Rac Screen Explosions Are Too Much

13 replies to this topic

#1 Nema Nabojiv

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts
  • LocationUA

Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:44 AM

Now, when you being shot in the face by this thing you literally cant see anything behing constant explosions.

Can we have it toned down? Because its not fun at all.

#2 Nebuchadnezzar2

• PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:48 AM

Bbuuutt it's the only thing that weapon is good at

#3 JadePanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 967 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:48 AM

do you even have to get shot in the face.. i think its more like get shot anywhere except the arms legs and back and ballistics bugger up your view..

#4 Nema Nabojiv

• 1,783 posts
  • LocationUA

Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:51 AM

View PostNebuchadnezzar2, on 19 July 2017 - 12:48 AM, said:

Bbuuutt it's the only thing that weapon is good at

Its kinda too good if you look at it from the other end of the barrel

#5 Nyte Wolf

• PipPip
  • The Hunter
  • 35 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 19 July 2017 - 01:01 AM

looks the same as getting shot by an ac-2 build. except it doesn't do as much damage as an ac 2 build.

#6 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 19 July 2017 - 01:12 AM

I think it should come as an AC2-esque mini-explosion with MG sparks.

#7 xengk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 19 July 2017 - 01:39 AM

This is why RAC are good suppression weapon for support mechs.

#8 FunkyT

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 139 posts
  • LocationAt the Front, overextending, with no support

Posted 19 July 2017 - 01:44 AM

You pretty much get the exact same effect when being rained on by cLRMs.

I know, there is plenty of counter options to LRMs. But when you push those missile boats over open terrain and they make a last ditch effort to get you away, you can't really avoid that.

Plus, as someone else already said:
It's a suppression weapon, it's supposed to drive the enemy back into cover. If not with it's rather impressive burst DPS, than with said screencoverage.
And removing that, or even toning it down, would make the weapon just so much worse, since the guy using it has to death stare you the entire time, presenting a beautiful target for all his enemies. If you (the guy he's shooting) would be able to return fire easily, the weapon would be way too risky to use.

#9 Nyte Wolf

• PipPip
  • The Hunter
  • 35 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 19 July 2017 - 02:03 AM

lots of face time required. which draws a lot of attention/risk.

#10 Nema Nabojiv

• 1,783 posts
  • LocationUA

Posted 19 July 2017 - 02:15 AM

View PostFunkyT, on 19 July 2017 - 01:44 AM, said:

And removing that, or even toning it down, would make the weapon just so much worse, since the guy using it has to death stare you the entire time, presenting a beautiful target for all his enemies.

It can be made good by changing other stats like projectile speed, no spin-up (thats cancer, make it stop please), whatever else.

I mean its a game all players suppose to enjoy playing. Being denied vision and not being able to do anything about it is just bad experience.

#11 FunkyT

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 139 posts
  • LocationAt the Front, overextending, with no support

Posted 19 July 2017 - 03:06 AM

View PostNema Nabojiv, on 19 July 2017 - 02:15 AM, said:

It can be made good by changing other stats like projectile speed, no spin-up (thats cancer, make it stop please), whatever else.

I mean its a game all players suppose to enjoy playing. Being denied vision and not being able to do anything about it is just bad experience.

Again, the same effect could always be achieved with other weapons. AC2 spam on a King Crab or UAC2 spam on a Direwhale, cLRMs hailing down on you...

This kind of view obstruction isn't new, it's just more obvious since you can do that with a single weapon now.

And changing the weapons stats to make it stronger wouldn't fix the fact, that you would still need to stare down your opponent the entire time.
As I said, the view obstruction is a safety mechanism for the one using the RACs, but it doesn't work on anyone else standing around the target. They can shoot the RAC guy just fine, since he's barely moving during that time.

I don't argue that getting hailed upon until you're blind is enjoyable, been on the recieving end of LRM hail often enough. It's just that I think the weapon needs this to give a fighting chance to the player, who's using up so much tonnage and crit space (and cooling) on this weapon.

Edited by FunkyT, 19 July 2017 - 03:06 AM.

#12 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 19 July 2017 - 03:50 AM

View Postxengk, on 19 July 2017 - 01:39 AM, said:

This is why RAC are good suppression dazzling weapons for support mechs.

u welcome

#13 Nema Nabojiv

• 1,783 posts
  • LocationUA

Posted 19 July 2017 - 03:52 AM

View PostFunkyT, on 19 July 2017 - 03:06 AM, said:

And changing the weapons stats to make it stronger wouldn't fix the fact, that you would still need to stare down your opponent the entire time.

Same can be applied to any laser vomit, yet they dont blind you despite the fact laser beam is actualy light and can burn human eyes out in real life. And to any reasonable amount of UAC dakka.
Again, RACs can be adjusted to have lower face-time by boosting damage / decreasing jam bar / removing spin up and still retain their vulcan-gun flavour.

As for lurms and ac2s - you basically have to dedicate your entire mech, and not any mech at that, to boating them to achieve the same level of screen blocking.
With racs - one ballistic slot and ten to fifteen tons and you suddenly have magic blindness spell

#14 Nema Nabojiv

• 1,783 posts
  • LocationUA

Posted 19 July 2017 - 03:55 AM

I also totally agree that ac2 and lrm5 effects are somewhat off, but with RACs its just got to a new level of badness.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users