Hag Weapon Mechanic Idea

6 replies to this topic

#1 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:08 AM

So I was thinking of how HAGs might work in MWO and how they'd sort of function as the Clan's RAC.

So the idea is that you charge up the HAG like a gauss or similar to RAC spin up, after that you fire off something like 10 shells in a row in about 2 seconds doing 2/3/4 damage each depending on what type of HAG it is, after you do that it goes into a reload sequence similar to a RAC's jam time.

RACs would work as the machine gun they are now while HAGs would be more of a burst weapon

A HAG20 would be the one that compares with a RAC5, HAG30 and HAG40 would be heavier and stronger than the lighter HAG20. A HAG20 would have higher burst damage but the RAC5 would have higher DPS, and potentially much higher DPS if fired into the red. The HAG would also be similar to a gauss in that it is fragile and explodes when crit while its ammo doesn't.

I'd say give the HAGs their 2 second fire time and 3 second reload time, a HAG20 would have 4 DPS, HAG30 would have 6 DPS, and HAG40 would have 8 DPS.

I feel that at 2 seconds for their burst the HAG will not be viable for front loaded damage builds, but may potentially pair well with heavy lasers, making it a high damage weapon that is also easily spread, good for taking out heavy and slow targets. It would also add the top two heaviest Clan ballistics in the game with the HAG40 and HAG30.

What are your opinions on my idea for the HAG's mechanics in MWO if it is ever added? Do you have your own ideas?

#2 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:40 AM

That's actually one of the most popular idea that has been floating around (charge with stream fire). I think I agree with it.

Not sure about the 2 secs duration, though.

#3 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 17 August 2017 - 12:05 PM

They'd work like a burst LB-X. Anything else is a no-go.

#4 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 01:48 PM

perhaps, but remember Clan also get RACs avalable to them when they get HAGs,
rather than having shells that do 2/3/4 damage, have them all do 1Damage,
and use that to control the Burst Length,

HAG20 = 20Shells over 1Sec after Charge,
HAG30 = 30Shells over 1.5Secs after Charge,
HAG40 = 40Shells over 2Secs after Charge,

#5 Sixpack

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 244 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 01:52 PM

Highly depends on how well the client and server can handle the communication with all those projectiles flying around. Would be annoying if 50% of your damage gets lost.

#6 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 02:10 PM

View PostAndi Nagasia, on 17 August 2017 - 01:48 PM, said:

but remember Clan also get RACs avalable to them when they get HAGs,

Sorry, Clans get the RAC in 3104, and the HAG in 3068. But I really think we should not introduce Jihad-era weapons like HAG or the Plasma Rifle, much less Republic-era tech...

I mean, where does it end? 3068 alone means a lot new tech, and most of it for the IS:

Inner Sphere
Light Autocannon 2 & 5 (prototype: 3062)
Plasma Rifle (prototype: 3061)
Machine Gun Arrays (prototype: 3066)
Compact Fusion Engine (prototype: 3065)
Multi Missile Launchers (prototype:3067)
Heavy Flamer [Clan Heavy and ER Flamer date to 3067]

Clans
Hyper Assault Gauss Rifle (prototype: 3062)

PSA: Sarna.net, while awesome, is a fan-project, and there are errors and inconsistencies. Especially when it comes to the introduction dates of weapons it is a mess, sometimes listing prototype dates, sometimes production dates, and rarely making clear what is production and what is protoytpe date.
So please, do not use Sarna.
I am using the Universal Technology Advancement Table from the Interstellar Operations Sourcebook, which a most comprehensive and most recent canon source.

#7 Snowbluff

• Bad Company
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 02:57 PM

To avoid server issues, 5 damage slugs sound likely. HAG 20 might be OP this way, but maybe HAGs should have a long CD.

View PostAthom83, on 17 August 2017 - 12:05 PM, said:

They'd work like a burst LB-X. Anything else is a no-go.

Great, then no one would use them until LBX get a fixed spread. :l
So you're a no-go.

Edited by Snowbluff, 17 August 2017 - 02:58 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users