to the new place, then when its already started. Stop it. Then copy paste your old installation onto the new one. It should find it and only update whats new. At least thats what the current patcher does.

Have no idea why they switched patchers?. What a pain. Just keep using the current one. They may not stop it for along while. Ive seen companies do that as they may loose a lot of people if they switch to the new one.

The current one was good IMO never had a problem with it.

#3 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 05:09 AM

What I did.

1 - Uninstall any MWO already installed.
2 - Install Portal. It did allow me to decide where yo put it on my HD.
3 - Be advised you do not have to join PTS when it is on but if you try, it WILL do a whole new install for that and that takes time too.

#4 Magnus Santini

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 708 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 11:58 AM

Portal says that, huh? Posted Image
https://www.bing.com...x=16&ajaxhist=0

Edited by Magnus Santini, 10 July 2017 - 11:59 AM.

#5 Chagatay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 964 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 12:37 PM

View PostMekwarrior, on 09 July 2017 - 10:31 PM, said:

I have mwo online installed and it kept prompting that I had to use the portal soon etc.

So I installed the portal which seems to be just a screen with some hyperlinks that open up the web browser.

At the bottom right there is an option to install (but I don't want to install the whole game again since it's already installed). There seems to be no way to set a directory that the game is installed in.

I even went through the trouble of installing the portal within the piranha games directory next to the Mechwarrior Online directory but it still doesn't find it.

Have I done something that no one else has somehow or do you really have to reinstall the entire game just to use this "portal"?

Run portal as administrator or reinstall (probably better but that takes time)

#6 Jackal Noble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 10 July 2017 - 12:58 PM

View PostMekwarrior, on 09 July 2017 - 10:31 PM, said:

Do you have Steam?
If not then install Steam, and then install MWO through that. Steam will install MWO right where it needs to be for you to use it. Far less difficult and user friendly. Updates are also less fussy.
I would do that before you go any further and save yourself any more trouble.

Edited by JackalBeast, 10 July 2017 - 12:58 PM.

#7 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 03:28 PM

The portal checks the registry for the location of the game. Check that entry and correct if wrong.

If you don't have them, maybe hit install then and choose whatrever directory, let it run for few minutes or so, then stop and check if it created them. If it did correct them to point to your current install.

https://mwomercs.com...installed-game/

#8 ShadowFire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 211 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 06:00 PM

What exactly is the official default installation path of the folder for the portal? It has changed at least once over the years.

#9 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,680 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 10 July 2017 - 06:57 PM

View PostShadowFire, on 10 July 2017 - 06:00 PM, said:

What exactly is the official default installation path of the folder for the portal? It has changed at least once over the years.

This is the current default path. I listed it like that is because that is the path shows up on both the Portal and Mechwarrior Online installers. Notice it does not show the user the ACTUAL folder name each program will actually use, that is appended during the actual install and is always the same, Mechwarrior Online and MWO Portal.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games

But some players may have added another folder name AFTER Piranha Games, like below. Once they do that then the actual gaming folder would like the 2nd line...

C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MWO , where the player adds MWO, thinking they need to name the actual gaming folder.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MWO\MechWarrior Online\ , then installer adds \Mechwarrior Online after the \MWO

There is likely some other variables but the only time I can replicate the installer wanting to install a full MWO is when I do not point it to the folder right before \Mechwarrior Online

Without more input from PGI on what the installer looks for, provided the installer is pointed to the correct directory....

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 10 July 2017 - 07:01 PM.

#10 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 05:21 AM

View PostJackalBeast, on 10 July 2017 - 12:58 PM, said:

Do you have Steam?
If not then install Steam, and then install MWO through that. Steam will install MWO right where it needs to be for you to use it. Far less difficult and user friendly. Updates are also less fussy.
I would do that before you go any further and save yourself any more trouble.

Problems with Steam (yeah I tried it)
1 - It slows MWO down a bit,
2 - It does not allow access to PTS, Portal does.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users