Which Heavy To Buy?

31 replies to this topic

#1 hordes1ayer2

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 88 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 10:56 AM

I am looking to buy a new clan heavy. I already own an ebon jagur and like that it is omni. So which omni clan should I get?. Night Gyr, Timber or something else?

#2 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 07:15 PM

I'm a fan of the T-Wolf myself, very little you can't do in that mech.

The Hellbringer is a little more squishy but the ECM pays for it self.

#3 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,063 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:57 PM

I recommend the Hellbringer.

#4 Rurikk82

• Pip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 19 posts
  • Locationcalifornia

Posted 20 February 2017 - 12:25 AM

I highly recommend the Timberwolf. It's pretty much a Swiss army knife of mechs. I can say much on the Night Gyr due to I have yet to play them much atm. However the look very promising form the omnipod hardpoints and possible configurations

#5 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 01:15 AM

mad dog

#6 Moebius Pi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 211 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 02:10 AM

The Timberwolf will be fairly close to your EBJ, but with JJ capability on some pods and one ST and better hitboxes to roll damage. Same overall speed, similar loadouts, a better brawler, though of course if doing FP, more tonnage needy.

The Gyr pilots more like an Assault, especially before you get it elited (under the current system), slow, awkward, but pop-tart capable, good jumping ability to navigate terrain and very good hardpoint locations. It has some loadouts you just cannot do properly on the Timberwolf/Ebj, so it'll give you a more diverse feel for a heavy without struggling for multiple loadouts. Also, very good on hot maps due to its innate quirk. Likely your best bet unless you are too used to zooming around fast.

Hellbringer struggles for the diversity of loadouts, but -can- be setup to brawl if you really want to, long range setups or old mid range energy vomit or gauss + energy vomit. It rolls damage fairly well with its hitbox profile, and of course is ECM capable. Also, as fast as your EBJ. It is the same tonnage as the EBJ giving it a good spot in drop decks if you play FP, but it can be pretty easy to neuter without the loyalty omnipods available yet. Still a go-to mech for many, it's a solid workhorse for the tonnage, just not quite the swiss army knives Gyrs and Timbers are.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother with the other Clan Omnimech heavies at this time. They tend to be very limited, niche builds that don't give you many options or (for now) are very loyalty pod dependent. Post skill tree if they retain that you only need one mech to master, they'll be more worthwhile for those occasions. Right now, you're better off with something you can custom tailor to your needs and playstyle.

Mad dogs are crazy niche builds with awful hitboxes and a lack of hardpoint options to really make them sing, even if they are weight savers compared to even EBJ and HBR. You'll likely just get frustrated and start spamming Streaks or *shudder* LRMs when you can't get some good SRM pushing action going (which the Timber does better). Really, they're a tonnage saver srm boat right now, not much else.

The Summoner can do an SRM brawling loadout (though it's about as used as seeing Sasquatch in the woods), moves faster than the other main heavies (by a few kph, nothing blazing) but really shines (again) with Loyalty, or Loyalty + Hero omnipods to have the high chest energy mounts, and struggles without them to be relevant. It's a very, very effective dual ERPPC poptart regardless of nerfs if you have those combined with the speed and jump jets. Folks used to do a more niche Guass + PPC poptart on it as well, or UAC10s and med lasers... but it really struggles for punchy builds that size up with its limitations. I love them, but right now their "what does it do better than similar omnis" is a fast moving, quirked, heat efficient 2xERPPC with a nice TCOMP; you'll find the other loadouts (gauss ppc, srm splat) just run better on Timbers or Gyrs (the former which can do 2 erppc 1x gauss, and the latter with dual gauss 1 erppc) if you don't weigh quirks in IMHO.

Edited by Moebius Pi, 20 February 2017 - 02:11 AM.

#7 Hunter Tseng

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 100 posts
  • LocationIn the pines where the gauss rifle always shines... And doesn't explode :P

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:32 AM

Personally I feel in the current meta the Night Gyr is more powerful than the Timby.
The dual gauss is so cool running, if you have a steady hand and good aim you can just keep on delivering death blow after death blow without pause.
Or you can boat uac 2, I just boat up to 5 and use the extra weight saving for ammo and just mindlessly spit lead down range and racked those dmg from 900mtrs out.
But then again, brawling the Timber Wolf still edges the Night Gyr... its faster, turns faster and twist faster.
The dual peep gauss Timby is still powerful, but the heat cap of firing dual peeps can make the Timby feels rather limiting and the low mount gauss sometimes frustating.
All in all, both of them are still very powerful clan heavy. They are both still in my opinion the top 2, but if you can aim and timed your shots well, the Night Gyr is stronger :)

#8 Doctor Dinosaur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 271 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:22 AM

I'm a big fan of the Hellbringer, but I got that sweet right torso of the loyalty variant which helps a lot, not sure how well it performs without.
It's decently fast and has ECM. If you like working the corners and don't like brawling it might be the right mech for you.

If you prefer jumpjets over ECM then take the Timber Wolf. Timber has that "kill me first" effect though, kind of an anti-ECM.

