Good Times! Thanks, Ya'll

28 replies to this topic

#1 Mister Glitchdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 431 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 12:05 PM

Hey everyone!

I've graduated with my masters and now I've got an opportunity to move to a remote locale for a year in order to pursue a life's ambition: writing a novel (Don't laugh! I'm not crapping all over your dreams, am I?). My new home is beautiful, with few distractions except gorgeous mountain vistas.

There's no internet, which means no MW:O. I was going to say "Unfortunately," but the truth is I think it's for the better; I can't tell you how many hours I've spent blasting and getting blasted by you all when I should have been doing other, more productive things. I've also spent way too much time in these forums, agreeing and arguing with abandon.

Don't get me wrong. I've had so much fun and I have no regrets about the time I've spent here. I think of online gaming communities much the way our parents think of bowling leagues and bridge clubs (Or at least my parents. Don't judge; they're old.). I've met, learned from, and fought alongside a lot of good people on these servers, and I've had my share of epic wins and heartbreaking close losses.

One of my favorite memories was being the last guy left on a solo QP team and securing the last 3 kills for the win. My best all-time damage was north of 1400, and my best match score was north of 800. I ran my MAD IIC-D almost exclusively, and rarely wanted for another mech. It's a great feeling to find the mech you call home. For the record, I was still rocking it post-nerf and intend to rock it when I return (see below). It's a little more sluggish, now, so maybe my only complaint is that 340 engine cap on the "D" variant. If I can't twist and brake anymore, at least let me build to boogie at top speed!

This is not to say I don't have some regrets. Chief among them, I never got my "Ace of Spades" tag. Hats off to everyone whose done it in solo QP. The closest I ever came was six kills. I never joined a unit and dropped into FP, either. The time was never right and frankly the longer I watched FP evolve the more it felt like not my cup of tea. Guess I was always just a pug at heart. While I've maintained a positive W/L and KDR, I never got my avg. match score >300, although I was on track and getting better every season. I didn't make T1, just T2, but it was a real joy to get high enough in tier to drop with some of the really good solos in the community and watch them get down.

So I just wanted to say so long and thanks to PGI for creating this gaming environment. While no one can deny that you've dropped the ball and missed opportunities more than once, it is a testament to the good fundamentals of this game that I and others keep playing, no matter how much we disagree with your decisions, sometimes.

Most of all so long and thanks to my fellow players of the game and forum-warriors here. You are the main draw, the real reason I keep coming back. I'll check out MW:5, but honestly I think zapping AIs is weak sauce. You figure out the patterns, the build combinations, and you keep running at the enemy until its automatic. Put me up against human minds whose strategies, tactics, and abilities grow and evolve in opposition to my own, often in frustratingly unpredictable ways. You all rock!

Finally, this is not goodbye forever. I can't see going without internet for the rest of my days, so when I come down from my mountain, manuscript in hand, I'll be back. While I'll miss you and the game, other consolations beyond no distractions are that by the time I get back, all the new mechs I want now will be available for space-bucks, and (hopefully) the balance shjtstorm to come when all that civ-gear drops will have run its course.

So no, you can't have my stuff.

All the best,
Mister Glitchdragon

TLDR: OH MY GOD, IT'S ONLY EIGHT PARAGRAPHS! READ IT, YOU IGNORANT, LAZY ******* ! (Sorry, I've always wanted to do that!)

Edited by Mister Glitchdragon, 10 July 2017 - 06:30 PM.

#2 Clown Stomp

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 12:09 PM

Does your novel have a title yet?

#3 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 10 July 2017 - 12:11 PM

Be sure to grab the new Battletech game being made by HBS if you can, if you're in the beta, try to come by and grab the full version when you get to leave the area you're in for a bit.

Aside from that, I hope to hear some novels you write amigo. Always good to hear people advancing further in life.

<o. We will still be here... even if we do complain alot ahaha :P

#4 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 10 July 2017 - 12:12 PM

People with lives FULL of distractions write novels. You don't need to move to the middle of nowhere to get it done. Hell, thousands of people participate in (and complete) National Novel Writing Month (http://nanowrimo.org/) every year, and many of them while pursuing careers, raising children, etc.

#5 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 12:16 PM

Best of luck to you!

With any luck PGI will keep the light on for you. And your stuff will be waiting.

