9 replies to this topic

#1 N a p e s

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 16 July 2017 - 05:42 AM

Theres been threads concerning the post-PTS adjustments for almost each individual weapon type but nothing for MRMs and yet they received a projectile speed increase (pretty minor) and a spread reduction (about 30%... so pretty significant).

Think this will be enough to make them viable?

#2 Iron Hyena

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 221 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 05:45 AM

I fully expect MRM's, LBX's and RAC's to get another balance pass not long after the patch drops. They all need some love.

#3 Nik Reaper

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 05:55 AM

The MRM and ATM spread reduction is because in the PTS artemis affected them and it should not , they said that the PTS missiles were representative with artemis for the live update so they changed the stats and decoupled artemis.

Personally I don't think they will see too much use until they have a spread like the LBX has, as losing 1/4 of your missiles not hitting moving mechs at anything past pointblank and spreading on all components including legs will probly not be worth it.

#4 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 16 July 2017 - 06:00 AM

View PostNik Reaper, on 16 July 2017 - 05:55 AM, said:

The MRM and ATM spread reduction is because in the PTS artemis affected them and it should not , they said that the PTS missiles were representative with artemis for the live update so they changed the stats and decoupled artemis.

Personally I don't think they will see too much use until they have a spread like the LBX has, as losing 1/4 of your missiles not hitting moving mechs at anything past pointblank and spreading on all components including legs will probly not be worth it.

I do remember seeing something about that in the PTS notes... not sure if I'd tested them with artemis enabled or not but if what I saw was representative of what we'll be getting in the live server, they will be very disappointing.

#5 Wattila

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 06:01 AM

The MRM spread buff should be enough to make them viable, if not competitive. Artemis is ~33% IIRC so the end result from the spread buff is more or less zero, I believe.

Not a SRM replacement by any means, but the DPS per ton/slot/crit is pretty good, so they should find a home with hardpoint-starved mechs (with decent missile quirks). Tried a 2xMRM30 HBK-4SP on PTS, and it was already kind of usable. Should be a lot better now, so looking forward to it.

Edited by Wattila, 16 July 2017 - 06:07 AM.

#6 J0anna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 939 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 06:30 AM

Considering the nerf they got earlier (you could shoot and twist and they kept going out at your original direction), the spread reduction and velocity increase helps.

They are a good compliment to other weapon systems, able to be fired while lasers are on cooldown or UAC's are jammed. No matter how good your aim, quite a few missiles are going to miss, but they are very good at saturating an area with damage and forcing your opponent to move or get hit. They get better the closer you get but you'll never be able to concentrate damage at point blank range like SRM's can.

I'll be putting them on quite a few mechs....

#7 JadePanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 967 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 06:43 AM

they might be nice for a light mech that can sneak up and land a full salvo into the back of a mech

#8 QuantumButler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,534 posts
  • LocationTaiwan, One True China

Posted 16 July 2017 - 06:48 AM

View PostIron Hyena, on 16 July 2017 - 05:45 AM, said:

I fully expect MRM's, LBX's and RAC's to get another balance pass not long after the patch drops. They all need some love.

And by "not long" you mean "60-90 days".

#9 SirSoggyDog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 121 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 07:32 AM

I have no idea ghost heat limits would allow this, nor did I play the PTS, but a MRM40x4 Awesome or Stalker sounds somewhat amusing. After all, what could go wrong with 160 missiles?

To be honest, with the weird velocity and long duration, I see MRMs as being the sort of thing that will work well for boating. You can get 120 damage out of only three hardpoints with these things.

#10 J0anna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 939 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 08:40 AM

4xMRM 40's are 48 tons of weapons (before ammo) - I tried it on a stalker, but it was far too slow. I think the ghost heat was 2 for the 30's and 40's, but I might be recalling it incorrectly, nonetheless, throwing an extra MRM on a heavy or assault mech does help. The 3xMRM 20 Zeus was fun to play, lasers for a bit of poking, but unleashing the power fist and twisting away (can't do that part anymore) did surprise a few people....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users