Itt: Sell Me An Assault Mech

2 replies to this topic

#1 NWGIX

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 06:19 PM

I'm getting ready to buy my first assault mech and the Supernova-C has been grabbing my eyes. I like having those 4 lasers in the torso and from my experience they seem kinda tanky. Would this be a good purchase or should I hold off on something else.

#2 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:55 AM

Hmm, depends - what other mechs have you been using thus far? The Supernova is quite slow even with a big engine so you can't really afford to make a positioning screw up. However every assault pilot had to start somewhere so if you think you're ready for the potential heartbreak then I'd say go for it. I only have experience with the base pack variants and the hero so I'm not sure how the -C plays

#3 Brethren

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 03:43 AM

Like Audacious Aubergine said, you need to be aware of a couple of things.

The SNV-C is a 90 ton mech with 8 energy hardpoints and a low (325) engine cap.
This means that...
  • you won't be fast
  • you're likely to get a hot mech, because it's energy only
  • the engine is light (compared to 90 tons overall) and energy weapons are quite lightweight, too. Thus you'll have to bring Large Lasers (ER, Heavy or Pulse) or PPCs to fill 90 tons. (4 LPL and 4 ER Meds would work I suppose.)
If you can work with this, just go ahead.

A working alternative (good hitboxes, lots of energy and more flexibility engine wise) would be a Marauder IIC (MAD-IIC) at 85 tons. It's got 9 energy (5 torso, 4 arms) and an engine cap of 400.
So you could decide to bring big energy weapons and a 'lower' engine (350 or 375) or lighter energy weapons and a big engine (400 makes for a damn fast assault mech).

Edited by Brethren, 21 August 2017 - 03:44 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users