Does Limb Loss Equal Automatic Gauss Explosion?

9 replies to this topic

#1 Registerfault

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 01:39 PM

I have been screwing around with my gauss urbanmech for a while now, and I have noticed that I have not survived a single loss of my ballistic arm the entire time I have played it.

I know gauss rifles are really fragile, and that the gauss rifle has a 90% chance of exploding when crit, but I would imagine that the average 40-something chance of doing crit damage most weapons have would mean that I would have a non-trivial chance be able to lose my arm without a crit having been done to the weapon.

with survival quirks, the urbanmech's arm has 14 internal structure and the right torso has 19 internal structure, so a gauss rifle explosion via crit (20 damage) should have a decent chance of close survival since I would just need 2 structure left on my right arm to skate by with 1 internal structure on my right torso.

what seems to be happening instead is that I lose my right arm due to laser/ppc/missile/etc fire (i.e. not just machine gun / lbx fire) and the gauss explosion gets registered in full onto my right torso, killing me every time, and is doing so as an automatic crit destruction regardless of if the weapon was actually crit.

Is this a bug, intended behavior, or is the info that I am seeing outdated with regards to the damage gauss rifles do in explosion?

Edited by Registerfault, 12 July 2017 - 01:40 PM.

#2 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 02:15 PM

If your Clans then yes because for some reason the advance technology of the Clans means that if someone sneezes wrong, your Gauss Rifle blows up.

#3 Registerfault

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 02:40 PM

1) this is inner sphere

2) I just did a series of tests on this, and 5 out of 5 matches i had a friend shoot me in the right arm, and the right arm being lost is definitely triggering the explosion 100% of the time, and then applying it to an arm that has 0 structure and distributing the 20 points to the right torso, which also gets destroyed due to its 19 internal structure, and then the center torso goes yellow, which tells me that the last point of damage is being applied to the center torso. this clearly means that the gauss rifle isn't exploding and then killing the arm, but the arm gets blown off, and then the gauss rifle explodes, distributing to the rest of the mech.

#4 BlueFlames

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • 327 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 02:46 PM

IS Gauss explosion chance is somewhere in the neighborhood of 90% So much more durable!

#5 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 02:51 PM

View PostBlueFlames, on 12 July 2017 - 02:46 PM, said:

IS Gauss explosion chance is somewhere in the neighborhood of 90% So much more durable!

Hey 90% is much better than 100% no matter how you look at it. Honestly both are kind of crazy because I am pretty sure that in live ammo doesn't have this high of a chance exploding and unlike ammo, you can't protect your mech by adding in CASE.

#6 Registerfault

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 02:55 PM

my question in this matter though is that is a gauss rifle supposed to automatically explode when losing the arm, regardless of if a crit occurred?

#7 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 12 July 2017 - 02:57 PM

View PostViktor Drake, on 12 July 2017 - 02:15 PM, said:

If your Clans then yes because for some reason the advance technology of the Clans means that if someone sneezes wrong, your Gauss Rifle blows up.

Thats because every part of them is covered in case when IS can't even put one in the arm.

#8 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 02:57 PM

my question in this matter though is that is a gauss rifle supposed to automatically explode when losing the arm, regardless of if a crit occurred?

it shouldnt

because if the arm is severed clean off, why would the gauss be damaged?

i mean in every other mechwarrior/battletech game if you shoot an arm off with a uncritted gauss rifle in it you get the gauss as salvage. the gauss doesnt suddenly get critted and explode just because the arm was shot off.

Edited by Khobai, 12 July 2017 - 02:59 PM.

#9 SPencil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 763 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 July 2017 - 03:02 PM

View PostRegisterfault, on 12 July 2017 - 02:55 PM, said:

Preface: I've never once ran gauss.

It seems like crits don't matter, what matters is whether the weapon was destroyed. When a component is destroyed, everything in that component is destroyed as well, meaning gauss gets to roll the 90% chance of going boom. However we feel like it should work in terms of lore and salvage, this is how it appears to function.

#10 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 12 July 2017 - 03:05 PM

90% of the time, yes

Ammo explosions suffer full damage, and no damage transfer

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users