Patch Notes - 1.4.126 - 18-Jul-2017

675 replies to this topic

#621 metallio

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 196 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:45 AM

View PostOdanan, on 19 July 2017 - 03:53 AM, said:

They did that change because now there are more than 2 options.

Yes...."But"...I occasionally have to design UI components or (rarely) whole UIs...and drop downs are universally loathed by end users. They take longer to navigate, alter your eye focus, etc. Not a big deal? Sure, it's not a big deal, and it's not the first thing I'd like PGI to fix, but you can always find another way to present options. Spin buttons, radio buttons, completely different options panel that pops up when you want to mess with it, etc.

#622 JacobDiglet

Rookie

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:19 AM

View Postmetallio, on 19 July 2017 - 08:45 AM, said:

Yes...."But"...I occasionally have to design UI components or (rarely) whole UIs...and drop downs are universally loathed by end users. They take longer to navigate, alter your eye focus, etc. Not a big deal? Sure, it's not a big deal, and it's not the first thing I'd like PGI to fix, but you can always find another way to present options. Spin buttons, radio buttons, completely different options panel that pops up when you want to mess with it, etc.

Drop downs are fine with me.... I think yer just being pedantic

I love your alternate suggestions tho.... all of which take the users eye focus but whatever. Furthermore... isn't the that the point? for the eye to focus on the desired option and selections within it? When I'm selecting weapons in the lab I really don't care to see my chassis or other items... I'm working on weapons...so I want my eye focus there

Edited by JacobDiglet, 19 July 2017 - 09:23 AM.

#623 Noglick

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 10:15 AM

Why do the *duck* IS AC5s do not have heat penalty, but c-ac5 have heat penalties for more than 3 guns simultaneously?
[Redacted]

Edited by draiocht, 19 July 2017 - 03:14 PM.
image used for staff abuse message

#624 metallio

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 196 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 10:41 AM

View PostJacobDiglet, on 19 July 2017 - 09:19 AM, said:

Drop downs are fine with me.... I think yer just being pedantic

I love your alternate suggestions tho.... all of which take the users eye focus but whatever. Furthermore... isn't the that the point? for the eye to focus on the desired option and selections within it? When I'm selecting weapons in the lab I really don't care to see my chassis or other items... I'm working on weapons...so I want my eye focus there

Not really. This isn't just me, this is a standard design problem. You only use drop downs when you "have to" and they're generally deprecated. I mean, you can tell me that in the region you design software for you don't consider it an issue and use it all the time on the websites you design for a living...and I'll nod and disagree but that's not pedantic, it's a functional consideration of design that's decided on a daily basis.

As far as eye focus? The small details are an important ergonomic and I do consider it telling that you haven't looked any deeper than "the eye moved at all" in your analysis of "eye focus" as a design consideration. Drop down menus force the eye to consider the area below the point that is clicked for a few moments, adjust to select the correct item, and return when the drop down disappears. The data underneath the drop down is obscured and then reappears quickly. I mean, you can decide that this is the same thing as radio buttons which don't move, spin buttons that don't move, and a separate panel that mentally creates an entirely different environment/window rather than interrupting the existing information on the page and you can decide that there's not enough insight available or research completed since the things showed up a generation ago...but, well, I guess I'm just going back to disagreeing with you.

I can't convince you on a web forum anyway right? This sort of thing is subjective and you're feeling like b!tching at someone about subjective design considerations so it's not like you're going to suddenly see my point of view and do something other than half-assedly passive aggressively attack it...nor would I of course...so why are we even discussing it?

https://www.rocketsp...hat-do-instead/

#625 Ripper X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 343 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:08 AM

Mad Cats chassis looks all beat up no matter what paint you put on it. Clans are suppose to have clean paint jobs. This just looks terrible.
I think the burn duration on the heavy lasers are still a little long. The heat/damage ratio looks good. Range is OK but why the long burn duration?
ATM's look pretty good if played properly. Minimum range needs to go though. They should severely ramp down damage under 120 meters.

Edited by Ripper X, 19 July 2017 - 11:19 AM.

#626 BEARDOOM

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 163 posts
  • LocationBelgrade

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:45 AM

CLAN comp do not add velocity for AC and UAC... From my exp.

#627 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:55 AM

View PostBEARDOOM, on 19 July 2017 - 11:45 AM, said:

CLAN comp do not add velocity for AC and UAC... From my exp.

Computer, Console, Artemis and probe bonuses are not reflected in mechlab displayed stats.

Edited by Dee Eight, 19 July 2017 - 11:55 AM.

#628 Cpt Contego

• PipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 73 posts
  • LocationQueensland, Australia

Posted 19 July 2017 - 01:52 PM

Lotta ppl getting upset in this forum lately... The game is as close to balanced as it has ever been, now a lot of IS mechs are on par with their Clan counterparts thanks mainly to LFE. The Clan XL Engine is still superior to LFE though.

