84 replies to this topic

#1 vettie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 1,620 posts
  • LocationThe Good Ole South

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:07 PM

With the LFEs almost on us, I started wondering...

How many of you will leave your XL builds as is? why? and which ones?

#2 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:13 PM

I don't think ANY of my mechs currently rocking XLs will swap over to LFEs... Except the Cataphract 4X, plan on swapping it from the classic 4xAC5/2xML/255XL build to 2xUAC10/SnPPC/255LFE.

However, I DO have a bunch with standard engines that will swap to LFEs.

The loss of speed and/or payload in swapping to a LFE from an XL is just not something I want to deal with.

Edited by Escef, 15 July 2017 - 12:14 PM.

#3 Athom83

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:16 PM

XL builds will stay XL. Most Std builds will be swapping to LFE. Some Std builds will stay as is because of lack of slots to swap to LFE.

#4 Alcom Isst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 935 posts
  • LocationElo Heaven

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:34 PM

I have a hilarious SRM+ML Battlemaster with an XL 400 that I'm rebuilding into an MRM boat with an LFE. I also have an SRM Griffin-2N that went from an XL 280 to an STD 250 at the cost of some ammo and jump-jets. I miss the speed and bounce so I'm planning on getting an LFE for the tonnage.

My Shadowhawks, Thunderbolts, and other Battlemasters are having their STDs all replaced with LFEs. The phoenix is reborn.

Edited by Alcom Isst, 15 July 2017 - 12:34 PM.

#5 Hestan

• PipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 72 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:39 PM

Not changing any lights with XL in them, no real reason or advantage to go LFE.

#6 The Mysterious Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 381 posts
  • LocationUsing your bathroom

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:40 PM

its not a swap, lfe will open completely new builds

#7 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:03 PM

some will stay XL some will stay STD, many will go LFE,

with LFerro + LFE many open many builds, that extra 1-2Tons can really be the difference,
and if the Choice is an XL250 or an LFE250(which is 3Tons) not much all things considered,

#8 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:21 PM

Alot of my XL builds will be swapping over especially since there is a who slew of new weapons coming out as well. It is hard to explain but you can do a fair amount of weight reduction on current builds due to just changing up the builds. This is going to free up quite a bit of weight.

For example, my PHX-2 currently mounts 2 x LL and 3 x ML with 270 XL. The primary reason I mount the 2 LLs is to give me the range I need to engage targets from well outside the ranges where the enemy can easily target me despite my ECM. MLs alone don't give me enough range to constantly do that. However ER MLs absolutely do so with the new tech I will ditch the 2 LLs and just mount 6 x ER MLs while using the extra weight to mount a 300 LFE which not only improves my durability but also my speed. I trade a bit of alpha but gain a faster rate of fire and while I technically do lose quite a bit of range off the LLs, I can easily Skill my ER ML range out to 400m which is just fine.

I spent alot of time on test and I have builds in mechs as small as 35 tons that can take advantage of the LFE engines. It becomes a trade off but in generally I feel I am gaining more than I am losing. Once I get up to the 50-55 ton range and higher it becomes easier to justify the LFE though. Overall for the 68 IS mechs I owned a good 40 of them are going to be converting to LFE. That being the case, I figured up that I would be spending in the neighborhood of 100-130 million C-bills just on LFE's alone.

#9 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:32 PM

Very few XL builds will switch. One XL-engined brawler Wolverine will.

So far I haven't idenfied a single STD engine build which will NOT switch.

#10 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:35 PM

View Postvettie, on 15 July 2017 - 12:07 PM, said:

With the LFEs almost on us, I started wondering...

How many of you will leave your XL builds as is? why? and which ones?

I mean i run xl only on lights where i cant really spare weight for light engine
and on catapult lurmboat which will get light even if i need to go down on it.

oh and planned to get rifleman with racs, maybe itll get light though normally it would be xl.

View Postjss78, on 15 July 2017 - 01:32 PM, said:

So far I haven't idenfied a single STD engine build which will NOT switch.

hbk 4p, already fitted 275 std, and im starved for crits so meh.
misery stalker, again no crits, maybe some other variants havent decided on build.
as7, on as7s i would need to drop srm6, on ddc i would need to change ballistics.
1 marauder wont get light for sure as i plan to put 2 rac5 and i dont give a slightest if they suck.

just from top of my mind.

Edited by davoodoo, 15 July 2017 - 01:45 PM.

#11 xe N on

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:40 PM

Next to no XL build will go LFE. But many STD builds will.

#12 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:48 PM

View Postdavoodoo, on 15 July 2017 - 01:35 PM, said:

I mean i run xl only on lights where i cant really spare weight for light engine
and on catapult lurmboat which will get light even if i need to go down on it.

oh and planned to get rifleman with racs, maybe itll get light though normally it would be xl.

hbk 4p, already fitted 275 std, and im starved for crits so meh.
misery stalker, again no crits, maybe some other variants havent decided on build.
as7, on as7s i would need to drop srm6, on ddc i would need to change ballistics.

just from top of my mind.

I think your underestimating things. For example, My Grasshopper 5H is currently at 77 of 78 crits used. At first glance why would I convert over to an LFE if I don't have crits. I mean I would have to dump a couple DHS to make it happen. However, I can convert my 295 Standard to a 325 LFE which does guess what? Yep it means I can move two DHS to the engine freeing up 6 slots in the mech. 4 go to the LFE but that leaves 3 slots open which coincidentally gives me room for yet another DHS. So I end up about 10 kph faster due to the LFE plus gain an extra DHS, all from a mech with no slots remaining.

