17 replies to this topic

#1 MadHornet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 529 posts
  • LocationSomewhere deep in Florida

Posted 03 August 2017 - 07:59 PM

[ EDIT: Thanks to those for telling me about the XP option ]

Why does replacing purchased skill nodes cost so much GXP? Did PGI not expect people to rearrange and tweak their skill tree? I can't even afford to redo them because it takes 3 days worth of after-work matches to do 10 nodes that I've already EARNED. Am I missing something or is this actually the way it is?

The skill tree takes forever as it is, this is utter nonsense.

Edited by MadHornet, 04 August 2017 - 02:52 PM.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:02 PM

Unfortunately, it would seem that the primary objective of the new skill tree was to add another money sink to the game...mission accomplished on their end.

It really just further reinforces the notion that you should try to pick out one specific build for every mech.

#3 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:06 PM

Pgi doesnt want you changing your mechs around. They want you to buy another one of the same type.

#4 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:10 PM

You are choosing the wrong Option..

click on the other side of the NODE and you can pick the XP option.. One side of the NODE is GXP, the other is XP.

Only use the GXP option if you have no XP, It only costs 400XP to reactivate a NODE. Set up a mech, play 10-15-20 matches.. You have enough to activate 20-30 nodes easy.

I got a new mech i leveled up,, played it a bunch.. Now i have over 50k XP banked already and i've had it only a month. If you are actually playing the mech, swapping nodes is not a big deal.

Edited by JC Daxion, 03 August 2017 - 08:13 PM.

#5 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:45 PM

View PostFupDup, on 03 August 2017 - 08:02 PM, said:

It really just further reinforces the notion that you should try to pick out one specific build for every mech.

Everybody thought I was crazy for piloting lore builds. But now here we are. With all of my training using horribly inefficient builds, I can now run mechs without any skills and still do pretty good. Thus, I can test every build combo I want on my mechs before skilling them up. It's wonderful for my space wallet.

#6 MrMadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:59 PM

I personally don't care about skill tree. I used online calculator to build some universal skill build, that mostly focused on returning my 'Mechs to previous pre-skill-tree state and now I use this build on all of my 'Mechs. As I have 91 HSP on almost all of them - I can do it completely for free. And I really regret, that I haven't sold all my modules prior to release of skill trees, cuz 2.5K GSP are almost useless for me and 70M CB would be very useful.

#7 Kotzi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:03 PM

Use your Mech XP, it comes way faster than General XP.

#8 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:20 PM

yes primary issue with the skill trees is still exactly this. just make us unlock the node ONCE and then free rechoices for the tree. Anything else hurts the casuals and newbies over those playing enough and swimming in XP and c-bills.

Edited by Lily from animove, 03 August 2017 - 11:20 PM.

#9 Kotzi

• 1,356 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:37 PM

Thats the primay objective. If this would just be a means to customize your mech, you wouldnt have to click through a maze like this with some nodes as obstacles which you have to activate. It would be straight forward, convenient and easy to understand for newbies and oldies alike. Because if not the newbs who else would have to experiment on this. And they dont have the benefit of existing Cbills and MCs.

#10 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 01:24 AM

I haven't used a bit of GXP because the mech XP is plentiful for all reskilling.

#11 Alexander of Macedon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 03:03 AM

I'm not a tremendous fan of respec costs, but any 'mech you play a decent amount of should have obscene heaps of exp. Don't use GXP to reactivate nodes.

#12 Yellonet

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 04 August 2017 - 03:45 AM

My beef is only that you need c-bills to use the xp... then what's the point of xp??

#13 Mechwarrior1441491

• 1,157 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 07:01 AM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 03 August 2017 - 08:06 PM, said:

Pgi doesnt want you changing your mechs around. They want you to buy another one of the same type.

HAHAHA

Can't believe the doors are still open around here. Stop supporting abusive devs.

#14 MadHornet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 529 posts
  • LocationSomewhere deep in Florida

Posted 04 August 2017 - 02:53 PM

It's hard to see the options if I'm not zoomed in on the tree. Kind of annoying but I get it now.

Edited by MadHornet, 04 August 2017 - 02:55 PM.

#15 Sixpack

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 244 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 04:56 PM

View PostFupDup, on 03 August 2017 - 08:02 PM, said:

Unfortunately, it would seem that the primary objective of the new skill tree was to add another money sink to the game...mission accomplished on their end.

Come on Fup. You know that is wrong.

The skill tree is replacing a Cbill sink (namely the modules). But it offers more options and is kind of a requirement while modules were optional (though they improved gameplay quite a lot with certain modules).

#16 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 04 August 2017 - 04:58 PM

View PostSixpack, on 04 August 2017 - 04:56 PM, said:

Come on Fup. You know that is wrong.

The skill tree is replacing a Cbill sink (namely the modules). But it offers more options and is kind of a requirement while modules were optional (though they improved gameplay quite a lot with certain modules).

Modules were only a short-term sink though, provided that you didn't buy new ones for every single mech. You only needed at most like 4 sets of modules for a full drop deck, or if not playing CW then you needed even fewer.

The new skill tree has much lower upfront costs, but over time it will add up to actually be higher since you can't "skill swap" between different mechs.

Edited by FupDup, 04 August 2017 - 04:59 PM.

#17 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,070 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:33 PM

its kind of overwhelming at first but once you get a feel for the thing you often find that you are doing the same nodes over and over again. you might do a few more speed tweak nodes on a slow mech or more sensor nodes on a recon mech. but generally the layout looks the same. or apply buffs to particular weapons.

Edited by LordNothing, 04 August 2017 - 05:33 PM.

#18 vandalhooch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 891 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 06:52 PM

View PostFupDup, on 04 August 2017 - 04:58 PM, said:

Modules were only a short-term sink though, provided that you didn't buy new ones for every single mech. You only needed at most like 4 sets of modules for a full drop deck, or if not playing CW then you needed even fewer.

The new skill tree has much lower upfront costs, but over time it will add up to actually be higher since you can't "skill swap" between different mechs.

In other words, the broken currency sink is now fixed.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users