Ultimately Clan weapons are still superior because of 4 main reasons: Damage, Range, Tonnage and Crit Slots, every Clan weapon is superior to it's IS counterpart. Every Clan weapon is suited to just about any occasion, whereas IS weapons are role specific, for example the Clan ERPPC does everything that the 5 different IS PPC's can do combined, The Clan ER lasers are still greater range than the IS counterparts.

The Heavy lasers are just downright deadly as they are, to reduce their duration is folly, they are the first attempt at making role specific weapons for Clans, I mean seriously, 18 damage for 4 tonnes?? Yes Please, even 10 damage for 1 tonne is insane!! The heat factor isn't even that bad after trying them out myself, Just learn to use them better instead of alpha poke/pop tarting all the time.

You can't just shove a bunch of lasers on and hope that everything will be fine, balance out the weapons like traditional mechs, take some low heat ballistics to offset the high heat energy, take some LRMs to hit the enemy before you get to optimal range. Don't just alpha strike, fire your weapons in stages, you know you can have more than 2 weapon groups right?

As both a Clan and IS player, the only OP weapons are probably the RAC 5's at the moment, the rest seem pretty good to me for now.

Please note, I am not trying to insult, degrade or attack anyone with my post, merely trying to provide positive advice and thoughts.

On another side note, for anyone who wants a fun mech to play with new tech, check out the BJ-A with 6 HMG & 3 Med Pulse, throw on 4 JJ's and the rest in a LFE. Skill it for speed, mobility and jump ability, then use the rest in range & consumables. You'll thank me later ;)

#629 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 19 July 2017 - 02:47 PM

O.k I was wrong yes WRONG

I still don't think these are the best looking mechs to date, which is what Russ claimed, but then as a boss trying to sell these things he's never going to say anything less.

They are however a good deal better looking than any of the count down pictures suggest.

I got lucky I guess after I said I was cancelling, that my rl got to busy to do it until it was to late.

I still think they have faults, I still think the MCII and the Uziel need their desperate for the bathroom feet pushed outwards, I think the Anni still needs it arm out a bit further, and the Uziel needs it centre of balance changed, but none of these things look as bad in your mechbay as they did in the pictures

So as I've been vocal about cancelling I figure I should be vocal about increasing the purchases. which I will be soon.

#630 NocturnalBeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 19 July 2017 - 03:02 PM

View PostCathy, on 19 July 2017 - 02:47 PM, said:

O.k I was wrong yes WRONG

I still don't think these are the best looking mechs to date, which is what Russ claimed, but then as a boss trying to sell these things he's never going to say anything less.

They are however a good deal better looking than any of the count down pictures suggest.

I got lucky I guess after I said I was cancelling, that my rl got to busy to do it until it was to late.

I still think they have faults, I still think the MCII and the Uziel need their desperate for the bathroom feet pushed outwards, I think the Anni still needs it arm out a bit further, and the Uziel needs it centre of balance changed, but none of these things look as bad in your mechbay as they did in the pictures

So as I've been vocal about cancelling I figure I should be vocal about increasing the purchases. which I will be soon.

It is kind of like when you go to get fast food and the food you ordered does not look as good as it does in the pictures on the menu. Usually most companies will put a disclaimer stating that the delivered product may not look the same as it does in the pictures, but I don't recall seeing any such disclaimer in the Mech Pack adds (although, I have not looked in a while). Really, though, you should never feel bad for requesting a refund for a delivered product that is not of the quality that you expected.

Edited by Ed Steele, 19 July 2017 - 03:02 PM.

#631 Punk Oblivion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 352 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 05:33 PM

View PostEl Contego, on 19 July 2017 - 01:52 PM, said:

Lotta ppl getting upset in this forum lately... The game is as close to balanced as it has ever been, now a lot of IS mechs are on par with their Clan counterparts thanks mainly to LFE. The Clan XL Engine is still superior to LFE though.

Ultimately Clan weapons are still superior because of 4 main reasons: Damage, Range, Tonnage and Crit Slots, every Clan weapon is superior to it's IS counterpart. Every Clan weapon is suited to just about any occasion, whereas IS weapons are role specific, for example the Clan ERPPC does everything that the 5 different IS PPC's can do combined, The Clan ER lasers are still greater range than the IS counterparts.

The Heavy lasers are just downright deadly as they are, to reduce their duration is folly, they are the first attempt at making role specific weapons for Clans, I mean seriously, 18 damage for 4 tonnes?? Yes Please, even 10 damage for 1 tonne is insane!! The heat factor isn't even that bad after trying them out myself, Just learn to use them better instead of alpha poke/pop tarting all the time.

You can't just shove a bunch of lasers on and hope that everything will be fine, balance out the weapons like traditional mechs, take some low heat ballistics to offset the high heat energy, take some LRMs to hit the enemy before you get to optimal range. Don't just alpha strike, fire your weapons in stages, you know you can have more than 2 weapon groups right?

As both a Clan and IS player, the only OP weapons are probably the RAC 5's at the moment, the rest seem pretty good to me for now.

Yup, I feel this is about spot on. It's funny that so many people complain about RAC's being DOA. I also feel they are a great weapon. My only complaint is that I think RAC2's should have ghost heat set to 3, not two.