#6 Mister Glitchdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 431 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 12:29 PM

View PostClown Stomp, on 10 July 2017 - 12:09 PM, said:

No, just an outline based on a short story I wrote last year which I intend to expand on. I'm going to finish it and see what jumps out as a good title.

View PostEscef, on 10 July 2017 - 12:12 PM, said:

People with lives FULL of distractions write novels. You don't need to move to the middle of nowhere to get it done. Hell, thousands of people participate in (and complete) National Novel Writing Month (http://nanowrimo.org/) every year, and many of them while pursuing careers, raising children, etc.

I know, and I've got all kinds of respect for them. I've tried it that way, and never quite made it happen. (Nanowrimo authors are amazing. Again, much respect). Opportunities like this one don't come along often for people like me; if I don't jump on it I'll regret it for the rest of my life.

Besides, you just want me to stay so there'll be one more potato in the queues for you to fry! Posted Image

#7 jonfett

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 355 posts
  • LocationSitting on a NaCl mountain in a place called Puglandia

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:00 PM

Here's hoping your new novel is for Battletech. Posted Image

#8 Cy Mitchell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:04 PM

Best of Luck to you. Follow your dreams!

#9 Mister Glitchdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 431 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 03:09 PM

View Postjonfett, on 10 July 2017 - 02:00 PM, said:

Here's hoping your new novel is for Battletech. Posted Image

It's not, but I'm also working on a short story specifically about MW:O...

#10 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 10 July 2017 - 06:46 PM

GL HF.

#11 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:34 PM

Best of luck mate.

You've made me think about how long i'd last with no internet before I hit rock bottom. I could see myself lasting a week before I started paying homeless people to do mock youtube videos before breaking down in tears.

#12 Mister Glitchdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 431 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 11:46 PM

View PostKiiyor, on 10 July 2017 - 09:34 PM, said:

Best of luck mate.

You've made me think about how long i'd last with no internet before I hit rock bottom. I could see myself lasting a week before I started paying homeless people to do mock youtube videos before breaking down in tears.

There's an internet cafe in town, so I'll be able to get a routine surf-fix a few times a month, at least until I get socked in for the winter. That's when the withdrawals will really start to kick.

#13 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:27 AM

View PostMister Glitchdragon, on 10 July 2017 - 11:46 PM, said:

There's an internet cafe in town, so I'll be able to get a routine surf-fix a few times a month, at least until I get socked in for the winter. That's when the withdrawals will really start to kick.

Decent phone network? You can sometimes get surprisingly good ping tethering, if your data plans aren't too prohibitive.

#14 Mister Glitchdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 431 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 05:11 AM

View PostKiiyor, on 11 July 2017 - 02:27 AM, said:

Decent phone network? You can sometimes get surprisingly good ping tethering, if your data plans aren't too prohibitive.

No land-line, I'm not sure what the local cell tower will handle beyond giving me a steady signal, but my plan won't afford me that kind of party.

#15 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:21 AM

View PostClown Stomp, on 10 July 2017 - 12:09 PM, said:

Yes. Evidently it's called "Good Times! Thanks Y'all"

(Kidding...I actually can read more than 2 paragraphs at a go, unlike many of the attention deficit disorder sufferers here)

Edited by TLBFestus, 11 July 2017 - 08:23 AM.

#16 Admiral-Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 578 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:01 AM

Good Luck Have Fun

#17 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,971 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:28 AM

wow no PHD
best whishes
and good luck

#18 Mister Glitchdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 431 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:09 PM

View PostDavegt27, on 11 July 2017 - 11:28 AM, said:

wow no PHD

Funny you should say. That very well may be the next step after my year in the mountains. "Doctor Glitchdragon" has a nice ring to it...

#19 Ryllen Kriel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 754 posts
  • LocationBetween the last bottle and the next.

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:23 PM

View PostMister Glitchdragon, on 10 July 2017 - 12:05 PM, said:

Hey everyone!

TLDR: OH MY GOD, IT'S ONLY EIGHT PARAGRAPHS! READ IT, YOU IGNORANT, LAZY ******* ! (Sorry, I've always wanted to do that!)

I was beginning to think you were writing your novel already on these forums.

Just kidding, congrats and good luck with the book.

#20 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:42 PM

Good luck to you sir and write on into the sunset of everlasting stories made by the mighty thought of mind.
Do hope you do some Battletech stories.

Maybe this nice work by George Ledoux can be of some inspiration Posted Image

Edited by Tordin, 11 July 2017 - 02:43 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users