Mastering A New Mad Dog - Need Suggestions

20 replies to this topic

#1 Asym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:45 AM

Greetings !

I've written about the grind of mastering a new mech before.......it hasn't changed and without "premium time", which I will not purchase (nor, anything else for real $$$ anymore), this process will take no less than 150 games......

Having said that, the real issue is an effective Mad Dog load out that can produce good damage (assuming I do my part.)

What is or has worked for you in the Post Skill Tree and CW patch world?

I look forward to your suggestions..........

#2 Dr Hobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 530 posts
  • LocationA cardboard box drinkin mah hooch.

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:56 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b911c80539de309

This is the build I run.

With this build,you can have a solid mid range punch as both the SSRMs and ATMS share a common range(270M) and the ER and HML are good for slapping stuff while you wait on reloads,or really need to get the point across.

I've had several 800+ damage games and I have totally run out of ammo on it,and I don't even have skills on this mech yet.

#3 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:56 AM

The Mad Dog is still primarily a missile boat, isn't it? Just cram a bunch of SRM/LRMs in there, slap two or so back up lasers in and rock.

#4 F1oyd

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 171 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:00 AM

I recommend to go full brawl with the maddog. 6 srm6 with artemis and a lot of ammo + a few additional heatsinks. I use 2 weapon groups: left button left sided weapons and right button right sided weapons. It is simple and straight forward. Be patient enough to wait untill you get in range and then unleash the splatt. It is the best build you can run on a maddog imo.

Edited by Floyd Foster, 13 August 2017 - 07:02 AM.

#5 Dr Hobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 530 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:21 AM

View PostFloyd Foster, on 13 August 2017 - 07:00 AM, said:

I recommend to go full brawl with the maddog. 6 srm6 with artemis and a lot of ammo + a few additional heatsinks. I use 2 weapon groups: left button left sided weapons and right button right sided weapons. It is simple and straight forward. Be patient enough to wait untill you get in range and then unleash the splatt. It is the best build you can run on a maddog imo.

I dunno,it's fun and all,but really toasty. I prefer the ATM SSRM build as I can scare the wee out of lights that get close and I can deal a world of hurt faster than a full S/SRM loadout can.

#6 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:48 AM

6x SRM6 with Artemis, it is so simple.

I also suggest contact lenses, those help.

Edited by Zergling, 13 August 2017 - 08:00 AM.

#7 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:48 AM

For there are three ways I like to run my Maddog.

Mixed - I will usually mount some combo of ER ML, MPL or ER SL in the arms then add a couple SRMs backed up by a LRM15. This gives me the capability to address any situation. Early game or any time I getting in close is an issue, I can just stand back and contribute by using LRMs. If the match gets in close, then I can brawl very well with the lasers and SRMs. Basically it is a good all-arounder that can function on any map.

SRM heavy - Usually I will mount only 3 SRM6s with Artemis to avoid any ghost heat but 4 on two groups works as well. Then I always back it up with energy weapons on the arms because they don't require ammo and have a much easier time engaging light mechs with.

LRM heavy - Same as SRM heavy but with some combo of LRM. You can do 6 x LRM 5s, 4 x LRM 10s, 2 x LRM 15 or some such but again backed up with a health energy armament.

ATM heavy - Same as SRM/LRM build but using ATMs instead (my least preferred option due to ATMs being countered so heavily by AMS).

You will notice every build has a fairly heavy energy armament (by heavy I mean at least 25-30 points of energy damage capability minimum). This is because they are the most effective weapon you can use in any and all situations. I mean it is nice having that Splat of an all SRM armament but unless you are extremely good or lucky it is hard to take out lights with it and you always have to worry about ammo. Same for the LRM boat. Sure it is nice to have a huge number of LRMs to saturate the enemy with but they are situational and there will be a situation at some point where you won't be able to use your LRMs. Having a decent energy back up again makes you effective in all situations.

Edited by Viktor Drake, 13 August 2017 - 07:49 AM.

#8 MadRover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 568 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:12 PM

here is how I run my MDD

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1e26b0cbc4f26da

add in armor and DHS as necessary and I generally run 500-1k damage games with this build. Just get ready to do a lot of torso twisting.

#9 Funk1777

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 104 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:05 PM

6XSRM6A. I go heavy in the survival tree and firepower for range cd and heat gen, grab at least 1 missile rack and preferably 2. I like at least 1 seismic on it as well. I almost always take 2x coolshot and 2x advanced arty strike on most of my mechs.

#10 Alexander of Macedon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:06 PM

If you're any good with ATMs at all you'll hit 800+ almost every match with this.

#11 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:08 PM

View PostAlexander of Macedon, on 13 August 2017 - 05:06 PM, said:

If you're any good with ATMs at all you'll hit 800+ almost every match with this.

