Clarifications Need Regarding Ammo Explosion Mechanism

3 replies to this topic

#1 ingramli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 554 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:09 AM

If an ammo item stored in a location got crit and destroy, and it exploded, and there is other unused ammo store in that location, how does the explosion damage deals to the mech?

1. All the remaining damage potential of that destroyed ammo deals to the internal structure, ignore other unused ammo in that location (just consider those as destroyed in usual fashion)

2. The remaining damage potential not only deals to the internal structure of that location, but also damage other ammo at that location, and other ammo explode if the 10% chance of crit happens;

3. All the ammo in that location takes the damage from ammo explosion, and chain explode (100% chance), causing ALL the unused ammo' damage potential deals to the internal structure, and transfer to the next location where appropriate (ARM > ST > CT), taking a example, if there are 3 tons of ammo stored in a location, anyone of the ammo explode will cause the other 2 chain explode, doing all the damage of 3 tons ammo to that internal.

Which one is correct?

And one more question, for medium (mine is CN9-YLW), which ammo cannot be stored in the hand due to slot restrictions, legs or ST, which one is a better option for ammo storage? In general putting ammo in ST seems to be a no, but for YLW seems RT is a better option as it doesnt being shot much (if the RA that shields the RT got destroyed, your are useless anyway with the unused ammo), and the leg seems to be a priority target even for medium....Suggestion is appreciated.

#2 ingramli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 554 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:43 PM

Please some answer my question, thank you!

#3 jss78

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:12 PM

I'm frankly not sure how the mechanics work in MWO. But the take-home is that if ammo explodes, you're in deep sh*t, so mainly you work by avoiding the explosion in the first place.

For reference, here's the sequence at which ammo is consumed from different sections:

Spoiler

In short, you want to place ammo in places where it's least likely to take a critical hit (and explode).

For me this is generally:

1. First ton in head. Only rarely gets a penetrating hit.

2. Following 4 tons in legs. (Exception very fast 'mechs, because the faster you go, the more likely people are to shoot your legs.)

3. The rest in either in arms or torso sections, this varies on a lot of things. In some 'mechs your arms are otherwise empty, and there's incentive to put only light armour on them. Also in some 'mechs the arms take more hits than in others, because of the basic geometry. If the arms feel unsafe, the rest goes in torso sections. Give priority to torso sections with maximal number of other weapons/equipment in them: this means a critical hit might hit those instead of the ammo (this is known as "crit-padding").

Torso ammo is always a bit risky, but note from the figure attached that it's the first to be used, so the risk reduces over the game. Also the head ammo is especially nice because it's the last to be used. It guarantees that whatever components you lose, you'll always have that last ton for your weapon.

(From a lore POV the head ammo is hilarous to me. Imagine telling a mechwarrior ride in the thing. "Yeah, that's a ton of SRM's under your seat. What? Get in there you maggot.")

#4 Vesper11

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 01:18 AM

Is getting massive lag for 2 seconds part of mechanic too?

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users