17 replies to this topic

#1 digital O-Q

• PipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 11:32 PM

So the Javelin, Any thoughts . . . ?
There seems to be a huge price difference between models.

Edited by digital O-Q, 08 August 2017 - 11:39 PM.

#2 Aggravated Assault Mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 825 posts
  • Locationlocation location

Posted 08 August 2017 - 11:55 PM

The price is including the added value of double heat sinks and ferro on the -11A and -11B, which were reinforcement pack variants.

-10P, -10N, and -10F are all good. The -11A looks strong, and the -11B is probably one of the few actually good candidates for stealth armor. Hi There is fine, but sort of gimmicky.

6 SRM2 on the -10P.
2 SRM4 + 2 SRM2, or 4 SRM2 with a 285XL on the -10N.
4 MPL on the -10F.
4 ML + 2 RL20, or 4 MPL on Hi There.

It's a strong mech if you want to play something that's good at hit-and-run. It's fragile but it's also very mobile and packs a punch. Very exciting and I really like mine.

Edited by Aggravated Assault Mech, 08 August 2017 - 11:58 PM.

#3 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:07 AM

Javelin is a very strong mech for measly 30 tons.

#4 The Lighthouse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:07 AM

The agility of these mechs are excellent enough that you can pretty much abandon Firestarters for the laser bomb variants for this mech. Not to mention they are quite smaller than Firestarter as well.

And of course, the mech is also only IS missile light mech that does not sit behind paywall (only other option so far was oxide.)

Edited by The Lighthouse, 09 August 2017 - 12:08 AM.

#5 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:13 AM

Buying for MC is a terrible deal, just get the standard package or wait until c-bills. Just ask yourself if 950 MC + mechbay is better than $15 for thee variants, premium and swag.

That said it is a tanky and excellent light mech. The 10N is my favorite, I barely use the others.

#6 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:40 AM

View PostThe Lighthouse, on 09 August 2017 - 12:07 AM, said:

And of course, the mech is also only IS missile light mech that does not sit behind paywall (only other option so far was oxide.)

Assassin is basically a Light. :D

#7 adamts01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:27 AM

View PostAggravated Assault Mech, on 08 August 2017 - 11:55 PM, said:

It's a strong mech if you want to play something that's good at hit-and-run.

I haven't played in quite a while. Was that stealth armor letting you sneak around or are players in tier 1 just that bad these days? Also, was that thing running so hot because of the new ERMLs or were those regular medium lasers?

#8 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:58 AM

View Postadamts01, on 09 August 2017 - 01:27 AM, said:

I haven't played in quite a while. Was that stealth armor letting you sneak around or are players in tier 1 just that bad these days? Also, was that thing running so hot because of the new ERMLs or were those regular medium lasers?

Tier1 means almost nothing these days, people with barely or less than 1 K/D ratio and ~200 avg match score are tier 1.
we need 0 -1 -2 -3 -4 and -5 tiers :P

#9 Yumoshiri

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 190 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:08 AM

Brilliant mech. The leader board challenge got me saturated with it though. But on a regular basis this mech was able to get me 3 solo kills in a game (which I needed for leaderboard).

For the 6 missile HP, I recommend using 4 SRM4 and 2 SRM2. The reason for this is that SRM2's are much tighter spread, and thus a good way to do slightly more focussed damage. Yes you could argue to go for 6 SRM2's, but to me, SRM20 makes more sense than SRM 12 in most instances on a skirmisher. But then again, it's all up to your own flavor.

I've tried 3x mrm10 on the 4x missile varient. Funny, but underwhelming.
Now what can be more interesting is combining SRM with rocket launchers- haven't done that yet!

#10 Aggravated Assault Mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 825 posts
  • Locationlocation location

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:44 AM

View Postadamts01, on 09 August 2017 - 01:27 AM, said:

No, those were regular medium lasers on the hero- which can't run stealth armor. I also had LAMS on it which causes a lot of heat- I've since gotten rid of it.

It does showcase how good the mobility on the Javelin is, however. I carries a huge amount of firepower for something that can go 165kph and fly.

#11 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:54 AM

I agree with the positive reviews. It is a fantastic Mech; the standard Javelins -10N and -10P are excellent SRM-bombers, perhaps even perfect light SRM-bombers. The Fire Javelins -10F and -11A are good laser boats, and I have a lot of fun pushing the -10F to Locust-speed and have JJ for better mobility.

Unfortunately they have been unjustly overshadowed by the Skill Tree and the new Tech, but they are a strong addition to the IS. If like light Mechs and if you have 15$ or loads of MC, buy them.

#12 digital O-Q

• PipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:48 AM

Thanks for the reviews chaps.

#13 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 09 August 2017 - 04:23 AM

View PostCurccu, on 09 August 2017 - 01:58 AM, said:

Tier1 means almost nothing these days, people with barely or less than 1 K/D ratio and ~200 avg match score are tier 1.
we need 0 -1 -2 -3 -4 and -5 tiers Posted Image

No, we just need tiers to be reworked somewhat. Make them a zero sum game and have separate rankings for group and solo queue.

#14 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 04:52 AM

View PostEscef, on 09 August 2017 - 04:23 AM, said:

No, we just need tiers to be reworked somewhat. Make them a zero sum game and have separate rankings for group and solo queue.

That would be better option, but still we need a way to kick these lowtier1 players back to some lower tiers.
I think the main issue is that tier system is a XP bar, it's next to impossible to go backwards in it.

#15 MadHornet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 529 posts
  • LocationSomewhere deep in Florida

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:20 AM

It is superior to the Oxide in my opinion. Thinner profile, similar firepower, faster, jumpjets, all torso mounts, shield arms, and even ECM.

The 10N is the best variant to start with. The 2x SRM-4 + 2x SRM-2 produces no ghost heat and benefits from the base quirks. This 'mech is very dangerous if you get the jump on your opponent.

#16 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:27 AM

View PostCurccu, on 09 August 2017 - 01:58 AM, said:

we need 0 -1 -2 -3 -4 and -5 tiers Posted Image
We have all this skill mixing because there aren't enough people in each tier, a 5th would just make things worse. I've always suggested 3 tiers split evenly among the population, you only fight your tier and you have to knock someone down to move up.

View PostAggravated Assault Mech, on 09 August 2017 - 02:44 AM, said:

No, those were regular medium lasers on the hero- which can't run stealth armor. I also had LAMS on it which causes a lot of heat- I've since gotten rid of it.

It does showcase how good the mobility on the Javelin is, however. I carries a huge amount of firepower for something that can go 165kph and fly.
Those guys were clueless, I figured it was a tier 5 match till I saw your rank. Not because of your shooting, you did a great job, but those guys were just lost.

#17 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:31 AM

10P - My go to mech to yolo-solo Cheetahs with

6 srm2 - 4 tons of ammo
250XL - 141.9 kph (3/5 Speed)
1-2 jjs

boom splat.

IMO Javelins are tougher than nails and hella fun.

#18 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:05 AM

Seems pretty nice, but not so special that you should be hashing out money for... just like the Roughneck. I'd wait for C-Bill release to buy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users