Patch, Balance, Awesome, But...

44 replies to this topic

#1 MauttyKoray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 09:48 AM

Inner Sphere ER PPC
• Velocity increased to 1900 (from 1300).

Clan ER PPC
• Heat increased to 14.5 (from 14)
• Velocity increased to 1500 (from 1300).

Preemptive: Yes I'm tagged Clan, I like wolf, Kell Hounds aren't an available faction, I have a generous stable of both IS and Clan mechs and play both very often. My favorite mechs are IS, so...why would I want to gimp my favorite mechs? Your 'Clan Complainer' argument is invalid.

I can't agree with the ridiculous disparity between the velocities for this weapon. For a few reasons.

1) The disparity of velocity between 2 weapons of the same type (i.e. ERPPCs) will be a large hurdle towards normalizing play with them. (IS have extremely fast ERPPCs compared to CERPPCS)

2) With the heat increased, the velocity is further noticeable as an IS ERPPC will be able to fire more often as its increased velocity and more reliably hit its target for the solid 10 damage in one location, making it a superior long range choice.

3) Clan ERPPC is already a sub-standard weapon with its trade off of high heat and a damage split mechanic with an arguable utility to it. (i.e. if hitting a LT with an arm already removed, the damage direct towards the LA is nullified making a CERPPC inefficient in terms of the game's mechanics)

4) From a balance perspective the CERPPC is undeniably worse at cost/efficiency when compared to the IS counterpart.

While my complaints above are stated, actual gameplay with these changes may prove me wrong. I would like to also bring up the change of giving CERPPC a modification to its split mechanic at a 12/1.5/1.5 damage rate instead to prevent its complete superiority while still giving it a reason to be considerably less efficient than the lore weapons that this game is sourced from. Or, to raise the CERPPC to 13 and eliminate the split damage.

Edited by MauttyKoray, 15 July 2017 - 09:48 AM.

#2 Aggravated Assault Mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 825 posts
  • Locationlocation location

Posted 15 July 2017 - 09:56 AM

You've obviously never looked at an IS ERPPC.

#3 Jettrik Ryflix

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Star
  • The Star
  • 183 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh?

Posted 15 July 2017 - 09:57 AM

The cERPPC is a substandard weapon? Okay then.

It's the best weapon in the game, IMO, when you consider its high damage output relative to crit and weight cost. It just got a velocity buff too, so yeah.

As far as the IS ERPPC goes... have you tried playing with it? The issue is not only its extra weight, extra crit, and less damage, but also the extra crit in the IS DHS, as well as the extra crits required by IS Endo and Ferro.

#4 r4plez

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 812 posts
  • LocationFoundry

Posted 15 July 2017 - 09:59 AM

IS ER PPC velocity looks overballanced i concur but dont forget both weapons have different critical space and weight.

#5 Zergling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:01 AM

View PostMauttyKoray, on 15 July 2017 - 09:48 AM, said:

3) Clan ERPPC is already a sub-standard weapon

Yeah, you're wrong about that; the Clan ER PPC is actually pretty good.

#6 Aggravated Assault Mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 825 posts
  • Locationlocation location

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:09 AM

IS ERPPC is basically terrible as it stands, 10 dmg 13 heat with 3 slot DHS?

1900m/s is cool and all but it doesn't change the basic fact that IS ERPPC is just too inefficient from a damage/heat standpoint- easily one of the worst in the game if not the worst.

#7 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:10 AM

i think its mostly because Clan ERPPC has 5More Damage than IS ERPPC,

After Patch ERPPC Stats,
Weapon,.......Damage.....Heat...Cooldown...Range...Velocity...Crits...Tonnage...Health...
IS-ERPPC........10...........13.5.........4.............810........1900.......3............7............12.5.....
C-ERPPC....10(+2.5x2)..14.5........4.5............810........1500.......2............6.............7.5.....
(C-ERPPC seems to be paying alot for that 5Danage and -1Ton/Crit)

Edited by Andi Nagasia, 15 July 2017 - 10:11 AM.

#8 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:11 AM

I agree, a poor decision

It should be 3 KM/s

#9 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:24 AM

Consider that nobody was using ERPPC BJ-3s to counter cERPPC HBK-IIC, and that was back when the BJ-3 had a 1950 m/s velocity while the HBK-IIC was only around 1400 m/s or so through targeting computers.

The bottom line is that, for 10 damage, the isERPPC is simply too hot. Period. It's got the worst damage-to-heat ratio of any weapon in the game and it's compounded by the extra ton and slot it costs relative to cERPPC and the lower number of heatsinks that can be mounted with it. And because of all that, it's not really feasible for the IS to mount a TC of similar size as the Clan 'Mechs can.