Everything the light touches...

Edited by Doctor Dinosaur, 20 February 2017 - 04:26 AM.

#9 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 05:22 AM

I think Night Gyr or Hellbringer.

#10 invernomuto

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 22 February 2017 - 05:55 AM

I have both Timberwolf and Night Gyr and while you have great builds with the NG, I still prefer the TBW, it's more versatile and faster.

#11 Shu Horus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 133 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:16 AM

Would add the Summoner as an option. Especially if you are not into vomit-brawling. Up to now, the most agile heavy Mech around (might change with the implementation of the new Skill System).
Yes, in aspects of maneuverabilty even the Linebacker takes only second place, even if it can run faster.
It has some limits in hardpoint numbers, but some insane speed and moveability tweaks. It does move more like a 40 ton Mech than a 70 ton which it is. The only thing this machine cannot do is: boating.

Otherwise, I would prefer the Timberwolf anytime over the Night Gyr. The Night Gyr is quite the opposite to the Summoner's aspects of moving. It moveslike a Clan Assault, has a Loadout comparable to the lesser ton Assaults but lacks their endurance.
The Timby has more options to be fit, Movement in line with the Clan Heavies (Like Ebon Jag, Hellbringer etc.) an the options for adding jump jets.

Edited by Shu Horus, 22 February 2017 - 07:19 AM.

#12 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:06 PM

Timberwolf is a priority target but so is the Night Gyr imo. Both mechs carry too much fire power to be ignored.

It's not like the other team is going to ignore the Hellbring, "Kill the ECM mech!" is a common enough request on my PUG drops.

#13 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:42 PM

View Posthordes1ayer2, on 19 February 2017 - 10:56 AM, said:

I am looking to buy a new clan heavy. I already own an ebon jagur and like that it is omni. So which omni clan should I get?. Night Gyr, Timber or something else?

My question to you would be, what are you expecting the mech to do?

Between the two you have offered, The Timberwolf will act very close to an Ebon, but it can take jump if you wish (those S pods). It will have a little more health, and the same to a little less tonnage to work on for weapons. It is heavier, so if weight is an issue...

The Night Gyr on the other hand will be something different. It's slower, but has a lot of pod space to work with. It is a rather powerful mech, able to take a lot of different loadouts. I've seen triple LBx10s and medium lasers on these with good effects. I've seen them use as LRM platforms (probably not their strong suit). They also come with JJs, which help with maneuverability (something you don't have with the Ebon). Only problem is, it's rather slow for a Clan mech. Means positioning will be a little more important than with those faster choices.

As for other selections, you have the Mad Dog as an option. It's a reasonable mech, strong with it's missiles, but able to do well with other loadouts. Often referred to as "the poor man's Timberwolf" in lore. In this game, it's a different styled mech.

The Hellbringer also comes up, as an ECM heavy. I personally have not had much luck with these myself, but other people swear by them... Strong with their laser builds, but capable of taking some ballistics if desired. Not much use as a missile platform though, impart because the missiles increase it's hit boxes poorly.

If you are willing to wait, the Linebacker will be out for C-bill soon. It's a very fast heavy, acting almost like a medium or even a slower light mech. It would be different than the Ebon drastically, and specializes in hit and run tactics. It's best configuration so far has been 2 ERPPCs from what I've found, or a ton of SRMs. Not to say that other builds aren't possible though. It is a rather tough mech for it's tonnage, with reasonable hot boxes and great agility. Just very little pod space to work with is it's largest flaw.

In the end, the choice is yours. There seems to be no bad choices and comes down to how you intent to use them.

#14 hordes1ayer2

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 88 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 04:58 PM

View PostTesunie, on 22 February 2017 - 12:42 PM, said:

My question to you would be, what are you expecting the mech to do?

Between the two you have offered, The Timberwolf will act very close to an Ebon, but it can take jump if you wish (those S pods). It will have a little more health, and the same to a little less tonnage to work on for weapons. It is heavier, so if weight is an issue...

The Night Gyr on the other hand will be something different. It's slower, but has a lot of pod space to work with. It is a rather powerful mech, able to take a lot of different loadouts. I've seen triple LBx10s and medium lasers on these with good effects. I've seen them use as LRM platforms (probably not their strong suit). They also come with JJs, which help with maneuverability (something you don't have with the Ebon). Only problem is, it's rather slow for a Clan mech. Means positioning will be a little more important than with those faster choices.

As for other selections, you have the Mad Dog as an option. It's a reasonable mech, strong with it's missiles, but able to do well with other loadouts. Often referred to as "the poor man's Timberwolf" in lore. In this game, it's a different styled mech.

The Hellbringer also comes up, as an ECM heavy. I personally have not had much luck with these myself, but other people swear by them... Strong with their laser builds, but capable of taking some ballistics if desired. Not much use as a missile platform though, impart because the missiles increase it's hit boxes poorly.

