Who the flip are Wolf's Dragoons? Theories proposed and debunked.

62 replies to this topic

#21 Kip Wilson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 103 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon USA

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:49 PM

If you ask me Wolf's Dragoons was just some two-bit merc outfit that stumbled upon some lost Castle Brian out in the Periphery and are using that vast fortune they found to bankroll Jamie's ego trip. :)

#22 guardian wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,965 posts
  • LocationOn Barcelona where the crap is about to hit the fan.

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:20 AM

Watch it Kip

#23 Fox5859

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:26 PM

that dragoons are aliens sounds like the biggest lie ive herd i think they are all elite mechwarriors and one day they found a lost star league station filled with all kinds off goods and mechs. and a mech factory and since then they have been training there men as high skilled mech warriors.

#24 Charles Martel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationQuentin. Wish you were here Hanse?

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:38 PM

I have suspicion that they have something to do with the SLDF in exile. For good or ill, I don't know, but I'm not inclined to be an optimist.

#25 Vexgrave Lars

Former Dictionary

• Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationParticle and Wave

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:53 PM

Its simple, they are the remains of the Minnesota tribe:331... found a Brian Cache in the Periphery and their leaders were raised by wolves. Com'on don't You people pay attention?

#26 Peace Possum

• PipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 56 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC, USA, Terra

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:58 PM

GET YOUR HEADS OUT OF THE EXHAUST PORTS SHEEPLE ITS OBVIOUS THAT THERE A BUNCH OF FILTHY KURITAN SPYS TRYING TO STEAL BACK ARE PLANETS BECAUSE THAT BLAKE DAMNED OLD SNAKE TAKASHI WANTS TO RULE FOREVER INSTEAD OF LETTING TEDDY TAKE OVER
HONESTLY IM SURPRISED THOSE DRAGOON MECH-HUMPERS HAVENT SET OFF A BUNCH OF NUKES ON RASALHAGUE VI TO KILL THE MAGNUSSON FAMILY. DONT BELIEVE COMSTARS LIES, DONT DRINK THE WATER

[Disclaimer: All grammatical and spelling errors are intended to mock certain real-world parties unrelated to BattleTech and add flavor to this topic]

#27 guardian wolf

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:24 AM

Okay, now that is not even close, because why did we fight them on Misery.

#28 Captain Nice HD

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationTaurian Concordat

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:54 PM

Did anyone else notice that the Dragoons mysteriously replaced all of their combat losses within ten months of capturing New Aragorn during their first tour with the FedRats? Or after getting their butts handed to them on Hesperus II while working for the Eagles, they just disappered for a year only to return at full strength? Of course, after being decimated in the Fourth Succession War they took a different approach to replacing their losses, even contracting the Concordat's own Pinard Protectorates Limited to develop and manufacture their Plainsman hovertank. Gives some credence to the official 'found a LosTech cache' story, since if it is true then the cache has almost certainly been emptied by this point.

On the other hand, there is an awful lot of circumstantial evidence suggesting a link between the Dragoons and the SLDF, if nothing absolutely concrete. Arriving near where the Exodus Fleet departed, the vintage Star League hardware, the high level of professionalism and military acumen, Black Widow Company being commanded by one Natasha Kerensky - if I were to parody the SLDF exiles returning to the Inner Sphere, the Dragoons aren't far off from how I'd do it, and my version only differs in the number of nuclear weapons involved.

I will say this about the Dragoons if they are a scouting force, for the SLDF exiles or otherwise: By refusing to ever renew their standard four-year contracts, moving 'clockwise' around the Inner Sphere from one employer to the next, and insisting that they NOT be deployed to fight against their employer immediately previous... they're ensured that they've fought FOR and AGAINST every Successor State in a relatively short period of time. A very shrewd method of gaining intelligence across the entire Inner Sphere; if that was, in fact, the aim. They only made an exception during the Fourth Succession War because they'd already fought against the Cappies on the FedRats' behalf once before, and Colonel Wolf had a major score to settle with the Snakes after Misery.

In the realm of really crazy tinfoil hat theories, though, try this one out for size: An acquaintance of mine is absolutely convinced that Cranston Snord wasn't kicked out of the Dragoons, but that he was deliberately detached to hunt down LosTech caches on the Dragoon's behalf. Snord's well-known propensity for collecting historical artifacts being the cover for both his mission and his expulsion from the Dragoon's ranks. I don't know if there is any truth to this, but I DO know that the Elsies hired Snord to do a full planetary survey of Outreach when the Dragoons specifically asked the world as payment for services rendered. Snord must have given a fairly innocuous report, or otherwise Hanse would have almost certainly denied their request. However, it should be noted that almost immediately after settling in, the Dragoons 'discovered' and repaired a large number of Star League manufacturing facilities that Snord had apparently somehow failed to notice or report. Food for thought.

#29 Righ

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 63 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

Why does everyone think they're some lost Alien race or from the future or some other horse manure? Just another bunch of mercs. Can't say they aren't some of the best though. I've been trying to get my credentials though to them for awhile now. You'd think 12 kills in a three month campaign on a place like New Ivaarson would be enough to get in with them. Just hoping I can find someone to pull some strings for me.

Edited by Righ, 27 March 2012 - 08:02 PM.

