Need Help With Stealth Gameplay

9 replies to this topic

#1 Mumuharra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:28 AM

As I said, I need some advices how to play the stealth game.
I equipped a Raven 3LC and a Atlas DDC mit stealth armor but failed completely.
Has anyone used the stealth armor successfully and give me some hints?
(By the way, both mechs are under my best performers over the last 3 years. Just gathering a little dust during the last month).

Thanks

Edited by Mumuharra, 21 July 2017 - 07:29 AM.

#2 Coolant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:01 AM

I don't have any advice so you can skip me OP. However, I would like to talk about stealth armor. I really was looking forward to it, but realized that with zero heat dissipation I won't be able to brawl with it, and I hate toggling things on and off. I use a combo of a mouse and gamepad and have a limited number of buttons to work with, so can't add another toggle switch. And, brawling is my favorite form of combat and i would overheat after a few seconds in close combat, so I probably won't use stealth armor, might not even try it, although that might change.

I do wish you good luck, hope it works out, and if you do find a good use for stealth armor or a good config please share it.

Edited by Coolant, 21 July 2017 - 08:02 AM.

#3 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:04 AM

The best way to use stealth armor is to not use it at all.

#4 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:41 AM

I really don't see much use for it to be honest. I mean if it didn't require you be in a ECM capable mech, then I could see it being valuable to use just so you could toggle it on to keep your mech from being easily spotted and engaged with LRMs before you are actually in range to do something about it yourself. Also it would have been great as a toggle to remove radar locks and prevent LRM rain when your caught in the open. It would have been worth the critical costs for that alone in alot of cases. However I realize that would probably make it OP.

As is however, the only benefit you get from it is if your within 200m of the enemy because ECM will prevent radar locks past that and if your at 200m from the enemy, your going to be needing to fire your weapons so the no heat dissipation kind of makes that possible benefit useless. So I guess the short answer is as Kapusta11 put it, not use it at all.

#5 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:12 AM

There is no true stealth. There is only surprise, the unexpected, and the "target spotted" feature capable of showing your grid and minimap location through ECM and stealth armor.

#6 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:23 AM

View PostMumuharra, on 21 July 2017 - 07:28 AM, said:

As I said, I need some advices how to play the stealth game.
I equipped a Raven 3LC and a Atlas DDC mit stealth armor but failed completely.
Has anyone used the stealth armor successfully and give me some hints?
(By the way, both mechs are under my best performers over the last 3 years. Just gathering a little dust during the last month).

Thanks

@OP, the most important thing is, with a raven or similar sniper, is to keep moving. As soon as you *think* someone *may* have figured out where your shots came from you have got to move. take a look here, these tactics are just as valid in this game as they were in real war.

Now, for the DDC it is NOT a stealth mech. There is NO way to be sealthy in that mech. ECM on the DDC is just to provide you a little more freedom from the LRM spam. Using Stealth armor on a DDC would really cripple your firepower -- and on that mech you should be running big-as-you-can-get weapons...it is not stealth.

For the raven, its movement and positioning. You are always trying to figure out where an enemy back is going to be, getting in position to shoot the back then moving to your next position where you can get a clean shot. From the standpoint of effort, successfully playing a raven or similar requires a lot of work. Probably that is why most opt for a jump-jetting gauss or ppc mech to fire from behind your team-mates (its easier to do). Just remember, that the best way to play an ECM sniper mech is to pretend you don't have ECM.

Finally, stealth armor.... I have tried it several times and UNLESS you are already a GREAT stealth-mech player you are going to have a VERY hard time with it... you will lose your little red doritos and if you aren't aware of your position you will find yourself bumping into enemies. It adds heat, which makes it not very good for energy loaded mechs. Stealth armor is one of those additions that works well in about 1% of your engagements and provides no, or negative benefits in the other 99%. One mech where I have used it effectively is in the light gauss phx-1b.

Edited by nehebkau, 21 July 2017 - 10:26 AM.

#7 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:11 AM

I see stealth armor as a very high skill element. I'm serious. The only way I think someone can be really effective with it is to lone wolf/Rambo and then be a snipper/ambusher away from the rest of the team. That is very high risk, and rarely pays off unless you know the maps like the back of your hand and have the discipline to hide and poke, while never staying in one place. Doing that, while keeping an eye out for sneaky sobs trying to hunt you down, while managing heat when you "think" no one has you spotted, etc. doesn't look like something your average player is going to pull off.

For my terribad self, I think the only mech I might try this in would be something with a gauss and something that is fairly fast, so that I don't have to worry about heat and stay out of range so I can get back to the group if I do get spotted.

#8 stealthraccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:24 AM

It isn't for brawling, it is for a sneak attack - probably best engaged when you are bugging OUT after a bombing run vs diving into the fray. Not so useful while sniping unless you know they can target you with unholy amounts of lurm rain.

As was mentioned, use to break target locks, probably not going to be much use if you are slow and easily spotted (like an Atlas).

Edited by stealthraccoon, 21 July 2017 - 11:26 AM.

#9 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:12 PM

this Palce and Tonnage for Weapons ,Ammo and DHS bring more as a toy thats you not can make invisible for the eyes,,,when im seeing a little pixel in the edge of my HUD 90° in 1000m and no Mate of the Minimap , im shooting ot thisThing...my eyes and my Minimpa is the Factor ,not Gimmicks

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 21 July 2017 - 09:15 PM.

#10 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:12 PM

Basically just use stealth armor to make trades that you'd normally take return fire on. Go into stealth, peek up over a hill, fire the biggest alpha you can fit onto the thing without overheating, get back behind cover, turn off stealth, move to another spot and repeat.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users