As for a redistribution of the damage on the cERPPC, eh, I dunno. The NTG with 2x Gauss + 1x ER PPC probably isn't going anywhere unless the heat spike is incredible. That's still 40+5. Bumping the damage to 12 just makes it more potent at 42+3, and because of the linking there is nothing the IS can bring to bump up past 40 at all. And it's still a mere 6 tons to the 10 of the HPPC. I do think the CTF-3D has a chance of being OP for a little bit with a pair of HPPC, but that will be because of its ridiculously strong armor quirks and not the weapon.

#10 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:30 AM

View PostAndi Nagasia, on 15 July 2017 - 10:10 AM, said:

i think its mostly because Clan ERPPC has 5More Damage than IS ERPPC,

After Patch ERPPC Stats,
Weapon,.......Damage.....Heat...Cooldown...Range...Velocity...Crits...Tonnage...Health...
IS-ERPPC........10...........13.5.........4.............810........1900.......3............7............12.5.....
C-ERPPC....10(+2.5x2)..14.5........4.5............810........1500.......2............6.............7.5.....
(C-ERPPC seems to be paying alot for that 5Danage and -1Ton/Crit)

They are paying too much. The splash damage of the Clan ER PPC has always been mostly worthless. I mean I don't need 2.5 damage going to each of the ST when I am firing at a cored enemy so really all my CER PPC is doing is 10 damage. I mean I guess over time, the splash damage might add up and occasionally it might be able to exploite a weakness in the enemy's armor but in most cases it is no different than a miss for all the usefulness it achieves.

#11 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:36 AM

View PostViktor Drake, on 15 July 2017 - 10:30 AM, said:

I mean I guess over time, the splash damage might add up and occasionally it might be able to exploite a weakness in the enemy's armor but in most cases it is no different than a miss for all the usefulness it achieves.

When even a miss from a pair is still 5 damage to the component you want, that's quite good. It also isn't there to open up opportunities for you, it's there to open up opportunities for the rest of your team. They see that the CT is open but they can't hit it, but also that the ST is low on armor? Boom, laser shot right through the side, potentially dead XL 'Mech. If the PPC user had been trading with IS PPCs, the CT would be in the same place but his ally would not have had the same impact.

#12 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:42 AM

If OP thinks IS ERPPC is gonna be better choice than CERPPC, then he is flat out wrong. For reasons mentioned above.

#13 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,929 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:47 AM

im convinced that even with the hppc, light and snub the cerppc will still be the best ppc in the game. i dont see this as a gimp at all. its a little faster than it was and i was already good with cerppc. so what if the is erppc got some extra velocity, it needed it.

cerppc 6 tons and gets an extra 5 points of splash.
is erppc 7 tons, an extra slot and doesnt get no splash.

both weapons are slow so extra velocity is always good. the extra 400m/s on the is erppc makes up for the splash on the clan side.

Edited by LordNothing, 15 July 2017 - 10:50 AM.

#14 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:49 AM

Classic clanners.

#15 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:52 AM

View PostViktor Drake, on 15 July 2017 - 10:30 AM, said:

They are paying too much. The splash damage of the Clan ER PPC has always been mostly worthless. I mean I don't need 2.5 damage going to each of the ST when I am firing at a cored enemy so really all my CER PPC is doing is 10 damage. I mean I guess over time, the splash damage might add up and occasionally it might be able to exploite a weakness in the enemy's armor but in most cases it is no different than a miss for all the usefulness it achieves.

Sorry I don't buy it. It's 1 heat for 5 dmg.It's basically free. These normally run in sets so 5 dmg to most sides is a big deal. People don't hit the ct every shot.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 15 July 2017 - 10:53 AM.

#16 HGAK47

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 971 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:52 AM

lol what? Seems a bit fast! Those 40% bonused mechs are going to be shooting near lightspeed ppc`s lol nice.

#17 R Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:58 AM

The hell are you on about? cERPPC is easily the most used weapon in the game while isERPPC is virtually unheard of. People will take the ghetto PPCs with a minimum range over the lackluster IS version that costs more heat than it does damage, a feat only matched by the flamer. All other weapons do more damage than they do heat, even the nerfed cERPPC. The isERPPC was the energy weapon most in need of a buff back during energy "rebalance" and was completely ignored in the process. Meanwhile, cERPPCs received some free heat management. If anything, the isERPPC needs more buffs since its heat to damage ratio is so abysmal.

#18 4rcs1ne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 474 posts
  • LocationKnoxville,TN

Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:26 AM

View PostMauttyKoray, on 15 July 2017 - 09:48 AM, said:

Clan ERPPC is already a sub-standard weapon ...

Posted Image

#19 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:09 PM

Admittedly I'm surprised by how much more velocity they gave it. It's gonna be really accurate now. My poptart Vindicator is going to be really happy.

#20 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:17 PM

View PostMechaBattler, on 15 July 2017 - 01:09 PM, said:

Admittedly I'm surprised by how much more velocity they gave it. It's gonna be really accurate now. My poptart Vindicator is going to be really happy.

2,470 m/s on my BJ-3, yeah.

I do think it was a bit of an over-balance. I would have rather seen something like 1500 m/s and a heat reduction.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users