Edited by Viktor Drake, 15 July 2017 - 01:48 PM.

#13 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:50 PM

None of my 'mechs that currently run on XLs will be switching to a LFE. Most of my 'mechs that run on STDs will be switching to a LFE. There are a few exceptions to that though.

#14 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:52 PM

View PostViktor Drake, on 15 July 2017 - 01:48 PM, said:

I think your underestimating things. For example, My Grasshopper 5H is currently at 77 of 78 crits used. At first glance why would I convert over to an LFE if I don't have crits. I mean I would have to dump a couple DHS to make it happen. However, I can convert my 295 Standard to a 325 LFE which does guess what? Yep it means I can move two DHS to the engine freeing up 6 slots in the mech. 4 go to the LFE but that leaves 3 slots open which coincidentally gives me room for yet another DHS. So I end up about 10 kph faster due to the LFE plus gain an extra DHS, all from a mech with no slots remaining.

Yeah in that case sure, but then 275 is max for hbk4p.
and i ran my misery with 4 ll, ac20 and 275 so far and change to lfe would require me to change weaponry maybe ill get some loadout which i might like, but on my time on pts i just couldnt.

Edited by davoodoo, 15 July 2017 - 01:53 PM.

#15 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:04 PM

Probably very few if any switches from XL->LFE, and probably nearly all will switch from STD->XL.

There may be a few mechs with exaggerated XL engines that I take a speed bump for survivability, but not many. The weapons and speed allowed by XL is usually worth the riskiness of the torso.

#16 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:05 PM

View Postdavoodoo, on 15 July 2017 - 01:52 PM, said:

Yeah in that case sure, but then 275 is max for hbk4p.
and i ran my misery with 4 ll, ac20 and 275 so far and change to lfe would require me to change weaponry maybe ill get some loadout which i might like, but on my time on pts i just couldnt.

Swapping to a LFE shouldn't require any weapon changes for that build. LFE only takes 2 crits per side torso, the AC20 will sit snugly atop your LFE.

Assuming your current build is something like this: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...188519acaf99f78

You should be able to yank the AC20, swap the 275 std over to a 310 LFE, cram 1 more heat sink into the engine, and drop the AC20 right back in with a ton and 2 crits left over... Maybe even swap the AC20 out for a UAC20? Or throw in a RL15? AMS & half-ton of ammo? Maybe a ML or ERML in the CT? Or screw all of that and just toss in an extra ton of AC20 ammo?

Oops, no, the 310 LFE is 1 ton heavier... But you end up with more crits free for it, maybe light ferro armor and an AC upgrade to ultra or extra doodad? I dunno. And if you go for the more typical 300 LFE all the struck out text should still apply.

Edited by Escef, 15 July 2017 - 02:12 PM.

#17 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:07 PM

View PostEscef, on 15 July 2017 - 02:05 PM, said:

Swapping to a LFE shouldn't require any weapon changes for that build. LFE only takes 2 crits per side torso, the AC20 will sit snugly atop your LFE.

Assuming your current build is something like this: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...188519acaf99f78

You should be able to yank the AC20, swap the 275 std over to a 310 LFE, cram 1 more heat sink into the engine, and drop the AC20 right back in with a ton and 2 crits left over... Maybe even swap the AC20 out for a UAC20? Or throw in a RL15? AMS & half-ton of ammo? Maybe a ML or ERML in the CT? Or screw all of that and just toss in an extra ton of AC20 ammo?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...082c4bfda8e564a
to be exact.

Its already pretty hot though and uac20 wont make it any better. i mean i could drop endo switch to 250 lfe and add a dhs or 2, but that aint a good idea.

also been thinking 2 hppc + gauss but that aint gonna happen Posted Image

alternatively i could drop dhs put 300 lfe there and use extra tonnage for ammo and targeting which i have no crits for... so drop to 3 lpl which requires weaponry change.

Edited by davoodoo, 15 July 2017 - 02:13 PM.

#18 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:14 PM

View Postdavoodoo, on 15 July 2017 - 02:07 PM, said:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...082c4bfda8e564a
to be exact.

Its already pretty hot though and uac20 wont make it any better. i mean i could drop endo switch to 250 lfe and add a dhs or 2, but that aint a good idea.

also been thinking 2 hppc + gauss but that aint gonna happen Posted Image

alternatively i could drop dhs put 300 lfe there and use extra tonnage for ammo and targeting which i have no crits for... so drop to 3 lpl which requires weaponry change.

Remember that when you up the engine to a 300 or above you'll be able to tuck another heat sink into it, you have more crits than you think.

#19 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:16 PM

View PostEscef, on 15 July 2017 - 02:14 PM, said:

Remember that when you up the engine to a 300 or above you'll be able to tuck another heat sink into it, you have more crits than you think.

too much for me to plan without builder but i remember i had some problems keeping 4 ll, uac20 and 300 lfe.

#20 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:21 PM

View Postdavoodoo, on 15 July 2017 - 02:16 PM, said:

too much for me to plan without builder but i remember i had some problems keeping 4 ll, uac20 and 300 lfe.

I suggest you give it another try come Tuesday afternoon. Remeber that you might have to yank something out and put it back in after to make it work (you don't have the crits for the LFE, but if you pull a heat sink from the RT you will, and then you can take the removed sink and tuck it into the engine once you boost teh rating to 300).

ANyway, yeah, it's worth playing with, even if your final build has the same guns but is a ton under weight or something. Even with a 300 rated engine a Stalker is slow as hell, a 275 must be rough. You probably get left behind the group in solo queue matches all the time.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users