26 replies to this topic

#1 NocturnalBeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 23 July 2017 - 02:12 PM

And bad for the unseen Mechs that I have paid for.

With the new Robotech movie underway, Harmony Gold is cracking down.

https://www.unitedst...242820/1-0.html

Edited by Ed Steele, 23 July 2017 - 02:12 PM.

#2 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 23 July 2017 - 02:37 PM

Bad? Only in the world of lawyers - seriously... they compare the Atlas with the Crusader?
The compare 30 year old line arts with a modern concept with existing 3d models?

#3 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 02:48 PM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 23 July 2017 - 02:37 PM, said:

Bad? Only in the world of lawyers - seriously... they compare the Atlas with the Crusader?
The compare 30 year old line arts with a modern concept with existing 3d models?

It depends on if the jury agrees that they are "derivative" works or not. This could end up with just the Macross unseen removed or if all BATTLEMECHS are considered "derivative" it would be bad for all Mech - based games.

#4 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:34 PM

That is the problem - a derivate is everything - heck even speach is a derivate of something
I can say that the glaug pods are derivates of the War of the World Tri pods - they even have the same name Pods.
Maybe they should sue Apple because of pod.

#5 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:41 PM

PGI is a Canadian company I don't think they have anything to worry about

#6 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:32 PM

View PostDavegt27, on 23 July 2017 - 08:41 PM, said:

They do if it involves international copyrights. Also, HBS licenses the Mech models and skins from PGI and HBS is a US company.

View PostKarl Streiger, on 23 July 2017 - 08:34 PM, said:

That is the problem - a derivate is everything - heck even speach is a derivate of something
I can say that the glaug pods are derivates of the War of the World Tri pods - they even have the same name Pods.
Maybe they should sue Apple because of pod.

They are going after the low hanging fruit.

#7 Bonzai VI

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 170 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 10:03 PM

Are you serious... The Archer and that Destroid Spartan. Oh no it's a humanoid that has a missile pod on each torso. And it has Arms. AND EVEN LEGS.

The Warhammer and that Destroid Tomahawk don't even look-a-like...

And that whole calling Battlemechs "Robotwarriors" tilts me to no end xD

Japanese style Robots are as different to western Mechs as one could possibly imagine... There seriously shouldn't be a way that they get any kind of money... But then again i don't really know how (in america at least) law works and the lawyers decide.

I can just hope^^

#8 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 23 July 2017 - 10:30 PM

Ohh, someone is short of money again?

#9 TheMundaneYesYes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 133 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 10:47 PM

I want to hear what PGI and Harebrained intend to do about this, while I badly want to see them push this I do not think they have the money for a legal fight.

If they win this then it could be the end for battle tech because at that point what is to stop them?

#10 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:01 AM

Not good. I thought that PGI had bought the rights to use these and the fight was over.

#11 Mad Porthos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 481 posts
  • LocationChicago, Illinois

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:33 AM

HG Patent Trolls at it again.

#12 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:17 AM

View PostKalimaster, on 24 July 2017 - 08:01 AM, said:

Not good. I thought that PGI had bought the rights to use these and the fight was over.

Apparently that is not accurate if you read the court documents.

#13 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,581 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:55 AM

These guys are so stupid. They are comparing a Locust to an Officer Pod, an Atlas to an Armed Valkyrie, and a Shadow Hawk to a regular Valkyrie. The Locust (Ostall) and Shadow Hawk (Dougram) are from the Dougram and Crusher Joe series (which the creators gave PGI the go ahead to use) and the Atlas was there since BattleTech's inception. Harmony Gold? More like Hapless Goons.

Edited by Will9761, 24 July 2017 - 12:22 PM.

#14 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:41 PM

View PostWill9761, on 24 July 2017 - 11:55 AM, said:

These guys are so stupid. They are comparing a Locust to an Officer Pod, an Atlas to an Armed Valkyrie, and a Shadow Hawk to a regular Valkyrie. The Locust (Ostall) and Shadow Hawk (Dougram) are from the Dougram and Crusher Joe series (which the creators gave PGI the go ahead to use) and the Atlas was there since BattleTech's inception. Harmony Gold? More like Hapless Goons.

They are stretching to try and get a judgement that would show that any bipedal "warrior robot" is a "derivative" of the Macross / Robotech Mecha. If they are successful, then that would kill BATTLETECH and MWO.

#15 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:56 PM

I see idiots on the pile of bird excrement known as MWO Outreach on Reddit ignorantly hoping that PGI will get "rekt" by this lawsuit, apparently without understanding the possible far-reaching ramafications of how this lawsuit may effect BATTLETECH as a whole.

#16 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:49 PM

Looks like all of the Macross "unseen" Mechs we're removed from Catalyst's newly released TRO Succession Wars: http://bg.battletech...?topic=58142.0. Maybe a settlement is in the works?

Personally, I would not spend any more time or resources on your Warhammers, Marauders, Marader IICs, Archers or Phoenix Hawks.

Edited by Ed Steele, 24 July 2017 - 03:49 PM.

#17 Wing 0

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 815 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:22 PM

Regardless of the case, Harmony Gold will keep doing this **** as long as they have money to spare. IMO, Some of MWO's Mech Designs look TOO CLOSE which could continue to present problems in the future.

#18 Hawk819

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,624 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:59 PM

View PostDavegt27, on 23 July 2017 - 08:41 PM, said:

Actually, they do have something to worry about. Congress passed Copyright Laws and Mandates stating that a foreign business can be sued by a company within the boundaries of the U.S. soil and its outlining territories. Without theses laws, prices and goods would skyrocket out of control.

On another note, E-Harmony Cold can K.M.A.!

#19 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:42 PM

View PostWing 0, on 24 July 2017 - 08:22 PM, said:

Regardless of the case, Harmony Gold will keep doing this **** as long as they have money to spare. IMO, Some of MWO's Mech Designs look TOO CLOSE which could continue to present problems in the future.

I will be up to the jury to determine if the designs are too close or not, but judging by the fact that Catalyst omitted the Macross "unseen" from their TRO Succession Wars, it is a safe bet to assume that this was done as part of some kind of possible settlement with HG and we can expect PGI and HBS to take similar action.

If PGI does end up having to remove the Macross "unseen" from MWO, then what would be a good way for those of us who bought the Mech packs to be compensated?

I personally would be ok with receiving an amount of MC equal to the cost of the "unseen" Mech packs that I had purchased.

#20 Hawk819

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,624 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:10 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 24 July 2017 - 09:42 PM, said:

I will be up to the jury to determine if the designs are too close or not, but judging by the fact that Catalyst omitted the Macross "unseen" from their TRO Succession Wars, it is a safe bet to assume that this was done as part of some kind of possible settlement with HG and we can expect PGI and HBS to take similar action.

If PGI does end up having to remove the Macross "unseen" from MWO, then what would be a good way for those of us who bought the Mech packs to be compensated?

I personally would be ok with receiving an amount of MC equal to the cost of the "unseen" Mech packs that I had purchased.

Not me. I wanna keep what I got. Unless PGI can pull a rabbit out of it's hat and recreate new ones. Or make up totally new designs that are not even close to the ones we have.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users