85 replies to this topic

#1 Kin3ticX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:13 AM

Why not just give gauss rifles base heat instead of tip toeing around it with a bizarre linkage? Isn't just adding base heat the same thing except that it isn't invisible to the player?

Just because Sarna or some ancient TRO says 1 heat doesn't mean it works in a shooter.

The 1 heat is a big part of what makes the gauss rifle the usual problem weapon. PGI has changed everything about the Gauss Rifle but the heat and damage.

Velocity
Range
Cooldown
Health
Internal Damage
Crit chance
Charge up
Charge limit

Edited by Kin3ticX, 15 July 2017 - 03:12 AM.

#2 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:14 AM

Like my LBX thread in the PTS forums, TL;DR.

Honestly, the PTS when energy draw was conceived gave zero hints to PGI on this specific matter. Obviously it has translated onwards in this form.

I even said about this particular balance issue was that the unhappy solution (but not complete crap-on-player solution) was to literally increase heat on the weapon.

It's too effing hard a concept to grasp... you know this.

Edited by Deathlike, 15 July 2017 - 12:15 AM.

#3 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:16 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 15 July 2017 - 12:14 AM, said:

Like my LBX thread in the PTS forums, TL;DR.

Honestly, the PTS when energy draw was conceived gave zero hints to PGI on this specific matter. Obviously it has translated onwards in this form.

The one thing from the energy draw PTS that was good, the alarm icon, was scrapped as well. That would be pretty valuable to new players.

#4 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:18 AM

I would prefer this method (because its linear) or focusing on the downside of that loadout (low DPS), because it really isn't THAT far ahead of some other combos out there, as the masses are sure to discover in short order here...

#5 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:20 AM

View PostKin3ticX, on 15 July 2017 - 12:16 AM, said:

The one thing from the energy draw PTS that was good, the alarm icon, was scrapped as well. That would be pretty valuable to new players.

That would've been probably the most useful thing since Ghost Heat is still "a mystery" to many players that play MWO (I believe you mostly find out through smurfy and the occasional patch notes - it's still relatively vague in game due to poor English/explanations in use).

#6 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:21 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 15 July 2017 - 12:18 AM, said:

I would prefer this method (because its linear) or focusing on the downside of that loadout (low DPS), because it really isn't THAT far ahead of some other combos out there, as the masses are sure to discover in short order here...

Not sure why they are going after Gauss Peep so hard suddenly. The deeps are meh and to rack up a lot of work in solo queue you have to have a pretty long match.

Laser vomit is putting out way better numbers than double gawse peep or double peep gawse, especially double peep gawse

Edited by Kin3ticX, 15 July 2017 - 12:25 AM.

#7 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:22 AM

View PostKin3ticX, on 15 July 2017 - 12:21 AM, said:

Not sure why they are going after Gauss Peep so hard suddenly. The deeps are are meh and to rack up a lot of work in solo queue you have to have a pretty long match.

Laser vomit is putting out way better numbers than double gawse peep or double peep gawse

Balance by potato... the thing we talk about but PGI refuses to acknowledge despite comp play having a tendency to dictate overall success in builds/styles/execution (you know, people that aren't completely clueless).

#8 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:23 AM

Not sure why they are going after Gauss Peep so hard suddenly. The deeps are are meh and to rack up a lot of work in solo queue you have to have a pretty long match.

Laser vomit is putting out way better numbers than double gawse peep or double peep gawse, especially double peep gawse

Yeah I'm fully aware, that's why all my non gauss peep mechs have better stats. But... the forumites here don't get it apparently. They be like "HEY ITS 50 PPFLD IT RUINS MY LIFE ALL THE TIME".

#9 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:27 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 15 July 2017 - 12:23 AM, said:

Yeah I'm fully aware, that's why all my non gauss peep mechs have better stats. But... the forumites here don't get it apparently. They be like "HEY ITS 50 PPFLD IT RUINS MY LIFE ALL THE TIME".

Wait is PGI supposed to make damage spread or is the player supposed to roll their torso. I forgot. Didn't someone make a guide about this?

#10 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:34 AM

View PostKin3ticX, on 15 July 2017 - 12:27 AM, said:

Wait is PGI supposed to make damage spread or is the player supposed to roll their torso. I forgot. Didn't someone make a guide about this?

Nope. PGI TL;DR.

#11 Dogstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,725 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:40 AM

@kinetix - just a minor annoyance but you do realise that writing peep(s) uses more key presses than writing ppc(s) right? and gawse is the same as gauss as well but harder to understand

Sorry, carry on as before, just had to get that off my chest

#12 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:43 AM

View PostDogstar, on 15 July 2017 - 12:40 AM, said:

@kinetix - just a minor annoyance but you do realise that writing peep(s) uses more key presses than writing ppc(s) right? and gawse is the same as gauss as well but harder to understand

Sorry, carry on as before, just had to get that off my chest

It's how I say it vocally, I'm starting a trend here

#13 Dogstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,725 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:45 AM

.........!

#14 Vonbach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 697 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:53 AM

Not sure why they are going after Gauss Peep so hard suddenly.

They're going after it because its toxic fun killing garbage. Half the maps are long range sniper
maps so you end up with endless boring poke fests at 800 plus meters with half the people on your team sitting there waiting for someone to get bored enough to charge the sniper line and die.

#15 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:57 AM

View PostVonbach, on 15 July 2017 - 12:53 AM, said:

They're going after it because its toxic fun killing garbage. Half the maps are long range sniper
maps so you end up with endless boring poke fests at 800 plus meters with half the people on your team sitting there waiting for someone to get bored enough to charge the sniper line and die.

You mean LRM-fests. There are way more people trying to trade with slow-arse missiles than with proper sniping weapons.

#16 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:59 AM

View PostVonbach, on 15 July 2017 - 12:53 AM, said:

Uhhh so when Gauss Peep isn't an option you think people aren't just gonna bring mass ER LLs or quad ER PPCs and do the same sniper thing?

Besides that point, that is rarely my experience in this game as of late...

#17 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

View PostYeonne Greene, on 15 July 2017 - 12:57 AM, said:

You mean LRM-fests. There are way more people trying to trade with slow-arse missiles than with proper sniping weapons.

I think he means both :D

#18 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts

Because fun in this game is using all weapon groups for 6 different weapons and using a flamer to round out your build in-case of infantry

The dirty secret in this game though is that alphastrike is whats truly fun. Nobody in the opposite camp would admit it.
edit: exception for DPS dakka builds of course :D

Edited by Kin3ticX, 15 July 2017 - 01:01 AM.

#19 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:00 AM

View PostKin3ticX, on 15 July 2017 - 12:59 AM, said:

The dirty secret in this game though is that alphastrike is whats truly fun. Nobody in the opposite camp would admit it.

Even as they alpha-strike with all 60 of their long-range missile tubes...

#20 Vonbach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 697 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:04 AM

Lrms are nowhere near as effective as Gauss ppc and everyone knows it. Gauss PPC does a ton of damage to one location at extreme range. Lrms have so many counters its hard to count them all. Including travel time and AMS not to mention the damage is spread all over the mech.
Not to mention you cant fire poptart fire lrms.

Edited by Vonbach, 15 July 2017 - 01:06 AM.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users