• 554 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:57 AM

Use it to nail down a T1 locust will prove you a master of CQC Posted Image

#3 Dr Hobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 530 posts
  • LocationA cardboard box drinkin mah hooch.

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:59 AM

You're using them wrong.
They work great on my quad LMG flamer micro pulse nova build.

#4 Mole

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:00 AM

If the Piranha ever comes one of the variants in lore has had its 12 MGs replaced with ER Micro Lasers and Micro Pulse Lasers. I imagine they will come in handy there. Seen some Novas with one arm full of 12 micro lasers and the other arm full of smalls too.

#5 Nerokar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 179 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:12 AM

Something like this maybe?
NVA-PRIME
Feel free to replace UAC10 by LBX10 or 2xUAC2. If you are cool one AND have NVA-BR, drop a DHS and get 2 more lazzors in the left torso side Posted Image

Edited by Nerokar, 24 July 2017 - 06:13 AM.

#6 PyckenZot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 870 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAnderlecht, Belgium

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:32 AM

CQC last resort weapons on my ATM monsters. They're good when they're your last resort ;)

#7 DaMuchi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 157 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:56 AM

The real question is why would you take micro lasers over ERSL? lrm boats have a lower limit optimal range of 180 and the ERSL covers this gap nicely with for 0.5 tonnes and similar stat ratios as ERμL. μPL, at optimal, 90m, max, 180m, will not cut it. so for lrm boats, you'd probably only swap ERSL for ERμL if you desperately want that extra 1 tonne for whatever reason.

for ATM boats, your minimum range is now 120m. so you have 3 choices, HSL, ERμL, and μPL. ERμL is good for the weight. Between HSL and μPL have nearly identical stat ratios, the main difference is that μPL requires you to look at your opponent for 0.5s every 1.6s for short spurts of damage while HSL lets you torso twist for 4s before requiring you to stare at the enemy for 1.5s for one big punch. it is worth mentioning that HSL range bracket fits the120m better than the μPL. Personally, I would use HSL over μPL for ATM backups, but it's really just personal choice.

Outside of these 2 functions, I don't know why anybody would use micro lasers.

Edited by DaMuchi, 24 July 2017 - 06:58 AM.

#8 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:00 AM

uER is a weapon system that should be good... but we just don't have a platform for it. If we had the Piranha-2, with 12 uER, we'd be talking about a fast mech that could get into range to use them, and have enough lasers to actually make them worth using. Another good platform for it would be the Phantom, as one variant has 9 energy hardpoints, stock, and with mix-and-match could probably bring that up higher.

#9 Alexander of Macedon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:06 AM

They're pretty great. Low heat, low duration, low cooldown. I run my Purifier with them: ECM, 1x Heavy LLas, 6x Micropulse Laser, 2x LMG, 3x AMS, 2t AMS ammo, 0.5t LMG ammo. It's a pretty solid multi-range multi-role 'mech like that.

I can potentially see running them on an arctic cheater if you wanted to plop in some extra heatsinks so that it actually has staying power in a fight, but frankly they're best used for when you have a high-hardpoint 'mech and want a mix of large and small weapons, since they're so weight and heat efficient for what they do. Also more effective at killing lights than SPLas because of the lower duration and CD.

#10 Dr Hobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 530 posts
  • LocationA cardboard box drinkin mah hooch.

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:12 AM

View PostDaMuchi, on 24 July 2017 - 06:56 AM, said:

The real question is why would you take micro lasers over ERSL? lrm boats have a lower limit optimal range of 180 and the ERSL covers this gap nicely with for 0.5 tonnes and similar stat ratios as ERμL. μPL, at optimal, 90m, max, 180m, will not cut it. so for lrm boats, you'd probably only swap ERSL for ERμL if you desperately want that extra 1 tonne for whatever reason.

for ATM boats, your minimum range is now 120m. so you have 3 choices, HSL, ERμL, and μPL. ERμL is good for the weight. Between HSL and μPL have nearly identical stat ratios, the main difference is that μPL requires you to look at your opponent for 0.5s every 1.6s for short spurts of damage while HSL lets you torso twist for 4s before requiring you to stare at the enemy for 1.5s for one big punch. it is worth mentioning that HSL range bracket fits the120m better than the μPL. Personally, I would use HSL over μPL for ATM backups, but it's really just personal choice.

Outside of these 2 functions, I don't know why anybody would use micro lasers.

They run really cool.

That's why and htey're lighter than SPL so I can burst at close range,duck and hide.

They work great on my backburner Nova.

#11 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:52 AM

Boat the with optional Large class lasers or PPCs for a ranged punch - Nova, Stormcrow, Gargoyle.

Boat them in the arm(s) with heavy Ballistic 'mechs - Stormcrow, Gargoyle, Executioner, Dire Wolf, Kodiak.

#12 DaMuchi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 157 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:54 AM

View PostDr Hobo, on 24 July 2017 - 08:12 AM, said:

They run really cool.

That's why and htey're lighter than SPL so I can burst at close range,duck and hide.

They work great on my backburner Nova.

if you wanna shoot and hide, I suggest HSL. you punch for more and then you hide. better then tickling with micros and then hiding just to undo your hiding 1.5s later to tickle again.

#13 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:05 PM

They're pretty good point defense weapons and have a ghost heat limit of 8 instead of the usual 6. If you're bringing ATM12s on a mech that happens to also have a lot of free energy hardpoints in the arms they can reliably remove light mechs from around you.

For example, the Stormcrow with an ATM12 in each torso and 4 micropulse in each arm.

#14 Abigail Acerose

• Pip
  • The Clamps
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:25 PM

I've used my 15 micropulse Nova to great effect, 1.1k on my 1st soloQ game with it. The ghost heat on micropulses is 8, so it's nice on the Nova to shoot them 8/7 at a time. They aren't super great because of the 100m optimal, but you can do great dps if you play aggressively with clever positioning (you need this playstyle to get into optimal range, or you will be useless).

#15 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:26 PM

im not playing clan for the moment, but I thought the micro lasers did a lot of damage...are they useless cause of the range?

#16 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:30 PM

View PostCoolant, on 24 July 2017 - 02:26 PM, said:

im not playing clan for the moment, but I thought the micro lasers did a lot of damage...are they useless cause of the range?

They deal pathetic levels of damage per shot and have absolutely terrible max range, being out ranged by machine guns even. They have nice ghost heat limits and a DPS slightly higher than ER SLs for the same HPS.

They're nothing compared to the prenerf small pulse laser boats, but they are the DPS option with great durations that gives up range and alpha vs ER SL.

#17 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:41 PM

90m... they could cover the min range on IS ppcs.

OMG MIX TECH CONFIRM HYPE HYPE HYPE (i'm kidding, this is a jump with no evidence)

#18 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:44 PM

I feel like their cooldown is too long and they could use a wee bit more damage (i.e. 2 ER Micros had better deal more damage than 1 ERSL).

#19 AnarchyBurger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 141 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:04 PM

I dunno they work fine if you have extra hardpoints but don't want to put something that gets too hot, more tonnage, etc. There are a few builds that have buttloads of las hardpoints, but work better with other systems.

#20 SeventhSL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:32 PM

Yer... got to say I've struggled with the micro lasers more than any of the other new the tech items. Initially I thought I'd boat them on mechs like the nova but, due to ghost heat at 8, I keep finding other options perform better with less trade off.

Edited by SeventhSL, 24 July 2017 - 06:34 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users