[Discussion] - Flare Launcher

16 replies to this topic

#1 m

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:37 AM

Hello everyone,

I think it's time we have a flare launcher. Been on my mind for a really long time (like the first month).

In theory, it can be used tactically to mark an enemy if hit because it sticks, blind an enemy if they have Night Vision/Heat Vision on like a flash bang, and illuminate an area if shot like a firework in the air. It's a great tool/weapon in the missile category if used correctly in a tactical method (even for defensive purposes).

Also, there really isn't a formal design for it in the battletech universe. Just some sketch someone threw together lol. I really wouldn't mind seeing what can be imagined as well by the community or PGI's design department.

-POLL-

Thanks for your time everyone.

Edited by m, 13 August 2017 - 12:46 AM.

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:44 AM

MW4 had flare gun. Never seen it used in MP mode, or even SP mode, for that matter.

#3 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:55 AM

we already have something similar in narc. just make narc light up targets.

narc should also have an explosive charge that can detonate and do damage to whatever location its attached to.

#4 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,060 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:57 AM

wouldn't mind seeing a general purpose smoke marker consumable. you might get 10 shots per consumable, mostly for command usage, like drop callers wanting to call attention to certain areas of the map. you just shoot it whereever and it releases smoke and also pings the map in that location. for those situations where using the map is too slow.

flares would be more for illumination and jamming night vision/thermo and possibly screwing up missile guidance. any lerms atms or streaks in a certain area would just home in on it and give up their original targets. you could also stick them to enemy mechs for much amusement.

i kind of also want explosive pod narc launchers.

Edited by LordNothing, 02 August 2017 - 12:59 AM.

#5 m

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 01:05 AM

If this becomes a thing I have a few side questions to ask;

Would anyone like to have the option of picking an ammo colour other than a typical default like red or green or something?

Would anyone care for a sound effect for some psychological warfare?

Or just leave it silent and until it's above the enemy and ending with a loud bang?

Edited by m, 02 August 2017 - 02:06 PM.

#6 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 02 August 2017 - 07:41 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 02 August 2017 - 12:57 AM, said:

wouldn't mind seeing a general purpose smoke marker consumable. you might get 10 shots per consumable, mostly for command usage, like drop callers wanting to call attention to certain areas of the map. you just shoot it whereever and it releases smoke and also pings the map in that location. for those situations where using the map is too slow.

Would be a good way to freak out the enemy and make them think an airstrike is incoming.

#7 m

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:40 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 02 August 2017 - 12:57 AM, said:

View PostBTGbullseye, on 02 August 2017 - 07:41 PM, said:

Would be a good way to freak out the enemy and make them think an airstrike is incoming.

If we ever had the ability to change ammunition types there could be a smoke warhead available.

#8 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,060 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:49 PM

we could have a lot of cool stuff if we could do ammo switching. true lbx, narc explosive pod, nemesis pod, atms that dont suck, inferno streaks, and on and on and on.

i remember back when i toyed around with quake mods and ammo switching was a 10 minute tutorial. any 13 year old script kiddie could do it. throw down a dozen lines of quake c and you can switch to exploding nails. im rather disturbed at how little confidence pgi has in its ability of doing such a simple little bit of code.

Edited by LordNothing, 02 August 2017 - 10:54 PM.

#9 WrathOfDeadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:44 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 02 August 2017 - 12:44 AM, said:

MW4 had flare gun. Never seen it used in MP mode, or even SP mode, for that matter.

The MW4 flare launcher fired sticky flares. It had no use whatsoever in normal play, and was worse than useless in SP, but it was a spectacular troll weapon... you could stick a flare right on somebody's cockpit and they'd be totally blind until it burned out.

*ahem* ...not that I ever did this horrible thing. That would make me a bad person who should feel very bad about... things.

#10 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:28 AM

Only point of flares IMO would be bright lighting for night maps, and making an area completely blinding to anyone in NV and heat vision. But I'd think it'd be a consumable, not use up slots.

#11 Snowbluff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:52 AM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 02 August 2017 - 07:41 PM, said:

I'd say make it a different smoke color.

#12 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 August 2017 - 07:23 AM

As has been said, MW4 had it. Was useful on night time maps. Would be useful on night time maps here. Also, if I remember correctly, it really messed up night vision in MW4...blinds. Might be useful for that too.

#13 Wiley Coyote

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 07:29 AM

Flares and big stompy robbits you say?

#14 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,060 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 07:46 AM

View PostSnowbluff, on 03 August 2017 - 03:52 AM, said:

really think all strikes and uavs need team appropriate colors. red team uav thrusters and strike smoke is red, your team's is blue. but that would make too much sense. smoke bombs might just come in a number of colors, the meaning of which depends on your drop caller's preference. purple for push, green for flank, yellow for marking spotters/campers, etc.

Edited by LordNothing, 03 August 2017 - 07:48 AM.

#15 GA1NAX

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 97 posts
  • LocationIn Soviet Russia... scratching bears)))

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:00 AM

View PostSnowbluff, on 03 August 2017 - 03:52 AM, said:

Purple? Posted Image

#16 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:10 AM

I made a suggestion about adding lob trajectory weapons, it has so many potential uses (moving UAV flares, actual smoke nades, area control/area of effect, of course as a weapon capable of blind firing over hills etc).

It really feels like it should be doable considering how ballistics function so similarly.

Edited by Shifty McSwift, 03 August 2017 - 09:11 AM.

#17 m

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 02:49 PM

Couple of things I wanted to throw out there.

What if the flare launcher, which I assume would be missile hardpoint based, had toggle-able options (like ecm, etc) to either;

- Lock-on and stick to a mech - LOCK

- Explode in the air like an arcing firework to provide a wide area of illumination - ARC-EX

- Ability to be silently launched to mark a path and after landing it silently illuminates (like a friendly option) - PATH

Also, here are the specs on the weapon:

Posted Image
Does anyone feel that the specs should stay the same, be play-tested then changed, or just changed entirely?

Edited by m, 03 August 2017 - 02:50 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users