#30 MacabreDerek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationManitoba

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:12 AM

Look, they bleed just like everyone else, and I very much doubt they're 'aliens'. My money is some pirate grew a concience or some other such business, or more likely, they decided to rake in the c-bills hand over fist when they found some lost tech. At best, they're pirate scum that just have some great tech and the ~Ahem~ Gyros to use it.

#31 guardian wolf

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:45 AM

YOU COMPARE US TO PIRATES?!?! I take extreme offense to that sir, we are so much more honorable, you must not have met us in the field of battle.

#32 DarkBazerker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 259 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWaffle House

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:56 AM

I'm not affraid of Dragoons but I rather not fight them if i have a choice. If I had to fight them we both probbly end up dead and the dead dont get payed so no thank you.

#33 MacabreDerek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationManitoba

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:07 AM

View Postguardian wolf, on 29 March 2012 - 10:45 AM, said:

YOU COMPARE US TO PIRATES?!?! I take extreme offense to that sir, we are so much more honorable, you must not have met us in the field of battle.

When it comes to mech piloting, it comes down to who finishes their objective, and who's dead. That you would make up some kind of honour system and say that makes you one step up is rediculous. You're the guys with the guns, that's all there is, you make the rules you want to play by, but in the end, it comes down to finishing the contract. That you have the tech to play by those rules you came up with in the land of make-believe is just proof of your advanced guns. In the end, you're just like the rest of us, you play by your own rules, and try not to get shot at the end. So yea, I compared you to delusional pirates.

#34 DarkBazerker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 259 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWaffle House

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:31 AM

View PostMacabreDerek, on 29 March 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

When it comes to mech piloting, it comes down to who finishes their objective, and who's dead. That you would make up some kind of honour system and say that makes you one step up is rediculous. You're the guys with the guns, that's all there is, you make the rules you want to play by, but in the end, it comes down to finishing the contract. That you have the tech to play by those rules you came up with in the land of make-believe is just proof of your advanced guns. In the end, you're just like the rest of us, you play by your own rules, and try not to get shot at the end. So yea, I compared you to delusional pirates.

he has a point.

#35 guardian wolf

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:13 PM

Yes, well my point was that if you while fighting against us, and you seek retreat (and this is omitting the fact that you did something to **** us off *looks at Steiner* Yes, I'm talking about you) then I know that my unit, and I will let you live, so you can fight another day. We fight trying to avoid civilian casualties, and we hope that it is our training, strength, and our battlefield tactics that win the day, not underhanded tactics, or overwhelming numbers.

#36 MacabreDerek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationManitoba

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:06 PM

View Postguardian wolf, on 29 March 2012 - 12:13 PM, said:

Yes, well my point was that if you while fighting against us, and you seek retreat (and this is omitting the fact that you did something to **** us off *looks at Steiner* Yes, I'm talking about you) then I know that my unit, and I will let you live, so you can fight another day. We fight trying to avoid civilian casualties, and we hope that it is our training, strength, and our battlefield tactics that win the day, not underhanded tactics, or overwhelming numbers.

And that's fine by me if it means another way to keep my backside in one piece, doesnt slice any off my back. If there's a few c-bills for it, I'd gladly do the same for you, professional curtosy and all. I'm sure you'll regale us with the tales of the origins of Wolf's Dragoons around a camp fire some night, until ya wanna spill the awnser, I'll just keep you guys under the big-guns department. Good hunting

((If at any point this is going too far Guardian, let me know. I just think it would be interesting to see your reaction the the merc I have in my head. Good awnsers so far BTW :unsure: ))

#37 guardian wolf

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:28 PM

(Well according to my RP character's bio, he wouldn't know as he was raised as an orphan taken in. He grew up inside the Dragoons, and wasn't an original. So other than that, I think this is going well.)

You'd do well not to shoot those guns, as I would hate to have to hunt you down. As for the tales of origins, I'm afraid I'd have to disappoint you, as I don't know where we go to get our reinforcements, though I keep hearing about these "resupply runs" from my CO, so, sorry. But I'm sure we could sit either around a campfire, or in a bar, whichever you prefer, and tell tales of valor in the field. And good hunting to you as well Macabre.

Edited by guardian wolf, 29 March 2012 - 04:45 PM.

#38 Gunnarr

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:39 PM

They're aliens I tell ya! All this 'lostech' and pretendin to look like returned SLDF stuff is just a way to distract us from who and what they really are. The hoppin employers is their way of seedin the galaxy with their unholy spawn! I for one have started burying mechs and supplies on various worlds here in the FRR in order to prepare myself for the day when the alien uprising begins.

*puts on a tinfoil hat*

I suggest all of you prepare as well. It's only a matter of time.

#39 guardian wolf

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:44 PM

XD That's just gross. I can assure you that I'm plenty human.

#40 MacabreDerek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationManitoba

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:51 PM

((Yea, I figured as much. Wish I would have had the pleasure of RPing you with the actual character I'd like to RP, but as it stands, I thought this might be an interesting perspective to see where it went. ))

Ha! Wouldn't dream of it. Hey, you know my name, glad to know reputation carries. Just figure I'd throw my two c-bills in to the mix, besides, ya just made a new friend now Wolf. I'll try to word my contracts for 'spacial choice' targets, because I would hate to have a contract where I'd have to kill ya. But hey, if 'aliens' ever do show up, I am sure you'll be the first to fight along side 'the valiant warriors of the inner sphere'.

And if the price is right, I'll be right along side with ya.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users