Proposed Mechanics For Balancing Strikes, Arty, And Uavs.

24 replies to this topic

#21 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:20 PM

View PostScrubLord1, on 13 July 2017 - 08:24 AM, said:

The real balance needed is to limit consumables to one.

View PostKhobai, on 13 July 2017 - 11:28 AM, said:

We know how to balance strikes. Because they were balanced before. Limit them to 1 per mech.

View PostEl Bandito, on 12 July 2017 - 06:16 PM, said:

Cap strikes at one per mech. Done.

No, no, and no!

#22 Requiemking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:49 PM

View PostZergling, on 13 July 2017 - 02:19 AM, said:

Or make them an item that costs tonnage and slots, instead of cbills.

You know, tying them to TAG would achieve this as well....

#23 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 05:13 PM

No, no, and no!

yes. 1 strike limit per mech.

strikespam is re tarded. period.

#24 Shifty McSwift

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:43 PM

View PostKhobai, on 14 July 2017 - 05:13 PM, said:

yes. 1 strike limit per mech.

strikespam is re tarded. period.

It's only crappy in its current form, Like I have said over many topics, the idea of area control is GREAT here in MWO, I would argue somewhat needed, but these weapons aren't being used for area control, they are just being used for "free" (40kcbill cost, free as in at no cost of heat or life) extra damage, or as an AOE weapon rather than area control.

$40k per shot IMO is waaaaaaay to expensive for what area control is supposed to be, which is a big scary stick that enemies move away from or get hit by, but if they were obvious enough their damage could be much higher then what it is now too I suppose.

The way they are being used, may be fun, it may be a cool weapon type in itself, and it may deserve praise in usage in some ways, but, it is not being used as area control at all really, perhaps sometimes on accident, but mostly just as extra damage, which in that case, it might as well just be another weapon.

#25 VorpalMechBunny

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:28 AM

I am totally fine with instant or at least very fast UAV deployment. It doesn't seem super OP and fits well with the idea of scouting. Air/arti strikes on the other hand are complete garbage since the skill tree release, and are honestly just a lame mechanic all around. I'm in the game to get in shooting battles with other mechs, not be bombed out of existence by point-and-click before that can even happen.

If the purpose of a strike is to disrupt overly defensive turtle formations that designers feel can otherwise have too much advantage and slow gameplay to a halt, that is fine. If so though that could be done with much less concentrated damage. Since the the release of the skill tree I have several times had an enemy spend their airstrike on my *isolated* mech because they know if can do so much damage tightly now, and also in small mechs I've take as much as 30% from one airstrike, fully stripped CT armor. I've also seen an uptick of strikes being used later on amidst battles in an attempt to finish off damaged mechs. None of that has anything to do with group/turtle dispersal.
This is especially annoying in domination games when if you are doing right by your team you have to rush into the center and try to hide for a bit while they catch up. On certain maps like the overly-utilized Grim Plexus you often have a pretty tight space to take cover behind.

Based on the quick match play where I have primarily been, I'd honestly prefer if strikes were gone altogether, but if the need to break formations is there, fix the current imbalance with a mix of caps, cooldowns, and appropriate amount/dispersal of damage to achieve that goal and nothing else.

Also, I am 100% in favor of an audio warning like for LRMS, and probably a slightly longer hang time before it hits, though that would depend on what other changes were made. Especially in a slower mech the smoke time isn't remotely as long as some people are acting like it is. Also playing all the time in 3rd person just to get a better view for incoming strikes this would ruin one of the nicest visual aspects of the game (cockpit immersion feel).

Although I doubt it will happen, I also think all consumables should be changed to just being enabled by nodes in the skill tree, with corresponding reductions in how much using them earns you in a match, removing the taste of P2W/punishing newer players form this issue entirely. This would also allow for a few nodes to be swapped in (replace the extra strike with the one to enable it)

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users