How do you make ATMs work? Every time I take them out, they get chewed to pieces by AMS, way worse than an equal LRM compliment. Only time I can ever hit with a meaningful amount is when I'm in SRM range, and then whats the point, may as well bring SRMs.

#12 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:18 PM

View PostAsym, on 13 August 2017 - 06:45 AM, said:

Greetings !

I've written about the grind of mastering a new mech before.......it hasn't changed and without "premium time", which I will not purchase (nor, anything else for real $$$ anymore), this process will take no less than 150 games......

Having said that, the real issue is an effective Mad Dog load out that can produce good damage (assuming I do my part.)

What is or has worked for you in the Post Skill Tree and CW patch world?

I look forward to your suggestions..........

Mastering a new mech is about 4 million cbills now, if you are only making 100k a match that's only 40 games. I average 175k, so only 23 matches for me, so you might be getting your Mad Dog mastered sooner than you think.

So what are you looking for in your Mad Dog? The thing works pretty well with any missile type.

SRM: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...81afa9354b09ab4
ATM: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...bfa4905baf019f4
LRM: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d4e9747061726dc

Currently I've been running the ATM build mostly, in the optimal range bracket its just devastating. With just the 2 ATM12s, which can be fired without ghost heat, you put out the same damage as the 6ASRM6 alpha that has to be split for ghost heat, you can fire it over some small hills, you can peek out and expose less, and you still put out 48 damage out to around 500m. Just throw in some heavy lasers for up close and you're fine.

Once Mad Dog Prime gets its set of 8 quirk pass the LRM and ATM builds will get stronger.

View PostBombast, on 13 August 2017 - 05:08 PM, said:

How do you make ATMs work? Every time I take them out, they get chewed to pieces by AMS, way worse than an equal LRM compliment. Only time I can ever hit with a meaningful amount is when I'm in SRM range, and then whats the point, may as well bring SRMs.

Always bring as many tubes as possible for max AMS negation, no chainfiring small launchers. Fire in pairs of ATM12. 2 ATM12s if heavy, 4 ATM12s if assault. Use them in SRM range for the most part. The main difference being that ATMs are guided and more likely to hit their target at the far end of SRM range than SRMs would be. It works best on mechs with a high mounted cockpit and torso mounted launchers such as the Mad Dog. Just peek cockpit above a hill, fire off 72 damage, get back behind hill before they notice you. Repeat that until they realize half their mech is gone and attempt to chase you, then just back up while firing at them to keep them in no man's land and rip them apart in 1 or 2 more shots.

Try to not fire on things like triple AMS Kitfoxes or anyone packing dual AMS, pick better targets if possible.

They end up being like SRMs that you peek with instead of brawl with, so if you're a born skirmisher they'll be perfect for you and also let you poke people with light damage at various ranges, though I tend to not bring a boatload of ammo like with LRMs, so I don't fire past 500m. Also go for weapon range nodes in the weapons tree and adv target decay, this raises your optimal range profiles and lets you get in some extra hits people would normally have dodged.

Edited by Dakota1000, 13 August 2017 - 05:24 PM.

#13 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:32 PM

View PostDakota1000, on 13 August 2017 - 05:18 PM, said:

SNIP

Sounds like I'm just not bringing a heavy enough mech to overcome AMS (Been trying on a 6xATM3 Huntsman I fire in either 3xATM3 pairs or as huge groups).

Oh well, no biggy, doesn't sound like my jam anyway. Maybe I'll give it another whirl after I finish my current project, figuring out and using MRMs properly. Trying an MRM80 CPLT-C1 at the moment.

Thanks, though!

EDIT: 48 damage first match. This bodes well.

Edited by Bombast, 13 August 2017 - 05:41 PM.

#14 N a p e s

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:09 PM

View PostBombast, on 13 August 2017 - 05:32 PM, said:

Sounds like I'm just not bringing a heavy enough mech to overcome AMS (Been trying on a 6xATM3 Huntsman I fire in either 3xATM3 pairs or as huge groups).

Oh well, no biggy, doesn't sound like my jam anyway. Maybe I'll give it another whirl after I finish my current project, figuring out and using MRMs properly. Trying an MRM80 CPLT-C1 at the moment.

Thanks, though!

I was super excited about MRMs being added the game but seems I'm worth as much with them as I am not bringing any weapons at all... Oh well

#15 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:15 PM

View PostN a p e s, on 13 August 2017 - 06:09 PM, said:

I was super excited about MRMs being added the game but seems I'm worth as much with them as I am not bringing any weapons at all... Oh well

I just finished my third match with them. It was the only win, and the only one where I got over 100 damage.

