The Original Uziel Animation

14 replies to this topic

#1 jjm1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:17 AM

These are not mine. They are from artist Mark Duncans site: http://skinhinge.com/misc.html and belong to Microsoft.

I took the old shockwave flash animation you probably cant even load on that site and converted it to webm: https://webmshare.com/Ad3vd

Then made some gifs because the forum is in 1995 mode:

decimated 36 frames @ 25fps, 100% scale, recoloured to MWO bogstock green.

Posted Image

with original colour:
Spoiler

original 76 frames @ 25fps, 80% scale
Spoiler

I just wanted to save them for fan archival purposes more than anything and let more people know about it. I couldn't find them anywhere else.

Edited by jjm1, 16 July 2017 - 06:51 AM.

#2 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:41 AM

God that thing is beautiful.

Use the Dragoons, get Clan Tech early, and slap a pair of ERPPCs and a SSRM6 on one of those in MW4, and you had one mobile, mean mech.

*sigh*

#3 Draconis March

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 121 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 06:23 AM

All I wanted was for the Uziel to look like this. Then PGI gave it a huge diaper, made it stand too tall, made it not-round, make its feet and arms dinky, and butcher the torso/leg ratio. What we got is basically a joke in comparison. I'm so disappointed.

#4 Tordin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 14 July 2017 - 11:50 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 14 July 2017 - 04:41 AM, said:

God that thing is beautiful.

Use the Dragoons, get Clan Tech early, and slap a pair of ERPPCs and a SSRM6 on one of those in MW4, and you had one mobile, mean mech.

*sigh*

Doing that right now!

#5 SgtMagor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:07 PM

that mech rocks! most fav medium mech in mw4. thx for the show :)

#6 Therron Keen

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:43 PM

dear god, it's beautiful... this was my favorite mech in MW4, and I was *SO* looking forward to it in MWO.

I might buy it for c-bills one day - no way I'm spending cash on what PGI delivered in place of this beautiful machine. :(

#7 Finalstrike

• Pip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 13 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 14 July 2017 - 10:13 PM

View PostDraconis March, on 14 July 2017 - 06:23 AM, said:

All I wanted was for the Uziel to look like this. Then PGI gave it a huge diaper, made it stand too tall, made it not-round, make its feet and arms dinky, and butcher the torso/leg ratio. What we got is basically a joke in comparison. I'm so disappointed.

agreed, to all of the above. this poor mech went from "mean and mobile" to "sad and strange."

#8 jjm1

• Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 06:53 AM

Updated.

I realised I made a mistake with the decimated GIFs. they should have been 36 frames and not 35. The left foot landing is smoother now with the final frame put in.

#9 Funkin Disher

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 590 posts
  • LocationPPC Apocalypse Bunker, Sydney

Posted 16 July 2017 - 06:06 PM

You sir are a gem to the BT community.

#10 Nikulas

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:25 AM

i tried to find a difference from the one on the battletech wiki. wile i did it it was minor to the mech it's self. here is the image in question i was referencing http://www.sarna.net.../File:Uziel.gif sorry for the necro

#11 Jungle Plague

• PipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 38 posts
  • LocationKennesaw, GA

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:25 AM

I think it could use a little tweaking in the proportions department... but PGI did it with most of the mechs in the game - tweaking size and proportions and what not - so I still have hope for the Uziel.

It definitely looks like it never skips leg day... but does pass on the ol' arm days. Beef the arms... and make it squat down a little more and it will look magical.. it also wont get torn to pieces all the darned time.

But i think it looks pretty sharp as it.

#12 m

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 01:49 PM

View Postjjm1, on 14 July 2017 - 02:17 AM, said:

These are not mine. They are from artist Mark Duncans site: http://skinhinge.com/misc.html and belong to Microsoft.

I took the old shockwave flash animation you probably cant even load on that site and converted it to webm: https://webmshare.com/Ad3vd

Then made some gifs because the forum is in 1995 mode:

decimated 36 frames @ 25fps, 100% scale, recoloured to MWO bogstock green.

Posted Image

with original colour:
Spoiler

original 76 frames @ 25fps, 80% scale
Spoiler

I just wanted to save them for fan archival purposes more than anything and let more people know about it. I couldn't find them anywhere else.

It has an organic look to it which looks good.

#13 cinco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 509 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 03:12 PM

View PostDraconis March, on 14 July 2017 - 06:23 AM, said:

absolutely, i wonder when they will get their act together and hire new and better 3d artists. i see so many of these butcherings from the concept art to 3d model stage, i have to wonder does their 3d artist need glasses, does he have a visual acuity or spatial perception issue? of course not all of them are bad. some of them are exceptional and iconic. atlas and spider are works of art. but wow, so many times they ruin some concept details or completely change them for no reason and it just ends up looking like utter ****.

someone needs ot stand up for the concept artist(s). they do good work, follow their lead, don't do unecessary and huge changes to their work. your 3d modelers DEFINITELY DO NOT have a better eye for aesthetics than the concept artist(s)

#14 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:27 PM

Honestly I feel the issues are with the rigging/animations more than the transition from 2D to 3D assets. It's not the 3D artist's fault when there's a last-minute decision to raise the height of the mech (EBJ), change the angle of the arms (NSR), or whatever else. To an extent I'm sure those are game balance decisions.

Either way, I do miss the old "bobbing" effect from MW4 gifs. The mechs look so damn good, though it would be a real pain to hold a beam weapon on target while moving if the crosshair was that wild. To a limited extent there's a bit of this in the MW5 demo and it gives a much better feeling of being in a giant, stompy death machine. I hate when your movement is too smooth when you're running around, it's one of the many failings of Halo IMO.

Edited by Luscious Dan, 09 February 2018 - 12:28 PM.

#15 xVLFBERHxT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 698 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:08 AM

They gave the Nightstar a nice "bobbing" effect, wich ads imo weight to the mechs movement animation and the community hated it...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users