- - - - -

Won A Centurion Cn9-A Need Suggestions On Builds

12 replies to this topic

#1 IHateMechs

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 05:30 PM

Hello there!

I currently own a shadowcat, grasshopper, and won a centurion in one of the previous events. I was just introduced to organized faction by a friend using trial mechs but would like to start upgrading and buying more to create my own drop deck. I have been looking at the kungsarme is drop deck list for ideas but it's only recently being updated to include the new patch and another site I used to set up my shadowcat and grasshopper metamechs isn't updated either. Ideally I would like to use my centurion since I just found out it is a hero mech and I get a 30% cbill bonus.

I prefer to play medium/long range and understand medium is mostly favored for drop decks. Any suggestions greatly appreciated! I currently have about 600k cbills but will upgrade my cn9-a as I do more quickplay this evening.

#2 Mirenheart

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 06:18 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f3c4738b7819bdf
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...74a91989bc30b84
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...46c7b210df4d482

First two will work out alot better, though are subject to jamming on the ballistic.

They're all going to be pretty expensive because of the Light Engine, but the LE will be really nice for any centurian you might pick up.

Though if you want something cheaper, the stock build for the Champion is nice.

#3 R E S P E K

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 06:19 PM

Best use is a brawler, 3x Srm6 with artemis, a couple of pulse lasers and a giant engine.

#4 WrathOfDeadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 08:05 PM

This is how I'm rebuilding my CN9-A. It has a good midrange poke with the UAC10 and ER Mediums; at close range you can stop firing the lasers (unless you've lost the UAC) and switch to the SRMs for better sustained DPS.

If you want a pure brawler, then this offers a strong frontloaded burst to reduce facetime.

You could also bulk up on SRMs, like this.

Max engine isn't strictly necessary (especially if you take the speed tweak skill nodes- you'll still be over 90kph with a 265), and a few extra tons of payload space makes all the difference on a mixed-hardpoint 'Mech like the Centurion. You do, however, really want that LFE for the torso loss survivability it offers, because that really brings out the best in the 'Mech. The Centurion already has great shield arms... which I would not under any circumstances remove all of the armor from, because the LA especially is a signature feature of the Centurion. IMO, that arm is the only real reason to use the Cent over any other medium. Other 'Mechs in the class have more and better hardpoints, higher engine caps, or more favorable torso geometry... only the Cent has that fabulous shield arm. Half armor only costs half a ton (less if using ferro or light ferro); it is well worth the investment for the protection it offers.

#5 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 07:24 AM

After a bit of testing I have set up mine with 3 SRM6+A and a snub-nose PPC powered by a LE275. It makes for a decent brawler for the Scouting mode. All other alternatived were unsatisfactory.

#6 R E S P E K

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 12:18 PM

^ also good

#7 ingramli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 554 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 11:15 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f48500066590d39

Mine. The armor value is optimized for maximum armor bonus so they may not seems "ideal" for some.

The one is built as a "skirmisher". Which means that you are not supposed to do direct trading with the heavies or assaults. Your role is to harass the foes who are busy dealing with your friends. Twist and run away as soon as you fired your AC10 and LPPC (a pinpoint 15 damage at near 450M, not exactly great but decent for harassment). If you didnt get return fire, repeat again, that is your main role. If the situation calls for it (upon end game) or get chased by some lights/medium get within 90M, deal with it with your AC10 and 2x SRM2, not very powerful but should be sufficient for self defense. As a general rule. always show your left side to your enemy, it is a good shield, with sufficient coverage for hitbox and plenty of hit point. Your are still alive even you get your left torso blown away but you are not good enough for any role if you lose your AC10 on your right hand. STD engine is of limited effectiveness on CN-9A as your can only put 2 MPLs on the CT of CN-9A, even then they are of limited use as they are not arm mounted + limited range. This build get you enough speed (LFE265 goes 92kph with speed tweaks) and capability to survive losing a ST (you are not heavily penalized for loses of heat sinks as this build is rather cold anyway).

Edited by ingramli, 31 July 2017 - 11:19 PM.

#8 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 11:26 PM

You should also check out the Battlemechs sub-forums. The one for mediums is at https://mwomercs.com...um-mech-builds/

#9 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 11:49 PM

View Postingramli, on 31 July 2017 - 11:15 PM, said:

Mine. The armor value is optimized for maximum armor bonus so they may not seems "ideal" for some.

There is no need to do that. Even though the user interface shows a full bonus only at a certain value, the underlying mechanics count the bonus for every point even if it is not shown in the mechlab.

#10 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 11:58 PM

the 3rd one, with and XL engine 3 srm 6's and 3 mg's

good brawler... close range support

#11 Evilwallofdeath

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 02:17 PM

I like running this mech with 2erml, and 3xSSRM6 and the fastest engine I can fit. Get it going about 95KPH and slap a BAP on it and you've got a really good guard dog mech for those pesky lights attacking your assaults.

#12 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 06 August 2017 - 02:31 PM

The A is only good at short range brawling. I suggest you play scouting or get another mech.

Another option is to simply use the mech as a match booster where the overall 30% is divided by the number of mechs dropped.

Premium time and contract bonuses are far more important than hero mech income in FP.

As you are short of funds I recommend not playing that mode until your acquire more equipment.

#13 jss78

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 07 August 2017 - 05:45 AM

I got this one in that recent gift-code promotion. I just can't figure out a pleasing loadout.

I much prefer a Centurion such as Yen-Lo that can pack the UAC/20 or AC/20 in RA, to me that's kind of what makes a Centurion "go" -- to do a thing I cannot do better with another 'mech. If I'm going to pack a triple-pack of SRM's, there's no shortage of mediums that put the SRM's on high on shoulders (Griffin, Wolverine, Shadow Hawk 2K), plus come with extra goodies like JJ/ECM.

However what's fun about the Centurion 9A is that it has a really great stock loadout, as far as 3025-stock 'mechs go. The AC/10 and 2xML can be run with SHS and it has a good amount of ammo. I ended up keeping the thing stock for 3025-spec games

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users