13 replies to this topic

#1 Arugela

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 419 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 05:19 AM

DWF-SSS! https://tarogato-mwo...4c-d996636eef4e

76 alpha and PPC Gauss! >< Infinite fire on the PPC. Heat skills may need to be tweaked and optimized to get more sensor skills if desired. That or it may need JJ skills... Ideally you want Enough JJ to shoot and target decay to get in LRM and UAC2 shots to kill structure after using PPC Gauss to core.

Maybe this should be done on a different direwolf... NVM, this is aweful. I need some sleep. ><

Here is a better version!!

DWF-SSS2.0!

Idea is to Jump snipe then splatter with LRM's on the way down!! >L<

Here is a purely long ranged version! DWS-SS3.0

Use heat skill from weapon and operation tree to get sufficient heat.

Jump up. Hold down alpha on the target. let go/tap when LRM have fired and Gauss ready. Fire within Tag range!

Edited by Arugela, 02 June 2017 - 04:05 PM.

#2 radiv

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 121 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 02:24 AM

Oh yes the new and improved version with 6 tons of gauss ammo for one gauss, but it still har room for the non artemis lrm20.

#3 Brizna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,361 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 02 June 2017 - 02:49 AM

I am sorry man but that build is very bad.

The spls do not qualify as sniping weapons at all, the LRMs are scattered damage (much of it actually around the enemy mech on the floor) not pin point, so your long range pin point damage is: 15 (gauss) + 10 (ERPPC) = 25, which nowadays is very low.

In DWF you can place 2 gauss and 2 ERPPCs very easily which would net you a total pin point long range alpha of 50 more than doubling its EFFECTIVE DEADLINESS.

That said there are better platforms than DWF for that: Kodiak and MAD IIC are both excellent and much better than DWF each in its own way.

* ERPPC: Do not do 15 dmg, they deal 10 on the location they hit and up to 5 spread in up to two locations adjacent to where it hits.

#4 Arugela

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 419 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 03:23 PM

You can't do dual PPC Gauss because of ammo limits if you want to add LRM to the cycle drop... It's designed to snipe and then fire a few LRM volleys afterwords. Basically enhanced sniping. It has to use less weapons for that.

The best you can do is Gauss+2xPPC. This is from the limitation of fibro and endo and the need to have S part in ST for jump jets. Even on a kodiak-2 it's limited to 2ppc+1Gauss. And that is not a very good fit.

The other weapons are not for sniping. they are for in you get enemies in close or you fire while charging at them enemy as a lower heat finishing combo.

I was also using only S parts to fill it out and see what I could get without changing omnis.

The LRM 20 is so you get a better chance at getting more damage in while falling back behind a hill from JJing before lock is lost.

Jump up. Hold down alpha on the target. let go/tap when LRM have fired and Gauss ready. Fire within Tag range!

Edited by Arugela, 02 June 2017 - 04:05 PM.

#5 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 03:38 PM

Ha ha ha ha, thank you sir you've brightened my day

#6 Brizna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,361 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 02 June 2017 - 03:56 PM

I am pretty sure you are pulling my leg but just in case http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5e6c47776121f0d

#7 Arugela

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 419 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 04:06 PM

I know you can do Dual Guass/PPC. I mean you can't do it combined with LRM fire.

Is tag extended by the range skills in the weapon tree?

As for the 2.0 version. If you are in range of the tag to use it properly, you are close enough for enemies to fairly quickly get in range of you SPL/machine guns. It's not meant to be super long range. It's meant to be used in the 700meters of tag. The 2.0 version gives you some low heat backup and structure criting abilities.

Edited by Arugela, 02 June 2017 - 04:29 PM.

#8 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 04:28 PM

Wid Dual ppc , Dual gauss build the target will be dead before your LRM's land
so Lrm's are a waste
Posted Image

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 02 June 2017 - 04:29 PM.

#9 Arugela

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 419 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 04:32 PM

It's supposed to land after or near the time you fire the gauss. It's meant to potentially hit structure for crit chances once the armor is gone. You fire and then use the JJ's falling to keep target long enough for them to hit as you fall out of LOS. It should be just enough to get shots in within Tag range. Tag speeding up target acquisition for JJ tactics. You might need to spec JJ skill in the skill tree though. Heat from Weapon/Operation and JJ skills. JJing with tag should remove the problem with lockon times. It should act like a JJ support mech. It can get over allies to fire up to tags max range. Just use nose wiggling tanking methods in the air or otherwise if fired up.

If you are always using LRM and tag for a charge you also always have your enemy marked for allies to see. so it might be good for leading a group. And potentially for more intereting combined long range groups. That is where the side weapons are useful potentially.

If it's not sniping in a pinpoint manner it is opening the CT and ST up for your allies and softening for and with combined fire.

Edited by Arugela, 02 June 2017 - 04:49 PM.

#10 Hanks 427

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 36 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 04 June 2017 - 04:57 AM

It's a bad build. End of story. Have you actually tried any of the DWF builds you are posting? I think not.

#11 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:24 PM

View PostBrizna, on 02 June 2017 - 03:56 PM, said:

I am pretty sure you are pulling my leg but just in case http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5e6c47776121f0d

This is roughtly what I have been running lately. I like it.

