Dragon Time!

8 replies to this topic

#1 Nobel555

Rookie

• Korpral
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:09 AM

So I'm looking into dragon builds with light engines and I'm stumped on which variant to buy. I could go Flame and enjoy a rot ac in my side torso... But I want to do my homework so I'm not screwing up on the battlefield. Can anyone help me?

#2 Gaius Cavadus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 404 posts
  • LocationNova Roma, Alphard

Posted 11 August 2017 - 11:18 PM

I roll 2xERLLs and gauss rifle in a DRG-5NC and love it. One of my best performing mechs, actually.

#3 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:41 AM

View PostNobel555, on 11 August 2017 - 07:09 AM, said:

So I'm looking into dragon builds with light engines and I'm stumped on which variant to buy. I could go Flame and enjoy a rot ac in my side torso... But I want to do my homework so I'm not screwing up on the battlefield. Can anyone help me?

Noble,

Dragons are one of the hardest mechs to truly master, as they are Cavalry mechs, that rely heavily on the ability to move in one direction, look in another and shoot in a third. That being said, if you can learn that skill, you will find them to be solid mechs, sadly this is an ability that is actively punished in MWO, as most teams do not support that style of play, nor they encourage learning it.

Now with that being said, you wanted builds that focused on the LFE correct?

This is the build that I actually use in game:

DRG-1C

To make it LFE compliant:

DRG-1C

With that out of the way, the RAC is something that honestly doe not work well with how Dragons play, they are not the type of unit that wants to get into a staring match, they want to shoot, twist, relocate, shoot, twist and relocate. Think of them less as a tank and more of a gunship.

If you have another other questions about Dragons, I would be happy to answer them and I'm sure Kon will be along shortly to offer any insight to them as well.

#4 Phelan Boots

• Pip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:07 PM

I've been having a great time with this FLAME build. Granted I'm using an XL engine because I like the speed. You could swap it with the appropriately sized light engine but you lose about 20kph.

I start the game by poking with the RAC. Expose just your left shoulder, blast, and then relocate. Once things turn in to a brawl I'll flank and remove parts with the MPLs. I usually get 700-900 damage per game.

Edited by Phelan Boots, 13 August 2017 - 04:08 PM.

#5 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 11:30 AM

I recommend the Dragon with 3 ballistic mounts in the arm. Running 3 UAC2s on the thing is absolutely brutal.

#6 Mad Ox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 358 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 August 2017 - 09:19 PM

Dragon was the first mech I ever did 3 mechs on and mastered. Even as hated as it was then still loved it started with trial and jsut had fun game after fun game, so said okay got the 2 heros and 1c I think and just had a blast.

Treat my one as a big Hunchback AC20 and 4 mediums with LRM5 other 3 LL lasers IIRC chews up things well.

#7 Xoco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 281 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:30 AM

I prefer 1N with 2xAC5 and 2 Flamers, XL325. Most people use the Dragon's speed to keep their distance from people. I use it to get in their face. The twin AC5 is on 1sec CD with quirk and skills, so that is about 10DPS at no heat, while providing some decent poking. Then I close in for the kill, roasting my target while plinking away at them.

#8 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:31 AM

There was a guy on the enemy team called "That annoying guy in a Dragon" that was in a Dragon 5N with 3 UAC/2s. Man he tore through our team and was supper annoying with all those shells shaking and blinding everyone.

#9 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 17 September 2017 - 02:31 PM

5N with UAC/10, 2xLL and SRM-6, running XL 275. Does well enough to be a mainstay of my FP deck.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users