Visual Mess

7 replies to this topic

#1 Appuagab

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 319 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 02:39 PM

Although the map's structure is more or less ok (in comparison to other maps at least), it gets totally ruined by the amount of visual clutter. It's not «Forest Colony», it's more like «Lowest Quality Compression JPEG Trees Sprites Colony».

If it's supposed to be played in heat vision only (which is meh because it totally hides surroundings' geometry) then why wasting effort on all these fancy destructible trees?

Previous Forest Colony, although its geography was much less balanced (remember suicide spot near the pipes?), was more playable just because I could see it.

Just remake it into Forest Colony Snow and remove the «summer» version.

Edited by Appuagab, 22 July 2017 - 02:40 PM.

#2 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:48 AM

It is realy a matter of how large your screen and your computer power is.
Also your Vid settings make for a great difference in beeing able to see stuff on that map.
Gamma, brightness, contrast.....just play with it on Forest colony testing grounds.

#3 D E S D E N O V A

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 01:57 PM

I agree: It's a beautiful map and I love the terrain.

But I find it virtually impossible to see anything I'm shooting at, (with or without thermal.)

I do find it helpful to run around a bit in the early match, knocking down enough trees to gain some visibility.

#4 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 01 January 2018 - 10:36 PM

View PostAppuagab, on 22 July 2017 - 02:39 PM, said:

Or don't remove the summer version... I like the idea of summer/winter versions of all moderate-climate maps.

#5 PFC Carsten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 02 January 2018 - 02:08 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 25 July 2017 - 12:48 AM, said:

Also your Vid settings make for a great difference in beeing able to see stuff on that map.
Gamma, brightness, contrast.....just play with it on Forest colony testing grounds.

While this being true, I think it's a sign of bad game/map design if you get advantages from those kinds of adjustments. For example, cranking up those three gives you better visibility than night vision or thermal, because you can see further out. Defeats the purpose of those in-game mechanics. And no, the in-game controls for gamma and brightness are there in order to normalize out monitor differences.

#6 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 31 January 2018 - 02:20 PM

View PostAppuagab, on 22 July 2017 - 02:39 PM, said:

Although the map's structure is more or less ok (in comparison to other maps at least), it gets totally ruined by the amount of visual clutter. It's not «Forest Colony», it's more like «Lowest Quality Compression JPEG Trees Sprites Colony».

If it's supposed to be played in heat vision only (which is meh because it totally hides surroundings' geometry) then why wasting effort on all these fancy destructible trees?

Previous Forest Colony, although its geography was much less balanced (remember suicide spot near the pipes?), was more playable just because I could see it.

View PostD E S D E N O V A, on 01 January 2018 - 01:57 PM, said:

I agree: It's a beautiful map and I love the terrain.

But I find it virtually impossible to see anything I'm shooting at, (with or without thermal.)

I do find it helpful to run around a bit in the early match, knocking down enough trees to gain some visibility.

I hate this map. It makes me lament the passing of the old map.

#7 VeeOt Dragon

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 31 January 2018 - 11:45 PM

though aesthetically I like this map it is a pain in the proverbial *** when it comes to certain weapons. the PPC in particular suffers badly since every little leaf causes it to pop as if it hit a wall. sad thing is that these hits don't even destroy the destructible trees they hit just stops it as if its a wall. then again PPCs are just really back with their hit detection.

#8 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 01 February 2018 - 04:19 PM

It would be a better winter map. No leaves to block visuals or weapons fire.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users