Is Drop Decks - Brawling Or Poking?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Ausajax

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 04:56 AM

So I've got a few dozen Invasion games under my belt now as a pug (haven't yet found a group to drop with in my time zone) and am now trying to work out how to customise my mechs and play style.

Which play style does people find most successful for FW invasion on IS mechs? Get in close and brawl or try and poke/poptart?

I personally find aggressive brawling the most fun and it would seem to suit IS mechs better. Especially with the new MRMs, UACs and RACs. It's hard to tell from pugging though which play style is most effective.

#2 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:28 AM

View PostAusajax, on 25 July 2017 - 04:56 AM, said:

So I've got a few dozen Invasion games under my belt now as a pug (haven't yet found a group to drop with in my time zone) and am now trying to work out how to customise my mechs and play style.

Which play style does people find most successful for FW invasion on IS mechs? Get in close and brawl or try and poke/poptart?

I personally find aggressive brawling the most fun and it would seem to suit IS mechs better. Especially with the new MRMs, UACs and RACs. It's hard to tell from pugging though which play style is most effective.

It will always be hard with PUGs, not because they are necessarily bad, but because there is no consensus. Having said that, when pugging I choose to trade since brawling typically relies on better team coordination... coordination you may not get in a pug drop.

Look, you have 2 drop decks (3-4 if you paid MC for extras), my personal advice would be to build 2 decks, one with 3 trade and 1 brawl and the other 3 brawl and 1 trade... Try to make them as heat-neutral as possible.

#3 Marquis De Lafayette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:02 AM

Lrms....24/7......the more lrms you can pack on an Atlas or a King Crab the better. In fact don't use endo steel, but run an XL on those mechs to free up crit. slots for more launchers and Ammo.

Best of luck with these builds,
~A helpful Clanner

(Seriously, it depends. Both can work well, if your team can decide on one strategy and bring mechs for that, you will be ahead of where most drops are. )

#4 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:43 AM

But if you are pugging, I would seriously recommend *not* brawling... you may find yourself all by yourself...

#5 Ausajax

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:23 AM

View PostMarquis De Lafayette, on 25 July 2017 - 08:02 AM, said:

Lrms....24/7......the more lrms you can pack on an Atlas or a King Crab the better. In fact don't use endo steel, but run an XL on those mechs to free up crit. slots for more launchers and Ammo.

Aaah, that old chestnut... lol! I suppose I should go for all the range and heat skill points so you can LRM further and longer... :P

I might try one dropdeck of brawling and one of poking and see how I go.

#6 ccrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 05:42 AM

View PostAusajax, on 25 July 2017 - 04:56 AM, said:

you like brawling? You are my new friend. :) what times do you play? If you like brawling and need a group, come drop with us. Ts addy is rodcbr1.teamspeak3.com.

Edited by ccrider, 27 July 2017 - 07:32 AM.

#7 Alexandra Hekmatyar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Marshal
  • Marshal
  • 774 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 01 August 2017 - 05:22 AM

Who needs anything else then 4, K2 catapults packing gauss, er medium lasers?
Poke, strike and brawl whatever you want you can do it with that. :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users