If you are willing to wait, the Linebacker will be out for C-bill soon. It's a very fast heavy, acting almost like a medium or even a slower light mech. It would be different than the Ebon drastically, and specializes in hit and run tactics. It's best configuration so far has been 2 ERPPCs from what I've found, or a ton of SRMs. Not to say that other builds aren't possible though. It is a rather tough mech for it's tonnage, with reasonable hot boxes and great agility. Just very little pod space to work with is it's largest flaw.

In the end, the choice is yours. There seems to be no bad choices and comes down to how you intent to use them.

Thanks for the info! I really love ballistics and all of the dakka possible. After reading yours I think I have decided on a Night Gyr. There are plenty of options especially ballistic and some LRMs MAYBE. Plus I already have a brawling mech, the ebon and the timberwolf is just too close to it. I know I should get a timber for brawling but having an ultra20, some SRMS and a LPL or MPL is sooo nice. THANK YOU ALL FOR WHO COMMENTED!

#15 Nori Silverrage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 332 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 11:37 AM

I got all the Clan heavies worth having (Ebon, Hellbringer, Timby and Night Gyr). Honestly they are all good. The Ebon probably has the biggest range of loadouts as you can bring anything. The Timby is pretty close though and gets JJs if wanted.
Hell Bringer is generally a energy boat. My favorite build for it is 6 MPLs. ECM lets you get close noticed and 6 MPLs will core out a mech really fast.

Night Gyr doesn't do energy really. Not enough space for DHS. But it does dakka and gauss better than any other clan mech not counting the Kodiak and can do mixed builds pretty well.

I see you picked the Night Gyr. Good choice, it probably feels and play quite different vs the Ebon. Hopefully you enjoy it.

Edited by Nori Silverrage, 03 March 2017 - 11:38 AM.

#16 Black Lanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Lanner
  • The Lanner
  • 200 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:44 AM

There have been some solid suggestions here.

Basically, if you want a confused Medium, get the Linbacker.

For the Line Heavys... The TW and EJ are fantastic, but easy to pick apart
Missle Meta is the Maddog
The Summoner is a Poptart meta, but, the NG is better... more on that later
The Hellbringer meta is lasers and ECM

And the Night Gry... My personal favorite, who pretends to be an Assault with a solid mix load meta, The Orion IIC also pretends to be an Assault with it's current quirks, but few people seem to really get into it

As far as the I.S. Heavys go, I really only recommend the Marauder 3R and Bounty Hunter... The Orion is a pocket Atlas, and works reasonably well, but that is a uber specific build. Others will recommend other 'Mechs, but I personally have a difficult time running other I.S. 'Mech's, so, play with the trial 'mechs and, ultimately, run what works for you.

Edited by Black Lanner, 05 March 2017 - 12:46 AM.

#17 Randall Flagg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 590 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 09:19 PM

Night Gyr is the best clan heavy by a lot.

Night Gyr > Hellbringer > Timber > Ebon Jaguar

#18 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 05 March 2017 - 09:48 PM

View PostSKINLESS, on 05 March 2017 - 09:19 PM, said:

Night Gyr is the best clan heavy by a lot.

Night Gyr > Hellbringer > Timber > Ebon Jaguar

Arguments can be made against this statement. For me, the Linebacker has been a great heavy as well as the Summoner. But I've only had mediocre results with the Ebon Jaguar and Hellbringer.

The Night Gyr is a great heavy if you want firepower over mobility but retaining some moderate amounts of agility from the JJs. The Timberwolf is good if your want flexibility with durability, as it can take many different loadouts and can even invest limited amounts of tonnage to JJ, without being stuck with them permanently. The Ebon is good for mobility with firepower, but falls a little behind on durability when compared to the Timberwolf (it's closest comparison).

Basically, it depends upon what you want to do and how you use the mech. The Night Gyr is still very good, but it is probably more "on par" with the Ebon and Timber more than actually exceeding it. It does things a little differently.

#19 AncientRaig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 584 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 09:48 PM

The TBR, HBR, and all of those others are perfectly good mechs to pick up. They can fit the meta any way you slice them fairly well and have plenty of cookie cutter builds you can slap on and go into battle with in an instant. I carry a slight bias towards the TBR because I'm a Mechnerd and anyone who's a long-time fan of the series either loves or hates that thing with a burning passion. However, if I may, I would like to raise the humble Summoner up to the table for a moment. As insane as it sounds, it's my hands-down favorite clan heavy mech as of this date. If you have the loyalty mechs (if you don't I think they're going on sale soon) the SMN-M is a fantastic machine right out of the box as long as you switch out that SSRM6 for a standard SRM6, the SMN-F is an enjoyable UAC5 dakka machine, and I'm eying the SMN-D because a UAC20 brawler sounds fun. It has a few issues, such as fixed JJs, few hardpoints, and even fewer CT hardpoints, but the arms aren't as low-slung as you might be lead to believe and having 5 JJs makes pop tarting a viable option. It's not popular, but the ability to pull off solid SMN games regularly is a point of pride in this community. Or at least it used to, I don't know if the Thundernips build has changed things much since I avoid it like the plague (Because I'm bad with PPC only builds).

#20 Calebos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:00 AM

Hellbringer and Linebacker. Without any doubt.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users