But really I just want to be able to put two RAC5's and a RAC2 on my Ilya :-P

#632 Punk Oblivion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 352 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 05:37 PM

View PostEl Contego, on 19 July 2017 - 01:52 PM, said:

On another side note, for anyone who wants a fun mech to play with new tech, check out the BJ-A with 6 HMG & 3 Med Pulse, throw on 4 JJ's and the rest in a LFE. Skill it for speed, mobility and jump ability, then use the rest in range & consumables. You'll thank me later Posted Image

Also I am having fun with my arrow running a light 200, 4 JJ's, 2 LPL's, and 6 LMG's

#633 Cpt Contego

• PipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:41 PM

View PostPunk Oblivion, on 19 July 2017 - 05:33 PM, said:

Yup, I feel this is about spot on. It's funny that so many people complain about RAC's being DOA. I also feel they are a great weapon. My only complaint is that I think RAC2's should have ghost heat set to 3, not two.

I definitely agree that RAC 2 should be 3, but having RAC 5 at 3 would be adding fuel to the fire lol, RAC 5's are already pretty darn decent.

View PostPunk Oblivion, on 19 July 2017 - 05:37 PM, said:

Also I am having fun with my arrow running a light 200, 4 JJ's, 2 LPL's, and 6 LMG's

I'll have to try that one, would be nice to be able to engage at longer ranges, cheers for the idea Posted Image

Edited by El Contego, 19 July 2017 - 06:43 PM.

#634 Cpt Contego

• PipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:46 PM

View PostPunk Oblivion, on 19 July 2017 - 05:33 PM, said:

I have a friend who got an Annihilator, runs it with 2 RAC 5's and 2 LB10X's, Uses the RAC's to chew through armor, then destroys their structure with the LBX's, it's unbelievably effective, nearly to the point where i'm tempted to get one myself.

#635 Punk Oblivion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 352 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:56 PM

View PostEl Contego, on 19 July 2017 - 06:46 PM, said:

I have a friend who got an Annihilator, runs it with 2 RAC 5's and 2 LB10X's, Uses the RAC's to chew through armor, then destroys their structure with the LBX's, it's unbelievably effective, nearly to the point where i'm tempted to get one myself.

I have
2 RAC5's, 3 MRM10's on an AS7-D-DC
2 RAC5's, 4 LB2X's on an anni
2 RAC5's, 4 AC2's on a KGC-000
2 RAC5's, 4 LMG's on my JM6-DD

All those builds are great. Just need to pair them with other good "Facetime" weapons to cover spin-up and jams while you get back into cover.

Edit: AND I have my Ilya currently with:
RAC2
RAC5
LMG
LL
MPL
ML

Basically fire all weapons during spin-up, then RAC's only until a jam or 75% heat. Then use the laser/LMG suite while going back into cover to cool/unjam.

Edited by Punk Oblivion, 19 July 2017 - 07:01 PM.

#636 Inappropriate1

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 70 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:00 PM

Yay! insults redacted. Censorship is so Canadian.

#637 G SE7EN7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 579 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationGaledon District

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:39 PM

View PostBrethren, on 19 July 2017 - 03:20 AM, said:

A 'two button switch' for 3 to 4 options? That's going to be interesting...

...or you just deal with it.

well three button switch, trucken 12 yo's and 1 dimensional thinking

#638 -Quiet-

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:45 PM

very nice update .. but I hope more players will join in \ come back to the game ... we still ghosting here on the clan side
and inner sphere are still losing as always (even with all this nice upgrades)

we are happy that pgi released an updated that - ADD- new things and "not" removing the things we like(as u usual do)

hope some day even more weapons and tech will be added to the the game like - X-Pulse laser , Law Missiles etc ..
cheers pgi and tnx

Edited by Bios303, 19 July 2017 - 09:46 PM.

#639 Genesis23

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 227 posts
  • LocationKanton Bern, Switzerland

Posted 19 July 2017 - 10:24 PM

first test run yesterday went... well not horrible but far from optimal

tried orion-1V with 2rac5 and 3mrm10. heats up very fast and then i died very fast due to bad positioning

quickdraw with 4ll and 2rl (the one with 3 slots) and one of the rocket lunchers with 2 slots in the ct was fun, but very situational and the rockets only sandpaper the enemy mech a bit. looks cool tho.

linebacker with atm and heavy mediums worked well too, as long you can stay in a sweetspot of 250-300m - and have enough missiles to last a while.

btw: does someone has the crit ratio of the lmg, mg and hmg?

#640 Doctor Dinosaur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 271 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:28 PM

"Light Machine Gun (Both Clan / IS)

• Damage increased to 0.07 (from 0.06)
    • Crit Multiplier increased to 13(from 9)
  • Heavy MachineGun (Both Clan / IS)
    • Damage reduced to 0.14 (from 0.15)
    • Crit Multiplier reduced to 6 (from 9)
I think that's everything PGI stated about machine gunes and crits. Note that they never stated the base crit multiplier in the first place.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users