I am HATING MRMs. Velocity and spread mean its more of an area-of-effect weapon, hard as hell to hit anything that's not point blank with enough force to actually hurt them, and just BAD. Can't trade at medium range, can't poke, can't even really brawl with the damn things. Seem useless, unless you're in a hard point starved mech.

#16 Dr Hobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 530 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:17 PM

View PostBombast, on 13 August 2017 - 06:15 PM, said:

I just finished my third match with them. It was the only win, and the only one where I got over 100 damage.

I am HATING MRMs. Velocity and spread mean its more of an area-of-effect weapon, hard as hell to hit anything that's not point blank with enough force to actually hurt them, and just BAD. Can't trade at medium range, can't poke, can't even really brawl with the damn things. Seem useless, unless you're in a hard point starved mech.

Right now,MRMs are best used as a backup as free damage,or extremely boated,like on mechs like the Cyclops,Archer or Catapult. MRMS arent killers *****,but armor strippers. Thats what I use my Archer 5W for with it's Katyusha build. All Im there to do is cause enemy panic and loss of armor.

View PostBombast, on 13 August 2017 - 05:32 PM, said:

Thanks, though!

Dont use ATMs in AMS heavy scenarios,also,don't use ATMs at max range where LRMs are better. I also wont run full ATM loadouts and I mix SSRMs into it(as they share a common range,if you fire at 270M you're gonna bring a world of hurt)

#17 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:31 PM

View PostDr Hobo, on 13 August 2017 - 07:17 PM, said:

Right now,MRMs are best used as a backup as free damage,or extremely boated,like on mechs like the Cyclops,Archer or Catapult. MRMS arent killers *****,but armor strippers. Thats what I use my Archer 5W for with it's Katyusha build. All Im there to do is cause enemy panic and loss of armor.

I just could not get anything done with MRMs. Either combat happened at the extremes of my range, and even an MRM80 didn't do ****, or we were brawling, and I got out-fought with SRMs or Lasers or whatever.

Oh well. Think I'm going to fool around with my SRM24, 2xMPL, 2xLMG Jager for a bit.

View PostDr Hobo, on 13 August 2017 - 07:17 PM, said:

Dont use ATMs in AMS heavy scenarios,also,don't use ATMs at max range where LRMs are better. I also wont run full ATM loadouts and I mix SSRMs into it(as they share a common range,if you fire at 270M you're gonna bring a world of hurt)

I try to close, but I kind of had the same problem with ATMs as I did MRMs (Though their mechanically different) - At range they're useless and completely inferior to LRMs, and up close I'm better off with SRMs. Particularly in a Huntsman - Why carefully maneuver to get max damage with minimum return fire when I can just poptart an SRM24A?

I'm kind of bummed out with this Civil War update. Besides RACs, everythings been a bust so far.

#18 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:33 PM

I was trying to figure out possible builds for the mad dog recently as well. Unfortunately, the EBJ does almost everything much better for only 5 tons more, with the exception of missiles. You basically have only a few options. Here are the ones I came up with :

-Mad dog prime with 4x HML and 2x ATM-9s. 4.5 tons of ammo, light active probe for anti-ECM. Unfortunately, easily shut down by ECM, AMS or people reversing behind a rock before your missiles can reach them.

-Lasers + SRMs brawler. Personally I run 5x ERSL, 4x SRM-4s with artemis and lots of heatsinks. Unfortunately, this means you are going up against LPL boats with the tonnage disadvantage, usually battlemasters, warhammers or black knights, and they will take out your side torso in no time while you can only hit their arms while they torso twist.

-Full SRM boat, no lasers, i dont like this as no lasers leaves you vulnerabe against fast moving mechs.

#19 MadRover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 568 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 04:55 AM

View PostJun Watarase, on 13 August 2017 - 07:33 PM, said:

I was trying to figure out possible builds for the mad dog recently as well. Unfortunately, the EBJ does almost everything much better for only 5 tons more, with the exception of missiles. You basically have only a few options. Here are the ones I came up with :

-Mad dog prime with 4x HML and 2x ATM-9s. 4.5 tons of ammo, light active probe for anti-ECM. Unfortunately, easily shut down by ECM, AMS or people reversing behind a rock before your missiles can reach them.

-Lasers + SRMs brawler. Personally I run 5x ERSL, 4x SRM-4s with artemis and lots of heatsinks. Unfortunately, this means you are going up against LPL boats with the tonnage disadvantage, usually battlemasters, warhammers or black knights, and they will take out your side torso in no time while you can only hit their arms while they torso twist.

-Full SRM boat, no lasers, i dont like this as no lasers leaves you vulnerabe against fast moving mechs.

Don't worry. The Bandit is going to fix that somewhat and you'll have arms that actually move.

#20 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 05:12 AM

best LRM dog is 5xLRM10 + Narc + 2 MLs (or HMLs)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users