5 tons of gauss ammo, 10/10 heatsinks. I also have all the 3 JJ pods but they can be used to jump into higher ground on maps like canyon, too little for jump sniping really. Less leg armor but more arm armor, and very much less head armor. And obviously much more front armor.

I think Dire needs at least two JJ to be useful, one is only enough to jump over small rocks, so either 2 or 3, or none.

I also consided the 4 ballistic torsos for MGs but it seemed too difficult keywise, as I have ordinary mouse. Come to think of it, I could switch one JJ into AMS and maybe half ton gauss ammo less for one extra heatsink.

#12 SirSoggyDog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 121 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 05:30 PM

To be honest, I'm going to cut against the grain and say that the best setup for sniping isn't dual Gauss dual ERPPCs (henceforth referred to the meta in this post), but rather six UAC/2s with a macro. Here's my reasoning:
  • Hex UAC/2s can put up over 35 damage per second, meaning in 1.5 seconds they deal more damage than the meta. Many, if not most, firing opportunities last longer than this time, which allows the UACs to do more damage than their meta counterparts.
  • UAC/2s actually have a significantly greater max range than a GR (1620 max vs 1320 max).
  • Coupled with a large targeting computer, UAC/2s travel faster than 2900 m/s, equal to a GR and far faster than a ERPPC, which makes hitting targets at a distance a far easier act.
  • Crucially, in a hex UAC setup, all your weapons have the same travel velocity, which means, unlike the meta, you do not need to readjust target lead to hit with two separate weapons systems.
  • The rapid refire rate of the UACs means one missed shot is of little consequence; by contrast, a meta sniper must wait over four seconds before it can deliver another alpha, more than enough time for the enemy to take cover or return fire.
  • Hex UAC/2s are 6 tons lighter than the meta setup, allowing for more ammo, armor, heatsinks, or other weapons.
  • And finally, UAC/2s fired "machine-gun style" with a macro will produce so much smoke and screenshake that it can make it extremely difficult for a target to return accurate fire at long range.
If you want to try it out, here's a build similar to mine DWF-S and here's the macro program https://mwomercs.com...-30th-jan-2017/

#13 ShooterMcGavin80

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 146 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 01:18 PM

View PostSirSoggyDog, on 08 July 2017 - 05:30 PM, said:

If you want to try it out, here's a build similar to mine DWF-S and here's the macro program https://mwomercs.com...-30th-jan-2017/

That looks interesting as heck. Actually running full bore with a TC7? wow. And have you tried going with standard AC2's to reduce the creep loss of firepower due to jamming, or is it ultimately better to stick with the ultra's?

On quickplay I've seen 6xLB2X Dire Wolfs that were also pretty mean.

My contribution (5xAC5 Mauler doesn't have nuthin' on this one!): 6xUAC5 DWF-B

and a franken beast mixed dakka: 4xUAC2, 4xLB2X Ultraviolet insanity

Edited by ShooterMcGavin80, 09 July 2017 - 01:32 PM.

#14 SirSoggyDog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 121 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 06:10 PM

View PostShooterMcGavin80, on 09 July 2017 - 01:18 PM, said:

That looks interesting as heck. Actually running full bore with a TC7? wow. And have you tried going with standard AC2's to reduce the creep loss of firepower due to jamming, or is it ultimately better to stick with the ultra's?

On quickplay I've seen 6xLB2X Dire Wolfs that were also pretty mean.

The TC7 is primarily there to help facilitate those long range shots. It's entirely reasonable to dump it for other weapons (8xERML?) and their needed heatsinks, but I think there's plenty to vouch for on the TC if your looking at a mech built from the ground up for long range combat. I have thought about dumping two of the UAC2s and the TC for 2xGR+3xUAC/2 though; although that's another build for another time.

As for other AC2 caliber weapons:
  • LB2Xs, while terrifying at point blank vs open targets, LBXs spread a little to much to be an effective long range weapon, plus the raw damage output is lower than UACs.
  • Standard AC/2s, while more reliable, lack the ability to deal as severe damage in a short window of time. Additonally, jams are not as problematic for a long range mech, as you can take the time for them to clear in relative safety. The UAC build is going to be far more dangerous on average, but sometimes the dice just dosen't favor you. You may pump 300 damage before your guns silence, or you may pump 30, but at least the latter isn't a death sentence here like it is with other UAC dependent mechs.
UAC/5s are nice, but have trouble with ghost heat, and lack the range and velocity of AC/2s. They can be fun for mulching a mech before he gets a sensor reading, but they aren't as good for range. I do love this setup, but it does serve a different role.

And for those of you who thinks this setup is for useless, selfish snipers I do want to assure you of a few things:

1) This setup can put out 600+ damage with ease, a healthy portion of that before the main engagement.

2) This setup has worked with quite a bit of success against the much trumpeted PPFLD meta

3) This is a DIREWOLF people WILL SHOOT AT IT. They will be compelled; it's 100 tons of fire belching behemoth shaking their screen and making noises not so different than a washing machine full of ball bearings. Whether or not the shooter is at 100m or a 1000m makes little difference, save the damage being done to the DWF.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users